Pitino Admits to affair

I'm sorry but this just gives me the creepy crawlies. Ewwwwww

I hope Cory Joseph is taking notice! I think Louisville may be tops for his services.

This admission certainly hurts his squeeky-clean family-man status. Wow, the fall-out could be tremendous....endorsements and all.

This admission certainly hurts his squeeky-clean family-man status. Wow, the fall-out could be tremendous....endorsements and all.

What squeaky clean, family man status? Pitino has no such reputation.

This is just the first public admission of what he has long been considered (an adulterer).

what a mess!

This Pitino ordeal just makes me glad that we have Tubby,a man of superior class and character. We will never have to worry about Tubby doing anything that would embarrass the Uof M. GO GOPHERS.

I don't know if that's ever been true in the public viewpoint but it wasn't common knowledge outside of the state. This isn't the first time Pitino's been in a situation like this at either Louisville or Kentucky. This is just the first time he put his hand in the wrong cookie jar.

You think that trip to the Cleveland Clinic a couple of years ago when Kevin Willard had to coach the team was for the flu?

I hope Cory Joseph is taking notice! I think Louisville may be tops for his services.

UofL had cooled on Joseph a lot. They've put him on the back burner for the pursuit of Marquis Teague in 2011 for some reason.

This Pitino ordeal just makes me glad that we have Tubby,a man of superior class and character. We will never have to worry about Tubby doing anything that would embarrass the Uof M. GO GOPHERS.

Agreed with an added caveat. This is exactly what I thought about Clem too. I'm not saying Tubby is anything close to a cheater like Clem, but I also gave up believing that celebrities/politicians/sports figures are angels a long time ago. It makes enjoying sports much more enjoyable when I don't worry about certain players/coaches ethics or sordid tales. That being said, I appreciate Tubby's squeaky clean image.

One other note on Clem: I remember attending Clem's basketball camps as a kid and he always lectured us about "doing the right thing," respecting our parents and elders, and working hard on the court and in the classroom. I remember one of the assistant coaches actually grabbing a kid wearing a Michigan jersey and chewing him out in front of the whole camp. He was mad because of what the Michigan jersey represented: "cheating, poor sportsmanship, etc, etc." While I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, I've been around long enough to know that what looks like a duck is not always a duck.

Agreed with an added caveat. This is exactly what I thought about Clem too. I'm not saying Tubby is anything close to a cheater like Clem, but I also gave up believing that celebrities/politicians/sports figures are angels a long time ago. It makes enjoying sports much more enjoyable when I don't worry about certain players/coaches ethics or sordid tales. That being said, I appreciate Tubby's squeaky clean image.

One other note on Clem: I remember attending Clem's basketball camps as a kid and he always lectured us about "doing the right thing," respecting our parents and elders, and working hard on the court and in the classroom. I remember one of the assistant coaches actually grabbing a kid wearing a Michigan jersey and chewing him out in front of the whole camp. He was mad because of what the Michigan jersey represented: "cheating, poor sportsmanship, etc, etc." While I give everyone the benefit of the doubt, I've been around long enough to know that what looks like a duck is not always a duck.

I find it rather ironic that in the local Louisville paper two pages down from the story about Pitino's legal problems 'which he brought on himself, is an ad for a motivational seminar with Pitino listed as the hottest coach in college basketball. Perhaps, but for all the wrong reasons. GO GOPHERS!

There's a huge moral equivocation going on here. Clem Haskins isn't a bad man for what happened at Minnesota. Did he make poor choices? Yes but what he did wasn't wrong considering the system of college athletics themselves is the problem.

Rick Pitino is married man and father who engaged in a sexual liaison outside of marriage (and not the first time) in a restaurant and then paid the women 3,000 dollars to have an abortion-something that is against the supposed faith that he has been quick to profess his devotion to when it serves him.

The Truth

I'm not sure how much you know about the Haskins situation but based on your response you are only factoring in the academic fraud aspect. It actually went beyond that into the realm of covering up crimes. The system of college athletics can't be held responsible for him trying to stop a stalking victim from filing charges.

There's a huge moral equivocation going on here. Clem Haskins isn't a bad man for what happened at Minnesota. Did he make poor choices? Yes but what he did wasn't wrong considering the system of college athletics themselves is the problem.

Rick Pitino is married man and father who engaged in a sexual liaison outside of marriage (and not the first time) in a restaurant and then paid the women 3,000 dollars to have an abortion-something that is against the supposed faith that he has been quick to profess his devotion to when it serves him.

What Clem did was wrong by every stretch of the imagination, he had a choice as a grown man to do the right thing and not cheat but he did. According to your logic if others are cheating then it is okay, which it is not just like what Pitino did is wrong. The sad thing is that Pitino will still get his recruits though i don't know how any parent could send their kid to play for a coach with such poor morals who is supposed to guide and lead your son and help him develop as a man.

What Clem did was wrong by every stretch of the imagination, he had a choice as a grown man to do the right thing and not cheat but he did. According to your logic if others are cheating then it is okay, which it is not.

Cheating to win basketball games and keep players in school isn't the same as a married guy (one who makes millions on the lecture circuit talking about things like "the ethics of business") banging a girl on the dessert cart and then paying for her to have the child terminated because it's a potential nuisance to his career and a drain on his back account.

Cheating to win basketball games and keep players in school isn't the same as a married guy (one who makes millions on the lecture circuit talking about things like "the ethics of business") banging a girl on the dessert cart and then paying for her to have the child terminated because it's a potential nuisance to his career and a drain on his back account.

You are correct, one is illegal (according to NCAA) and unethical and the other is immoral. Both are bad and inexcusable. One gets you banned by the NCAA and the other does not.

Pitino now say,s that he did not give the woman $3000 for an abortion but rather so she could buy health insurance.LOL. The president of uL say,s he did not know of the abortion part of the story and want,s to have a talk with Pitino. There is a morality clause in his contract.

I'm not going to link it but Pitino issued his statement at a press conference earlier this evening.

I'm going to be blunt: For a man I regard as one of the greatest shit shovelers of all time...this was probably his masterpiece. It was both awe inspiring and extremely pathetic to watch a man invoke not only his dead brother in law Billy Minardi but 9/11 in his defense.

I'm not going to link it but Pitino issued his statement at a press conference earlier this evening.

I'm going to be blunt: For a man I regard as one of the greatest shit shovelers of all time...this was probably his masterpiece. It was both awe inspiring and extremely pathetic to watch a man invoke not only his dead brother in law Billy Minardi but 9/11 in his defense.

Clearly he's in desperate "job saving" mode. No matter how he sugarcoats it, though, there are going to be some recruits scared off by this, no doubt.

His statement pretty much follows the script of what Washington "damage control" experts recommend to politicians in big trouble.... come totally clean, project a human side, beg for forgiveness, reiterate your passion in your job/cause/constituency, resolve to move forward.

Honestly, I really don't see the big deal with Pitino's situation. He had an affair. So what? Amongst athletes and coaches, this happens fairly often in major sports. Look at Michael Vick. He tortured and executed hundreds of dogs. He is an incredibly sick person and yet he has been reinstated and will probably find a home as a backup this season. Is the real issue that Pitino paid to have an abortion? Last time I checked, abortion was legal. Did I miss something in this story?

. Did I miss something in this story?

Yes. The sordid and unseemly nature of an affair involving a public figure who has made millions off his reputation and always is quick to remind us of his faith.

You think this is the first time this has happened? No, it's just the first time he messed with a lady who was nuts enough to ask for more than she was given. There's a whole lot more to this story that's going to come out over the next year and it's going to be brutal.

Here's something you may not know: When Pitino was with the Celtics he fired one of his assistant coaches. The reason? Infidelity. The Celtics were having training camp at a Catholic university and the assistant coach was caring on an affair with a student. Morality clauses are only for the little people it seems.

Honestly, I really don't see the big deal with Pitino's situation. He had an affair. So what? Amongst athletes and coaches, this happens fairly often in major sports. Look at Michael Vick. He tortured and executed hundreds of dogs. He is an incredibly sick person and yet he has been reinstated and will probably find a home as a backup this season. Is the real issue that Pitino paid to have an abortion? Last time I checked, abortion was legal. Did I miss something in this story?

Kentucky fans seem the ones who are most excited about the story. It's an affair that had gone array. He's certainly not the only person in sports to have affairs and won't be the last. The bottom line is that he will be the coach at Louisville for the foreseeable future. He's not being accused of any crimes. And this was something that happened a long time ago.

Kentucky fans seem the ones who are most excited about the story. It's an affair that had gone array. He's certainly not the only person in sports to have affairs and won't be the last. The bottom line is that he will be the coach at Louisville for the foreseeable future. He's not being accused of any crimes. And this was something that happened a long time ago.

Nonsense. And when Sypher's trial starts (and assuming the way the judge allows her defense to proceed) a lot more stuff is going to come out that suggests that this wasn't just an isolated incident nor was it the first time Rick was in this situation.

I have no love for Pitino or Sypher over this. They are adults who acted in a stupid, childish manner and should have made better decisions. I feel sorry for Joanne and Rick's children as well as Karen Sypher's. Those are the real victims in all this.

Has anyone else seen the photo of Karen Sypher in today's issue of Sporting News Today? Anyone care to comment? I can only say ... WOW

Certainly the story matters little outside of KY boundaries.

Agreed

Gross, she looks like the 45-50 year old women at my gym who still think they're 25.

Disclaimer: I am not condoning Pitino's actions, and in fact this story confirmed a lot of what my previous, but yet unfounded, gut reaction/sentiments were, but . . .

I got more of a Glenn Close-in-Fatal Attraction vibe, and decidedly not the other.

:eek:

Top Bottom