PiPress: Gordy Shaw endorses Kevin Sumlin

This is the bottom line. Couldnt compete against tougher D's.

I guessed you missed us run through Alabama's #1 Rushing Defense back in 2004 huh?

If you hate the man just say it but don't act like he was garbage, smh...

I'm not a huge fan of Shaw but the guy coached well at MN. There were very few games in the Mason tenure that were lost because of poor offense much less poor offensive line play. You can say that they was an ace or that he burned all his bridges here, but if all our position coaches were as succesful as Shaw...we'd be sitting pretty.

Joker Phillips is HC at KY. Snyder was HC at Marshall. Gibbs was DC at Auburn. Stripling is one of best d-line coaches around, I think at Cinci now. Bray is DC at ASU. Criner is DC at Idaho. Hudson is on good staff at FSU. Lockwood at WVU. Axman was OC at UCLA. Browning was OC at Syracuse. Sims went to Illinois. Cooks got hired at UW. Bailey got HC at Howard.

If he had Brewster's staff budget...

Thanks for correcting me swingman. I honestly didn't know where these guys ended up and admit it was just an impression I had. You obviously have the goods on these guys.

I never thought that much of Gibbs and Lockwood has taken a step down at WVU. Forgot about Hudson.

Browning is the one who surprises me. He left here supposedly in high demand, but is now the OL coach at Akron (after serving a year as a grad assistant at Tennessee in either 08 or 09).

Why didn't you think too much of Gibbs?

I wonder if Lemanzer and Tyrone, who were 1st team All-Americans under Gibbs, never thought much of him?

I wonder if Brewer, Karon and Willie M., who were first-team All Big Ten under Gibbs thought much of him?

I wonder if Schlecht and Hoffman who were 2nd team All Big Ten defensive guys thought much of him?

I wonder if Wyrick, White and Lehan, who = along with the above - all got paychecks from NFL teams thought much of him?

Paterno thought a lot of him when he derailed his national championship run in '99.

Cooper thought a lot of him when he got him fired for losing to him in Columbus in 2000.

Ferentz thought a lot of him when he beat him in 98, 99 and 00.

If he doesn't lose 17-20 in OT to a Wisconsin team that ends up 7-1, he goes 6-2 and to the Rose Bowl.

If Purdue and NU don't have Brees and Kustok in 2000, he probably goes to the Rose Bowl.

LSU thought a lot of him when was a DC for Auburn and his team went to OT with LSU for a three point loss. Auburn went 7-1 in the SEC.

McCartney thought a lot of him when he played on a team that won a Nat Championship for Colorado.

I just didn't think he was all that, but you're right, my opinion doesn't matter that much. He did well here, but he certainly hasn't fulfilled the promise that you outline.

The fact that you toss out these names of good players who played for us during Gibbs' tenure somewhat proves the opposite to me. With those guys, we should have been better than we were.

As for his playing days, what does that have to do with anything? By that logic, OJ Simpson would be the great running back coach in history.

As for your "ifs," when "ifs and buts are candy and nuts, oh, what a Merry Christmas we will have." That's the same logic that Brewster used earlier in the season to much well-deserved derision.

Why didn't you think too much of Gibbs?

I wonder if Lemanzer and Tyrone, who were 1st team All-Americans under Gibbs, never thought much of him?

I wonder if Brewer, Karon and Willie M., who were first-team All Big Ten under Gibbs thought much of him?

I wonder if Schlecht and Hoffman who were 2nd team All Big Ten defensive guys thought much of him?

I wonder if Wyrick, White and Lehan, who = along with the above - all got paychecks from NFL teams thought much of him?

Paterno thought a lot of him when he derailed his national championship run in '99.

Cooper thought a lot of him when he got him fired for losing to him in Columbus in 2000.

Ferentz thought a lot of him when he beat him in 98, 99 and 00.

If he doesn't lose 17-20 in OT to a Wisconsin team that ends up 7-1, he goes 6-2 and to the Rose Bowl.

If Purdue and NU don't have Brees and Kustok in 2000, he probably goes to the Rose Bowl.

LSU thought a lot of him when was a DC for Auburn and his team went to OT with LSU for a three point loss. Auburn went 7-1 in the SEC.

McCartney thought a lot of him when he played on a team that won a Nat Championship for Colorado.

If I remember correctly if was losing to Loyd Carr that got John Cooper fired? Those coaches must not have thought very much of him the other times when they ran right through the defense. I see a lot of if he didn't lose towards the end of your statement.

got their undies in a bunch getting mad at Gordy Shaw? Those guys drink too much and spend too much time together deciding which person to try to hate on. Then they come up with a groupie "opinion" that they try to use to try to "group on" and assasinate their new-found enemy with. The thing is, that too many other people have witnessed the great work that their target has done over the years.

I'm looking through you Gordy Shaw haters. I say he is a great coach and a very good man. I give a great deal of creedence to what he has to say about the search for a new coach at the University of Minnesota.

I am now officially advocating that who ever is named new coach at the U of M should bring Gordy Shaw back to help rebuild from the mess that maturi and the administration gave us with that failed brewball experiment.

Gordy Shaw is one darn good coach and we need him back in the University of Minnesota Football Program!!!!!

I agree the boosters can frequently be like a bunch of 8th grade "mean girls" deciding which girl not to invite to their party.

That said....."Bring Gordie Shaw back"???? You crazy? Gordie Shaw called our fricking recruits to tell them not to come here!!! He called existing players to bad mouth/undermine Brewster!! He sat up in the Cretin-Derham-Hall suite and openly cheered against the Gophers! He got so drunk & belligerent he was bounced from the CDH suite. Everyone's a great guy when things are going well, but when sh*t got tough Gordie came apart at the seams. I certainly wouldn't want my son learning about life & being a man from Gordie Shaw.

Don't underestimate a fat cat.

fat-cat.jpg

Is that the new nose tackle recruit? I had heard he was big and as quick as a cat!

Don't know if he'll get in. The woman in this picture is his English teacher. He was earning his grade.

Lockwood was another guy you didn't think much of?

David Lockwood has the #4 rated pass defense in the NCAA and will be on a number of search lists for defensive coordinators at the end of the year.

Mason also hired Dantonio at Kansas and Pat Ruel at Kansas, who is one of the best OL coaches in the nation.

Crystal clear

Lockwood was another guy you didn't think much of?

David Lockwood has the #4 rated pass defense in the NCAA and will be on a number of search lists for defensive coordinators at the end of the year.

Mason also hired Dantonio at Kansas and Pat Ruel at Kansas, who is one of the best OL coaches in the nation.

You have made it abundantly clear to even the most casual of observers just where you stand (not to mention where your allegiances lie). Thanks for clarifying. A handful of posts, most of which are beating the Mason drum. Okey dokey

Anyone pimping any Gopher defensive coach under Mase has amnesia. I could care less if these former assistants have jobs. Look where Dunbar coached, look where Roof is (#1 team in the country), look where Withers at NC. So what? MN defenses were terrible under Mason year in and year out.

Handful of posts? Seriously?

Not that it matters, but I had hundreds of posts on the old format gopherhole. There are so many morons and garbage on here now, I don't post as much.

Allegiance?

I was among those who thought it was time for Mase to go in 2007. Pimped Gary Patterson with the best of them.

I was all on board the Brewster hire and recruiting our way to success bandwagon and followed Dallas Skyline High School football closely. Followed and hyped the staff's outreach to far-flung corners of MN. Believed Withers NFL approach would work. Hyped Roof. Believed in Cosgrove.

The guy said not many Mason coaches have gone on to do much. I posted a list that shows many have.

The guy said he never thought much of Gibbs. Gibbs was here 97-00. Four years. I was at Columbus in 2000 when he shut down Ohio State. He was like 29 years old. The All American guys, the All Big Ten guys, guys in the NFL, wins over Rivals, wins over highly ranked teams, 5-3 and 4-4 in Big Ten in his last two years after taking over a HORRIBLE team: those are inarguably the signs of a successful coach/team. In the last 50 years when did MN have more honors, more Big Ten victories, more meaningful victories?

You have made it abundantly clear to even the most casual of observers just where you stand (not to mention where your allegiances lie). Thanks for clarifying. A handful of posts, most of which are beating the Mason drum. Okey dokey

Ogee, swingman's regular contributions are missed by me and I'm sure many others.

Go Gophers!!

Handful of posts? Seriously?

Not that it matters, but I had hundreds of posts on the old format gopherhole. There are so many morons and garbage on here now, I don't post as much.

Allegiance?

I was among those who thought it was time for Mase to go in 2007. Pimped Gary Patterson with the best of them.

I was all on board the Brewster hire and recruiting our way to success bandwagon and followed Dallas Skyline High School football closely. Followed and hyped the staff's outreach to far-flung corners of MN. Believed Withers NFL approach would work. Hyped Roof. Believed in Cosgrove.

The guy said not many Mason coaches have gone on to do much. I posted a list that shows many have.

The guy said he never thought much of Gibbs. Gibbs was here 97-00. Four years. I was at Columbus in 2000 when he shut down Ohio State. He was like 29 years old. The All American guys, the All Big Ten guys, guys in the NFL, wins over Rivals, wins over highly ranked teams, 5-3 and 4-4 in Big Ten in his last two years after taking over a HORRIBLE team: those are inarguably the signs of a successful coach/team. In the last 50 years when did MN have more honors, more Big Ten victories, more meaningful victories?

I understand your point, but with your 50 year time frame I'm sure posters on here can find a couple more meaningful victories and honors.

swingman, I get your point. My response would be two-fold. Where are these guys--Gibbs and Lockwood--now? (As for the other guys, you're right. Many have gone on to do great things. College football assistant coaching is that way. Current Vikings' offensive line coach Pat Morris had an early stop in his coaching career up here under Joe Salem and went on to coach a lot of great lines at his alma mater, USC.)

Gibbs is doing the same thing Brewster was doing before he got the head coaching job here. He's an NFL position coach. Lockwood took a step down and is at West Virginia as the defensive backfield coach. If these guys were truly the top-drawer guys you contend that they are, they would have moved up, or at least made lateral moves, to where they were when they were on the Gopher staff. They are still relatively young in football terms and they still may turn out to be, as Joker Phillips did, FBS head coaches someday. My primary point, in this regard, is that they have been good enough coaches to consistently find places to land, but neither of them has fulfilled the early promise (inconsistent as it may have been in the eyes of some) accorded to them.

Second, I agree with your comment regarding the reluctance to pay assistant coaches at a level that will keep them in Minnesota. But whose fault is that? Mason had a total possible package of more than $2 million when he was fired. I can't find Brewster's comparable total, but it was considerably less and one of the reasons for that was the administration wanted to use some of the savings to hire quality assistant coaches and keep them here. Brewster couldn't do that, for whatever reason, but the resources were there (and Brewster needs to be taken to task for his inability to maintain a consistent set of lead coordinators).

I don't want this to sound like a "dump on Mason" post, but if there are only so many dollars to go around, they have to be spread in a way that will help create and maintain stability in the program. I believe that a case can be made that the athletic administration should have made this a higher priority and fell short and that many of the promising young coordinators brought in by Mason could have been retained had a stronger commitment been made.

But I don't want to make it sound like I'm backing off my critique of Lockwood and Gibbs. Solid football guys, but if they were everything that you contend that they are, they'd certainly have a higher profile than they currently enjoy.

As for Mason's overall record, your clarifications show me that my impression was off-base. The only caveat to that is that the nature of college assistant coaching requires a lot of guys to move around a lot as they are moving up the line from graduate assistant, to quality control, to position coach, to coordinator and the same record has likely been experienced by other less-than-stellar programs.

Humble apologies

Ogee, swingman's regular contributions are missed by me and I'm sure many others.

Go Gophers!!

You know, I thought the moniker sounded all too familiar for somebody with a dozen posts.

I stand corrected. Still, you'll forgive me if it would be easy to read a few of his recent submissions and jump to the conclusion of that person being a vehement pro-Mason person.

Top Bottom