PiPress: Horton keeps Weber's arm in check; QB 'ready' to throw, coach wants to run

BleedGopher

Reaction score
From Marcus:

If Adam Weber were the offensive coordinator, he probably would want to throw the ball more.

What quarterback wouldn't?

But he obviously isn't. And he will let his coaches decide the best way to get the most out of the University of Minnesota's best playmakers on offense with the Big Ten Conference season opening Saturday against Northwestern at home.

Weber had to throw often in a 34-23 loss to Northern Illinois last Saturday. He went 31 for 46 for 373 yards with two touchdowns and an interception. And the best sign was his growing chemistry with receivers MarQueis Gray and Da'Jon McKnight, who combined for 15 catches for 189 yards and two touchdowns. Tight end Eric Lair added seven catches for 94 yards.

"When you're not as successful as you want to be in the running game, being a fifth-year player, I have a lot of confidence in my abilities and the ability of this offense," said Weber about a running game that produced just 97 yards against the Huskies. "We're all ready to do it, but we believe in (offensive coordinator Jeff Horton) and what he's trying to do. We're kind of waiting for him. Whatever plays he calls, we'll run it to the best of our ability."

Horton, who is introducing more of a power running offense to the Gophers in his first year, knows Northwestern ranks 10th in the Big Ten in pass defense (262.2 yards allowed a game).

"But I think we're still going to run the football," he said. "That's the best formula for success. We can't abandon it."

The Gophers rank second in the nation and first in the Big Ten in time of possession (35:34), but much of that was because of the first game where they set a school record by holding the ball for more than 45 minutes.

Stoudermire moves: Junior Troy Stoudermire, who was reinstated to the team Tuesday, practiced with the second-team defense at cornerback. Gophers defensive backs coach Ronnie Lee said Stoudermire's position switch from receiver could be permanent to help a struggling defense.

Stoudermire, who will continue to be the team's starting kick and punt returner, was moved before he was suspended last week. The Dallas native was recruited to play defense out of high school in 2008. But he switched to offense early in his freshman season.

"We aren't very deep in the back end, so we needed to continue to build numbers," Lee said. "We welcomed him with open arms."

http://www.twincities.com/gophers/ci_16199791

Go Gophers!!

Interesting info on Troy. I wonder how his Facebook message got posted.. Heh

Top Bottom