PiPress: U's minus-4 turnover margin doesn't bode well

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Saturday marked the third straight game Minnesota has failed to force a turnover. In five games, the Gophers (3-2, 0-1) are minus-4 in turnover margin, tied for 101st in the nation.

In coach Jerry Kill's first four seasons, the trajectory of the Gophers program has run parallel to its turnover margin.

Each year the Gophers have improved: from minus-8 in 2011 to minus-2 in 2012, plus-3 in 2013 and plus-10 a year ago. Last season's margin ranked 15th nationally and helped Minnesota win eight games for the second straight season.

Defensive coordinator Tracy Claeys said interceptions and fumble recoveries can be like gifts.

"Well-coached offenses don't turn the ball over, so I'm not one to lose as much sleep over turnovers," Claeys said before the Northwestern game. "If we get them, it's like Christmas."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_28935386/gophers-minus-4-turnover-margin-doesnt-bode-well

Go Gophers!!

"Well-coached offenses don't turn the ball over".

Guess we know how Claeys feels about Limegrover.

"Well-coached offenses don't turn the ball over".

Guess we know how Claeys feels about Limegrover.

I get that people like to pile on guys like Limegrover and Leidner when things are going badly, but in the 2013 and 2014 seasons combined, the Gophers averaged the 2nd least amount of turnovers lost per game in the Big Ten at 1.38. The only team better was Michigan St. at 1.11. The worst over that time frame was Nebraska at 2.08 per game.

I get this year has been different but it's not like the offense has been turnover machines all the time.

We haven't been all that close either.

Hoping the law of averages catches up soon.

Top Bottom