PiPress: Three still competing to be Mitch Leidner’s backup

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

Gophers coach Tracy Claeys has yet to choose the backup quarterback to incumbent starter Mitch Leidner for the season opener against Oregon State on Sept. 1.

Claeys said he was “torn” over how the candidates — Conor Rhoda, Demry Croft and Seth Green — have played since training camp opened Aug. 5.

“Obviously, Mitch is ahead of everybody else,” Claeys said. “So, now you’ve got to decide if you get into an injury situation, who gives you the best opportunity to win? And for the first game, you make that decision based off what you’ve seen so far.”

Claeys anticipates releasing a depth chart Tuesday, and the backup quarterback spot might be listed as a tie. “A true one will probably be decided after this week to see how those other guys handle the game plan that they put in,” he said.

http://www.twincities.com/2016/08/22/gophers-three-still-competing-to-be-mitch-leidners-backup/

Go Gophers!!

Here is how I think this will go. They will name CR the backup. People will melt down that he beat out DC and SG. The sky will be falling. Here's the catch. Depth Charts mean next to nothing. I think Claeys looks at last year and wishes every time Croft went in that it would have been Rhoda. He won't make that mistake this year. If it is mop up duty, a play or two, or even a short period of up to a game or so at a certain time in the year he will bring out Rhoda in the hope of red-shirting DC and SG. But, if we need our backup to play an extended period of time I would place a big bet it that it won't be CR regardless of what the depth chart says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is how I think this will go. They will name CR the backup. People will melt down that he beat out DC and SG. The sky will be falling. Here's the catch. Depth Charts mean next to nothing. I think Claeys looks at last year and wishes every time Croft went in that it would have been Rhoda. He won't make that mistake this year. If it is mop up duty, a play or two, or even a short period of up to a game or so at a certain time in the year he will bring out Rhoda in the hope of red-shirting DC and SG. But, if we need our backup to play an extended period of time I would place a big bet it that it won't be CR regardless of what the depth chart says.

Don't know that I'd place that bet. Agree that Green or Croft might get some playing time as back-ups...for Rhoda. I expect Mitch will be healthy all year.

I'm hoping so, I agree that if you're settled on a starter the backup QB spot can mean squat.

Backup for garbage time /= backup who comes in or starts if there is serious playing time to be had.

Man it would be great to have some games with garbage time!

This article can't be right. I was told here by ruppert that Mark Williams will be the backup.

I'm starting to miss the days when posters were swooning over Parra's ability to throw perfect spirals.

I'm starting to miss the days when posters were swooning over Parra's ability to throw perfect spirals.

Interesting point. I noticed ML7 doesn't always throw a great spiral. Not sure if it has been talked about on here before, but could be an interesting discussion. What do others think about ML7's spiral/non-spiral?

I hope the Gophers are driving the garbage truck this year.

Interesting point. I noticed ML7 doesn't always throw a great spiral. Not sure if it has been talked about on here before, but could be an interesting discussion. What do others think about ML7's spiral/non-spiral?

Wounded duck from what I'm hearing.

Mitch's always threw great spirals in high school. The spiral quality only dropped when he got to the university. Mitch is a good guy and he's not gonna knock the program so clearly the lack of tight spirals was intentional and they were intended as messages to the fans that he wasn't happy with the offensive coordinator.

Leidner was a guest on Reusse's afternoon radio show on Monday. Very interesting comments about differences under new offensive coordinator. to paraphrase - Leidner said last year, "if they called a running play in the huddle, we went up to the line of scrimmage and ran that play." He made it sound like the QB's had very little room to change a play, and if I heard right, he said they could not audible from a run to a pass. Under the new system, the QB comes up to the line, checks the defensive set, and is expected to be able to change the play to take advantage of what the defense is doing. So, a lot more responsibility for the QB, but if he makes the right call, hopefully will be able to stay out of negative-yardage plays.

I don't care if they play either Croft or Green as long as they actually play them regularly (not starting, just a drive or series here or there) once their RS is burned. Not for a small handful of plays in garbage time for two games.

I still remember watching the Northwestern game and questioning why they played Demry Croft last year. It made no sense whatsoever when you had Parra and Rhoda, unless the plan was to regularly play him. Which was basically shown not to be the case (granted, he ended up getting injured).

Reading between the lines, I'm questioning if Rhoda is under-performing compared to Croft and Green. I'd think otherwise it'd be a slam dunk. Only other theory is if they're questioning whether Croft could legitimately ever beat out Green, and thus making his RS this year a moot point (if he's not expected to start, does that extra year really matter?).

Or it could just be gamesmanship and they've known for months who is QB2, QB3, etc.

I'd say it doesn't matter as long as Leidner is healthy, but I'm hoping to see Leidner on the bench with a drink in his hand and smile on his face for the fourth quarter of every game this year. :)

I hope green takes zero snaps. Even better if they could rs croft too

I hope green takes zero snaps. Even better if they could rs croft too

I'm not sure anyone has really mentioned Green yet since it is his first year. I'm sure croft gets a RS if they don't have to put him in.

Leidner was a guest on Reusse's afternoon radio show on Monday. Very interesting comments about differences under new offensive coordinator. to paraphrase - Leidner said last year, "if they called a running play in the huddle, we went up to the line of scrimmage and ran that play." He made it sound like the QB's had very little room to change a play, and if I heard right, he said they could not audible from a run to a pass. Under the new system, the QB comes up to the line, checks the defensive set, and is expected to be able to change the play to take advantage of what the defense is doing. So, a lot more responsibility for the QB, but if he makes the right call, hopefully will be able to stay out of negative-yardage plays.

He had similar comments when talking to BTN. I would hope this leads to more positive offensive opportunities this season, but if Leidner isn't able to handle that sort of responsibility or doubts himself, things could go south.

For all those that have been saying the offense won't change much, I'd say that this is a fundamental change in the offense as a whole. Will be fun to watch.

i'm looking forward to seeing a healthy Mitch Leidner

He had similar comments when talking to BTN. I would hope this leads to more positive offensive opportunities this season, but if Leidner isn't able to handle that sort of responsibility or doubts himself, things could go south.

For all those that have been saying the offense won't change much, I'd say that this is a fundamental change in the offense as a whole. Will be fun to watch.

When Leidner had his wheels and could move in the bowl game against Syracuse I thought he was at his best.
Looking forward to the season and seeing Mitch take some busted plays and turn them into some gainers as he escapes the pass rush. His ability to slide away from the pressure and make decisive decisions at the line of scrimmage will go a long ways to improving the offense. If something is not there, check it down and don't take the sack. This should be Leidners best season, he has both wheels and improved footwork, and what seems to be a better offensive line, now all he needs to do is go make plays. Ski-U-Mah and Go Gophers

I don't care if they play either Croft or Green as long as they actually play them regularly (not starting, just a drive or series here or there) once their RS is burned. Not for a small handful of plays in garbage time for two games.

I still remember watching the Northwestern game and questioning why they played Demry Croft last year. It made no sense whatsoever when you had Parra and Rhoda, unless the plan was to regularly play him. Which was basically shown not to be the case (granted, he ended up getting injured).

Reading between the lines, I'm questioning if Rhoda is under-performing compared to Croft and Green. I'd think otherwise it'd be a slam dunk. Only other theory is if they're questioning whether Croft could legitimately ever beat out Green, and thus making his RS this year a moot point (if he's not expected to start, does that extra year really matter?).

Or it could just be gamesmanship and they've known for months who is QB2, QB3, etc.

I'd say it doesn't matter as long as Leidner is healthy, but I'm hoping to see Leidner on the bench with a drink in his hand and smile on his face for the fourth quarter of every game this year. :)

My guess is they wanted to try Croft and planned on playing him the rest of the way because of Leidner struggling and not being 100%. But then Leidner played a lot better in the second half of the season and they just rolled with him the rest of the way since he gave the team the best chance to win.

My guess is they wanted to try Croft and planned on playing him the rest of the way because of Leidner struggling and not being 100%. But then Leidner played a lot better in the second half of the season and they just rolled with him the rest of the way since he gave the team the best chance to win.

I don't know why the angst about Croft getting a tiny slice of playing time last year and burning his redshirt. First of all, it never hurts a player to get a taste of live B1G game action, no matter how brief. And second, it certainly helped space out the quarterback classes: Leidner (senior), Rhoda (junior), Croft (sophomore), Green and Williams (freshmen).

There is a difference between the backup and the QB if ML goes down for an extended period. The two do not have to be the same person. And if you are trying to maximize eligibility years they SHOULDN'T be the same person.

If he can't handle it then he should not be the QB considering probably a good 15-30% of Minnesota high school QBs do. I would assume he did some of this at Lakeville South.

Top Bottom