PiPress: Berkley Edwards might redshirt, Jerry Kill says

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Marcus:

"First of all, we're playing pretty good at running back right now," Kill said on KFXN-FM. "Second of all, I'm not really sure he's 100 percent. Third of all, we'll see how it goes. There's a situation if we can stay healthy, maybe the best interest of Berkley may be redshirting him."

"We'll be very careful with Berkley, because you're talking about a knee and ankle," Kill said. "He's practiced and done some things, but he'll be the first one to tell you he's not 100 percent. That particular injury takes awhile. The good thing is, he's a freshman and we've got some time."

http://www.twincities.com/sports/ci...rce=rss&utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Go Gophers!!

Good idea imo. If he isn't going to be 100%...

if he's not 100%, an extra year will do him nothing but good. and if he's good enough to play on sundays after us only getting him for 3 years of play, well then i'm gonna guess we'll be seeing a lot bigger numbers in the W column in those years.

If he is healthy, play him. If not, then might as well let him red shirt. I would not want the red shirt taken off after week 6 unless they are at least 5-1 and then he is healthy.

I was excited to see Edwards play this year but if he still isn't 100% then I'm fine with redshirting him. Cobb has provided a little bit of speed from that position, I'd like to see him keep getting around 10 carries a game. Next year we'll be absolutely loaded with Kirkwood, Williams, Cobb, Edwards, and Jeff Jones.

I was excited to see Edwards play this year but if he still isn't 100% then I'm fine with redshirting him. Cobb has provided a little bit of speed from that position, I'd like to see him keep getting around 10 carries a game. Next year we'll be absolutely loaded with Kirkwood, Williams, Cobb, Edwards, and Jeff Jones.

that's the only thing that kind of worries me right now. we're going to have a lot of guys who are going to want touches and someone is going to be left out (most likely an upper classmen). if we have that backfield going forward, i'd be interested to see how the coaches would manage that. edwards more dual role for next year? just a possible option as we are hurting for some playmakers all over the field

that's the only thing that kind of worries me right now. we're going to have a lot of guys who are going to want touches and someone is going to be left out (most likely an upper classmen). if we have that backfield going forward, i'd be interested to see how the coaches would manage that. edwards more dual role for next year? just a possible option as we are hurting for some playmakers all over the field

It's a nice problem to have to worry about having too many good players at any position. This is typically a problem reserved for programs like Ohio St. or Michigan.

Would red shirting him affect Jeff Jones' desire to come here?

If it does, he's not the right guy.

Agreed... I'd tell him (Jerry does this I'm pretty sure) if he's good enough to beat out those guys ahead of him he will play... tells you a lot about his confidence level too. He may go where he sees the hardest path to starting and he may go where he feels its the easiest... We'll never know...

I would rather have this "problem" than not having any depth.

The thing with running backs is that you often know what you have in year one. Either they show that they got it--or they don't.

An extra year of eligibility for running backs does not project the same kind of growth as, say, an offensive lineman.

We need a good running back now. Haven't had a real good one since Gary.

We're a B10 team. Can we please find somebody to freaking carry the mail for us 20 times a game? Any takers out there?

When you're biggest running threat is a 6'4 kraut, you are probably not putting the fear of God into too many defensive coordinators.

When he is replacing a 6'2 scandinavian, you are probably helping them sleep well at night.

These high ankle sprains can linger for months as we learned with Gray last year. Wait till he's 100% & then only play him if it's going to make a difference.

Top Bottom