Pirsig injury?

balds

Reaction score
A knee injury, on crutches after practice. Anybody know anything further?

Wondering also - it didn't come up on Sports Huddle, apparently.

I am not sure they are allowed to answer those questions, other than acknowledging the injury exists, until the student authorizes them to say. Secondly, they may not really know yet.
I was impressed with Pirsig in drills. For a guy that height to work in the drills under the blocking cage as well as he did was impressive. He may still need to get stronger, but he is a physically talented player.

It's really too bad. Seemed to be in a lot of pain on the field but was doing much better once they got him to the cart towards the training room. Hopefully it's minor.

I saw Pirsig play in HS. I think he has a lot of potential, but the big challenge for him is learning to go up against people who are just as big and strong as he is. In HS, he had such a huge physical advantage that he didn't need clean technique to dominate the line of scrimmage. Even without the injury, I don't expect to see him play a lot this year. I would compare him to Tyler Marz of Springfield - another big man from a small school who dominated smaller opponents. In fact, I would say that Marz was more developed at the same age, compared to Pirsig, and Marz hasn't cracked the lineup yet at Wisconsin. Still, I wish the Gophs would have gone after Marz - but he reportedly said he wanted to go to a winning program. (thanks, Coach Brew.....)

Tweet earlier today

PiPress Gophers Now‏@GophersNow
Offensive tackle Jonah Pirsig who injured his leg over the weekend missed practice but was not on crutches. Doesn't seem too serious.

Tweet earlier today

PiPress Gophers Now‏@GophersNow
Offensive tackle Jonah Pirsig who injured his leg over the weekend missed practice but was not on crutches. Doesn't seem too serious.

Joe Christianson and Nate Sandell both said it had to do with his knee-cap which he has issues ACL or other ligament. Sandell said he was told there were no tears of anything, so it sounds like it might be a spring practice ender, but he should be fine to go by Fall.

If he has a "trick" knee cap, it can slide out of position which means your patellar tendon does not have any strenth at that point. I had one playing touch football in the service. Whenever it went out, only twice, the leg had no strength for a week and then it slowly improved. It is a lot better than tearing a ligament (no comparison), but he may need to wear a special brace to keep it in place.
I think I saw him at practice today, he had an orange jersey on and was walking without crutches, but he was limping while he walked and could not jog slowly without a limp. He, E Olson and Mottla were there at the start and then left for what ever therapy and work they do for rehab.
I take this as good news, but the problem is that if that is the problem, sometimes it takes a while for the knee cap to become reliable.

I saw Pirsig play in HS. I think he has a lot of potential, but the big challenge for him is learning to go up against people who are just as big and strong as he is. In HS, he had such a huge physical advantage that he didn't need clean technique to dominate the line of scrimmage. Even without the injury, I don't expect to see him play a lot this year. I would compare him to Tyler Marz of Springfield - another big man from a small school who dominated smaller opponents. In fact, I would say that Marz was more developed at the same age, compared to Pirsig, and Marz hasn't cracked the lineup yet at Wisconsin. Still, I wish the Gophs would have gone after Marz - but he reportedly said he wanted to go to a winning program. (thanks, Coach Brew.....)

I doubt it would have been different with Mason coaching. I'm pretty sure Glen thought that the 507 area code was somewhere in Canada.

Joe Christianson and Nate Sandell both said it had to do with his knee-cap which he has issues ACL or other ligament. Sandell said he was told there were no tears of anything, so it sounds like it might be a spring practice ender, but he should be fine to go by Fall.

I reliably heard that he dislocated his patella. I'm not sure what the recovery is like for that, but it isn't anything serious.

Ok, guys. Do you realize that unless this injury is reported by the team, that this entire thread could lead to closed practice? Gophersports ARE watching it.

Was there anybody that was there and saw Pirsig get hurt that didn't sign the non-disclosure agreement?

Hell, last year we had a whole thread about keeping quiet about the punters shanking kicks in practice...

Ok, guys. Do you realize that unless this injury is reported by the team, that this entire thread could lead to closed practice? Gophersports ARE watching it.

Was there anybody that was there and saw Pirsig get hurt that didn't sign the non-disclosure agreement?

Hell, last year we had a whole thread about keeping quiet about the punters shanking kicks in practice...

I appreciate the take and would normally agree with you, but this has been well documented in the mainstream media, both by Joe C in the Strib & by numerous others via Twitter and the like. It's not like some GH'er broke the news on this or is talking about position changes or trick plays. Everyone knows Jonah is hurt. Still though, I hear what you're saying and appreciate you looking after our right to attend practices...which I really enjoy.

pretty sure this whole site is a non factor in u of m decision making.

This is a bummer....really wanted Pirsig to get lots of reps this spring so he could compete for a starting spot. I didn't think he would start next year, but with a great spring and summer...he had a shot. Now I think he is looking at 2014, especially with how careful Kill is about injuries. He wont want to risk losing a R-FR for a year or more by pushing him too hard.

I am fine with deleting the thread and outlawing future injury threads if those are the rules.

I thought the news was broken here. I stand corrected.

I'm shocked that there was no sign in. I've been at a half dozen practices since Kill took over and at all had to give my name and address before I entered. Of course, I'm a blabbermouth by nature.

I'm sure the U football staff would just laugh at Gopherhole if they ever read it.

Top Bottom