PiPress: Gophers make a commitment to diversity in search for new football coach

I prefer a colorblind coaching search but maybe that is me. When I hear names like Leslie Frazier and Randy Shannon, the fact they are black does not even cross my mind. It takes articles like this to make me think about it.

I couldn't agree more with you. I want wins, period. I don't care if he's an asian transexual as long as he wins.

I don't see race. People tell me I'm white, and I believe them because I really like Classical Public Radio.

Does that mean I could be a candidate? Just kidding!

I don't care if they're black, white, or even a redhead...I'm with you guys, just win.

I found it interesting that Kirksey said it would satisfy a lot of players if they hired a black coach...

I'm with the rest of you in that I JUST WANT WINS, but Kevin Sumlin and Randy Shannon's names just got more intriguing if it's what the players want...

I hope by diversity they mean that any coach with any kind of background will be looked at if they think it will be the best for the University. I don't care about what race, what part of the country they are from, what kind of offense or defense they run, I just want a good coach.

I hope by diversity they mean that any coach with any kind of background will be looked at if they think it will be the best for the University. I don't care about what race, what part of the country they are from, what kind of offense or defense they run, I just want a good coach.

+ 1

...but they do mean race when talking about "diversity" if you read the article.

I'm afraid every time Joel opens his mouth

From the simple statement about what his is looking for in a head coach, to euphemisms, and now the need for the standard politcally correct statement. I thought the next time he spoke with reporters would be to announce the coach. Joel, keep your mouth shut and hire a coach who can win.

Much ado about nothing - a reporter running away with something else when all Maturi was doing was saying the politically correct thing, which he more or less has to do. Hopefully, he'll go after the best available coach, period.

Like most posters I just want a coach who can win. If the new HC is Black, Asian, or Pasific Islander thats fine just as long as they're a winner.

You all know it but are afraid to say it. Bruininks and Maturi are going to be under huge pressure to hire a black coach. Unfortunately, that could mean that the U will not be hiring the best available coach to turn the Gopher football program around.

I'm tired of the Minn. politically correct crap!!!!!!!!! I don't care if the guy is Green yellow brown or black, can he coach and bring in Asst. coaches that can coach. Who gives a crap about what color he is, can he coach. I've coached with both and have had success with both. Character, attitude, and knowlege are what counts, can he communicate with the other coaches, players and community?? Screw the politically correct crap~!!!

Why would the U be under any pressure to hire a coach of any certain race? The U has never had a history of not being fair to minority candidates. He hired Clem years ago and our athletics department golden child is Tubby Smith. I wouldn't think there would be any pressure on the U to hire a minority candidate. However, there will be an immense amount of pressure for the U to hire someone who will win, so i'd imagine that will be the only priority.

Pigmentation-based rhetoric (PBR) has no place in this....ever.

Why would the U be under any pressure to hire a coach of any certain race? The U has never had a history of not being fair to minority candidates. He hired Clem years ago and our athletics department golden child is Tubby Smith. I wouldn't think there would be any pressure on the U to hire a minority candidate. However, there will be an immense amount of pressure for the U to hire someone who will win, so i'd imagine that will be the only priority.

I hope your right but I don't think so. The following quote from Bruininks provides plenty of evidence to the contrary:

"I think we need more high-level coaches in Division I-A sports who have been ex-athletes and come from minority cultural backgrounds," University of Minnesota President Bob Bruininks said. "We ought to give that a real shot. I don't think it's the only determinant. But it should definitely be in the equation."

You all know it but are afraid to say it. Bruininks and Maturi are going to be under huge pressure to hire a black coach. Unfortunately, that could mean that the U will not be hiring the best available coach to turn the Gopher football program around.
The absolute dearth of minority coaches in FBS football is an embarrassment and leads me to believe there are a ton of great coaches out there that have yet to get a shot. That does not mean I think they should hire a minority coach just to hire one, but failing to hire one of the good 'ol boys does also won't mean we're not getting the best guy.

I couldn't agree more with you. I want wins, period. I don't care if he's an asian transexual as long as he wins.

"Hide ya Coaches, Hide Ya Linemen..."

antoine_dodson-large1-e1283803078174.jpg

I'm tired of the Minn. politically correct crap!!!!!!!!! I don't care if the guy is Green yellow brown or black, can he coach and bring in Asst. coaches that can coach. Who gives a crap about what color he is, can he coach. I've coached with both and have had success with both. Character, attitude, and knowlege are what counts, can he communicate with the other coaches, players and community?? Screw the politically correct crap~!!!

Actually, it has nothing to do with quotas! It means that they will take the best available candidate that meets their criteria for a coach, without regard to race, color, creed, national origin, or sex. It doesn't mean they will give preference to any particular group. They may wait for their selection if they have under representation in a group to ensure all groups have a shot at the job, or they are saying, hey, get out here and apply! Really, I think this means they want a few more well known candidates to get their applications in. Which may mean we are having trouble getting word out.

It's amazing how the word 'diversity' can put so much fear into the conservative/establishment crowd. Political correctness is a stale term...we've gone beyond it. It's reality. We are a public university, at some point the NCAA has to start looking to improve the diversity among their coaches. Why not be out front on the issue? To fear that you cannot find a quality coach that is not white is hateful and absurd. Notice how I didn't use the word 'racist.' Nothing makes a racist more upset than being called a racist.

It's amazing how the word 'diversity' can put so much fear into the conservative/establishment crowd. Political correctness is a stale term...we've gone beyond it. It's reality. We are a public university, at some point the NCAA has to start looking to improve the diversity among their coaches. Why not be out front on the issue? To fear that you cannot find a quality coach that is not white is hateful and absurd. Notice how I didn't use the word 'racist.' Nothing makes a racist more upset than being called a racist.

I love the way people throw down the "racist" card when they don't understand other's points of view or choose to ignore what they actually said. Right now I believe Kevin Sumlin should be at the top of the list of candidates for the Gophers job because: 1) he appears to be supremely qualified for the job; 2) he seems to be interested in the job; and 3) the U apparently is going to have the money to lure him to Minnesota. Oh, and by the way, Kevin Sumlin is black.

What we don't know at this time is what other coaches might be interested in the Gopher's job. One thing we do know is Gopher fans were assured when Brewster was fired the U is going to try to hire the best available coach for the job within certain salary limits. But now we are finding out that race is going to be a factor in the hiring. It probably won't be the determining factor but Bruininks has promised us that it definitely will be a factor.

The only way race should be considered in the Gophers search for a new coach is if Bruininks, Maturi' and the other people on the hiring committee decide that a black head coach will have an advantage as a recruiter. But the notion that race should be a factor because the U, NCAA, and the Big 10 need to start paying more than lip service to their stated desire for more "diversity" is complete BS. That should NOT be part of the discussion for the U at this time. Period. Let me remind you again - Kevin Sumlin is my favorite candidate for the Gophers coaching job.

Phil Miller wrote basically the same article today:

http://www.startribune.com/sports/g...cyaiUjc8LDyiUiD3aPc:_Yyc:aULPQL7PQLanchO7DiUr

Go Gophers!!

Here's the operative quote from the article:

"And would it be awkward for the university to give Dungy a significant voice in the process, then decide to hire a white coach?

Bruininks doesn't think so.

"There are some really good young African-American coaches out there that we should take a serious look at," the university president said. "But in the end, we have to pick the person that best fits what we think the profile is that we need to succeed."

The St. Paul paper either didn't get this quote, pretty doubtful but possible, or chose to leave it out. Journalistically they made the wrong decision but if they were looking for web hits and creating some buzz they absolutely made the right decision.

Nothing creates more angry responses then poking the "anti- P.C. " crowd. They're the easiest people in the world to get a rise out of and by leaving-off the "we'll pick the best guy to get it done" like quote you stir all these guys up.

The Marketing people must LOVE this article!

On second thought, maybe that's why the Strib put the quote at the END of the article. The "easily riled" crowd wouldn't even MAKE it to the end!:clap::clap::clap:

I found it interesting that Kirksey said it would satisfy a lot of players if they hired a black coach...

I'm with the rest of you in that I JUST WANT WINS, but Kevin Sumlin and Randy Shannon's names just got more intriguing if it's what the players want...

Kirksey's thing about it helps recruiting is complete BS. Hiring Sumlin or Shannon doesn't raise the number of black head coaches in NCAA but hiring Dungy would.

Top Bottom