PiPress: Ra'Shede Hageman says an early exit to the NFL is worth considering

Unless a player is a 3nd rounder or better they should stay in school. The bonus for a 4th or later isn't that much.d

Got to see where he is at. If he would end up 5th round, or even 4th round, he would be better off remaining in school and improving his game to move up in the following years draft. The difference in contracts could end up being literally millions of dollars. Tubby encourages his BB players to go through draft evals, partially to find out what areas of their game they need to work on. I do not know if college FB has a similar set up where players can get the pro evals without potentially sacrificing their eligibility, but if they do not, they should. The reality is that many players are there to make it in the pros and colleges should appreciate that.

There is no such thing as a can't miss prospect, even with DTs. Steve Emtman and Dan Wilkinson come to mind.

both of these cases were 20 years ago..
the drafting process/evaluation is much improved now.

also, Wilkinson played 12 years, had 54 career sacks, and was all-pro....not exactly a 'miss'.

the drafting process/evaluation is much improved now.

Yeah, look at all these guys who also were drafted 20 years ago:

JaMarcus Russell
Troy Williamson
Vernon Gholston
Charles Rogers
Courtney Brown
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Johnathan Sullivan
Jamal Reynolds
David Terrell
Ryan Leaf
Akili Smith
Mike Williams
Cade McNown
Andre Wadsworth
R. Jay Soward
Rashaun Woods
Brady Quinn
Tim Couch

You're brilliant.

also, Wilkinson played 12 years, had 54 career sacks, and was all-pro....not exactly a 'miss'.

You don't draft a guy #1 overall to get 54 career sacks, one Peter King (i.e., not real) All-Pro selection, and zero Pro Bowls. He was absolutely a bust by anyone who is being honest.

Good for Ra'shede, I wish him the best either way. It's a step in the right direction for our program when we have players that have an NFL option after their junior year. It should also be a reminder for those who are constantly critical of Kill for burning red-shirts that if the kid is really that good, he might not be around for his senior year anyway.

Yes, good for him. Cheering for him and it has been great seeing his progress. The game against Illinois last year (last game of the season) was a huge game for him. Let's hope he finishes strong in the next FOUR games and things line up nicely for him.

I would be absolutely shocked if he went in the top two rounds if he left early. Hageman is a disruptive force as a pass rusher, but his ability to hold up in the run leaves a lot to be desired even as a college DT, let alone in the pros.

He needs a lot more seasoning and another year of conditioning to improve his draft stock, and his ability to stick as on an NFL roster. This is his first year as a starter, after all.

You don't draft a guy #1 overall to get 54 career sacks, one Peter King (i.e., not real) All-Pro selection, and zero Pro Bowls. He was absolutely a bust by anyone who is being honest.

Sacks is not a great way to measure DTs. He was a pretty solid player, never dominant, but not really a traditional 'bust'.

I would be absolutely shocked if he went in the top two rounds if he left early. Hageman is a disruptive force as a pass rusher, but his ability to hold up in the run leaves a lot to be desired even as a college DT, let alone in the pros.

He needs a lot more seasoning and another year of conditioning to improve his draft stock, and his ability to stick as on an NFL roster. This is his first year as a starter, after all.

Agree that he could use another year and about 50 more pounds. He's got such a great frame. Right now, I would think they would put him at strong side DE, but if he puts on some weight, he would have a great shot at playing DT in the NFL.

Hagemann is a good pass rusher but doesn't play the run well enough to be drafted

in the high rounds. He goes out he is at best a 4th to 5th round pick this year, just because of all of the competition and top level tackels that will be in the draft.
Hageman has the physical tools to play in the NFL, tremendous size and strength, that said the guy is still learning to play the defensive tackle position. If he were being honest with himself, he knows he does not play
run defense wiht correct leverage or defeat double teams as effectively as he could. He still has stuff to learn.
The risk is staying in college and getting hurt that is the big RISK. If he stays his parents should buy him an insurance policy if they have not done so already.
If he get's his parents to consult with an agent or agency that is the way to go. I don't doubt the guy has an NFL future
with this years college defensive class being heavy in defensive tackles and defensive ends does he really want to get caught up in the soup of all of those players coming out for the draft? I'm not saying this to be selfish as a Gopher fan, if I thought the guy had it to make the jump I would say, go for it kid your ready. If he watched his own film and positioning on breakdowns on defense this year, he would know that he is not ready.

Hageman still has things to learn about the game of football at this level let alone the next level, and keep in mind he is still a growing young man, he is still gaining height and girth.
The sooner he starts reading his key's better on the run defense then he will be ready, he is definately a kid that could benefit from one more year of coaching at the college level, he is physically mature enough to go but is he mentally ready
to handle all of the pressures of the NFL the travel, the hangers'on's, the groupies at the hotels looking for a meal ticket, all of the lifestyle stuff, he may think so but I kind of doubt it.

not really a traditional 'bust'

#1 overall pick

Picked ahead of Hall-of-Famer Marshall Faulk (Cincinnati needed a RB, as evidenced by their selection of Ki-Jana Carter #1 overall the next year)

At the time, highest paid player in Cincinnati Bengals HISTORY, as a rookie

One of four DTs picked in the first round in 1994. The only one to never make a Pro Bowl.

Ten future Pro Bowlers (and one HOFer) in the 1994 first round. He was not one of them.

Bust.

KiJana was the best college RB I have ever seen play in person.

JaMarcus Russell
Troy Williamson
Vernon Gholston
Charles Rogers
Courtney Brown
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Johnathan Sullivan
Jamal Reynolds
David Terrell
Ryan Leaf
Akili Smith
Mike Williams
Cade McNown
Andre Wadsworth
R. Jay Soward
Rashaun Woods
Brady Quinn
Tim Couch

You're brilliant.

Which Johnathan Sullivan was a bust? I can think of 2 and they were 6th round choices. Maybe yours was such a bust that I'd forgotten him.

Agree that he could use another year and about 50 more pounds. He's got such a great frame. Right now, I would think they would put him at strong side DE, but if he puts on some weight, he would have a great shot at playing DT in the NFL.

50 more lbs? Wow, that is an absurd amount of weight to put on! A lot of d-ends currently have a playing weight of 265-290lbs, I think if Hageman stays around 315 he will be plenty big. I would say he needs to work more on his overall pass rush moves and explosion.

So many Pro Scouts here on GopherHole. Why aren't we making the big bucks finding the next SuperBowl Champions?

Studwell said it best.

So many Pro Scouts here on GopherHole. Why aren't we making the big bucks finding the next SuperBowl Champions?

Studwell said it best.

Hate this response. It's about as ridiculous as the "get out there and show them how to do it."

We should shut down gopherhole because none of us are allowed an opinion unless we are on the coaching staff

lakes, I never said stop doing it. I just asked a simple question. We know more about the kid, than the kid himself does. Ya, right.

He looks like a 3-4 DE at the next level to me and not a 4-3 DT, but I'm not a scout so I'm not totally qualified to make that determination.

He looks like a 3-4 DE at the next level to me and not a 4-3 DT, but I'm not a scout so I'm not totally qualified to make that determination.

I am qualified but for that reason I am not talking.

Does anyone know whether he hates school? Sadly, this can sometimes play a big part in it.

Also does the NFL slot salaries now with the latest deal? Contracts are for three years so it may very well be that waiting a year could double the size of the contract if a player was selected in round two rather than round five for example. This could certainly offset an added year of earnings but it assumes that you know your stock will improve which you don't.

FWIW Kiper Jr. Listed him as a top five Jr. DT. Also he will probably kill it at the combine if he's invited.

i agree with this... DE at next level.
i think NFL DT needs a lower center of gravity... how many 6'6" DT's are there in the NFL?

JaMarcus Russell
Troy Williamson
Vernon Gholston
Charles Rogers
Courtney Brown
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Johnathan Sullivan
Jamal Reynolds
David Terrell
Ryan Leaf
Akili Smith
Mike Williams
Cade McNown
Andre Wadsworth
R. Jay Soward
Rashaun Woods
Brady Quinn
Tim Couch

You're brilliant.

thx dpod.. i didn't think anyone else was drafted that year..... other 'guys' were drafted. wow. what a revelation!

JaMarcus Russell
Troy Williamson
Vernon Gholston
Charles Rogers
Courtney Brown
David Carr
Joey Harrington
Johnathan Sullivan
Jamal Reynolds
David Terrell
Ryan Leaf
Akili Smith
Mike Williams
Cade McNown
Andre Wadsworth
R. Jay Soward
Rashaun Woods
Brady Quinn
Tim Couch

You're brilliant.

here's the list of #1.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1

if wilkinson 'was absolutely a bust', then what about Bob Fenimore who played 1 year with 0 pro-bowls? an absolute absolute bust?
half the guys on this list have 0 pro-bowls..
of those guys, only jim plunkett played more years ( 15 )

here's the list of #1.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/history/alltimeno1

if wilkinson 'was absolutely a bust', then what about Bob Fenimore who played 1 year with 0 pro-bowls? an absolute absolute bust?
half the guys on this list have 0 pro-bowls..
of those guys, only jim plunkett played more years ( 15 )

Fenimore was hurt. Can't blame a guy for getting injured.

You don't make a guy the highest-paid player in franchise history for him to hang around a few years and put up mediocre stats. The only reason he hung around as long as he did is because good DTs are very difficult to find. If he were at a dime-a-dozen position (RB or WR), he'd have been out of the league in 4-5 years, just like Troy Williamson.

FWIW Kiper Jr. Listed him as a top five Jr. DT. Also he will probably kill it at the combine if he's invited.

No he didn't. Kiper's top 5 Junior DT's ($) His list was published on Halloween.

Johnathan Hankins 6-3335 tOSU
Sheldon Richardson 6-4295 Mizz
Sharrif Floyd 6-3295 FL
Bennie Logan 6-3287 LSU
Kwame Geathers 6-6355 GA

ESPN's NFL Draft Blog ($) Also throws out two other names that will go high in the first round.

Utah's Star Lotulelei (Their highest graded player BTW)
UNC's Sylvester Williams

If the evaluation he get's from the NFL indicates that he will be drafted 4th round or higher he should go.

While Shede is far from a finished player at this point, it would be better for him to develop while getting PAID. It's a win win situation for him. Make a million or more dollars proving you are a NFL player; if you don't prove it you still got your money. If you do prove it...it's time to sign that 2nd contract!

Top Bottom