Pioneer Press: Whalen's Last Challenge; be a Successful College Coach

Ignatius L Hoops

Reaction score

Bob Sansevere:

The last challenge I have is to be a successful college basketball coach. This is my third year. It’s very abnormal times, like everyone has had. I feel like I’m starting my career and off to a good start. Learned a ton. Now, I’m coaching and motivating and teaching the next generation everything I’ve learned from great coaches.

[...]

That’s why (Gophers athletic director) Mark (Coyle) hired me — to do things the right way. Part of the thing last year was winning but, yes, we have to do things the right way. You have to treat people the right way. You have to do things the right way. That’s what we’re going to be and that’s what we’re going to be about. This is my program and I had to make sure we’re going to do things the right way here.

This is the perfect fit. This was my only opportunity. I was still playing. It wasn’t something that was on my radar until Coach (Marlene) Stallings left for Texas Tech. It wasn’t an opportunity (until Stallings left). I would have played that last year and then I would have retired. It couldn’t have worked out better. I’ve worked very hard in my life, for sure, but I’ve also had timing in things in my life. Who else could say that while playing in their home state on a professional team as the defending champion, that you’d also get the coaching job at your alma mater? I’ve been very fortunate. I understand that and I know I’ve been extremely fortunate to be given this great opportunity by Mark Coyle.

NOTE: The PPD apparently never learned to spell Stollings.

Or maybe it is a joke -- like Sheryl Reeve...

Top Bottom