PiPress: Tubby Smith returns to his old lineup

BleedGopher

Reaction score

Yes, please move on - tho a game too late.

per Marcus:

Gophers coach Tubby Smith is returning to the lineup that helped the University of Minnesota upset No. 1 Indiana and started 14 Big Ten games this season.

"I probably won't go with the (four seniors) lineup because I didn't like it," Smith said. "It did well (against Penn State), but I've got to move on."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22748650/gophers-basketball-tubby-smith-returns-his-old-lineup

Go Gophers!!

Yeah would have been nice if he had reached the obvious conclusion that Engram, and Welch are not starters a game sooner but what can you expect...not like he is around these guys everyday and would know what is painfully obvious to anyone who has watched those guys play this season....oh wait ummmm

I'll take Welsh and Ingram over Coleman and Rodney right now. Did you see who was more productive the past few games?

Yeah would have been nice if he had reached the obvious conclusion that Engram, and Welch are not starters a game sooner but what can you expect...not like he is around these guys everyday and would know what is painfully obvious to anyone who has watched those guys play this season....oh wait ummmm

Good point. Probably would have realized it if he would spend more time running practices rather than delegating to Saul....

per Marcus:

Gophers coach Tubby Smith is returning to the lineup that helped the University of Minnesota upset No. 1 Indiana and started 14 Big Ten games this season.

"I probably won't go with the (four seniors) lineup because I didn't like it," Smith said. "It did well (against Penn State), but I've got to move on."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci_22748650/gophers-basketball-tubby-smith-returns-his-old-lineup

Go Gophers!!

Who would have thought that the lineup would perform differently than it did at home against a 1-14 team?

Who would have thought that the lineup would perform differently than it did at home against a 1-14 team?

+1000. Senior night came at a bad time given that we finally had a rotation in place that made sense in the Indiana game

Good point. Probably would have realized it if he would spend more time running practices rather than delegating to Saul....

Just would like to know if you have any information that Tubby was delegating practice sessions to Saul? Thanks

It is March 8, 2013 and one would think that any coach, let alone a HOF coach, would have known a month ago, what combinations of players mesh to enable a logical substitution pattern...IMO

If nothing else, Ingram took some major steps in the right direction. Great role player. Too bad he's a senior.

It is March 8, 2013 and one would think that any coach, let alone a HOF coach, would have known a month ago, what combinations of players mesh to enable a logical substitution pattern...IMO

Tubby realizes that he can't fight history after reading Savage's posts, so why even try!!!

Tubby realizes that he can't fight history after reading Savage's posts, so why even try!!!

Do people still not know the difference between expectations and possibilities?

Do people still not know the difference between expectations and possibilities?

Has nothing to do with expectations, either. You can't statistically justify an argument of a program has always been mediocre, hence it will be medicore in a given year. If you weight factors such as administrative support or academic requirements (see Northwestern), then there is likely predictive power there.

Has nothing to do with expectations, either. You can't statistically justify an argument of a program has always been mediocre, hence it will be medicore in a given year. If you weight factors such as administrative support or academic requirements (see Northwestern), then there is likely predictive power there.

Correct. But if a program has always lacked administrative support, and will lack it the very next season, what would be the basis for your expectations changing?

Now, if the U builds a $30 million practice facility (shows new support) absolutely expectations should change. You should expect better recruits and more wins.

When Tubby was hired, expectations went up. Had Monson still been coach and kept trending where he was would you be expecting a tourney run this year? Probably not. IMO, some expectations went up too much because of Tubby, but regardless they went up for everyone and they have not yet been met.

Correct. But if a program has always lacked administrative support, and will lack it the very next season, what would be the basis for your expectations changing?

Now, if the U builds a $30 million practice facility (shows new support) absolutely expectations should change. You should expect better recruits and more wins.

When Tubby was hired, expectations went up. Had Monson still been coach and kept trending where he was would you be expecting a tourney run this year? Probably not. IMO, some expectations went up too much because of Tubby, but regardless they went up for everyone and they have not yet been met.

Largely agree except for the composition of Tubby's returning team and reasonable expectations associated with said composition

Huh?

I like most of your analysis on this board. We brought in a high profile coach, who IMHO hasn't gotten the job done. I don't know the football equivalent but let's say if Bob Stoops came here, would you expect/accept a bottom half of the conference finish after six years? I won't accept it out of Jerry Kill let alone Tubby.

Take all your expectations and history, and throw them out the window.

Here's the facts:
6 years with no conference record above 500.
5 years(possibly 6) with no NCAA Tournament wins.

Is that acceptable?

What are the prospects for next year?

Whether you place more importance on conference record or NCAA Tournament wins, it's not very impressive.

So if Tubby didn't like the senior lineup, why is he using it again to start the Purdue Game?

I still think that after starting 15-1, 3-0 in conference, with a win against MSU and ranked 8 in the country, we should have been able to base some expectations for the second half of the year on what those personnel were capable of that is better than what we got.

Just would like to know if you have any information that Tubby was delegating practice sessions to Saul? Thanks

I've never seen it first hand but have heard it from good sources. One of the insiders would need to spill the beans if they are willing

Top Bottom