Pioneer Press: Tracy Claeys hoping to cook up special season for Gophers' defense

If we are going to improve, average 21 points a game and be a top 15 defense.

If we are going to improve, average 21 points a game and be a top 15 defense.

If we are gonna improve, prove it on the field. Talk is cheap, beer costs money.

Coach Claeys started and runs a Gophers bar in rural Kansas? That's pretty sweet.

My favorite part of the article is where it points out that he makes $600 k - and yet some people (with a straight face, apparently) were advocating after the season that he should leave to become a DI-AA head coach.

Coach Claeys started and runs a Gophers bar in rural Kansas? That's pretty sweet.

Looks like it is fairly close to Manhattan. A home-and-home series with K State could be pretty fun.

My favorite part of the article is where it points out that he makes $600 k - and yet some people (with a straight face, apparently) were advocating after the season that he should leave to become a DI-AA head coach.

Never understood that thought process either. If Claeys is ever going to branch off on his own he is going to do it in a great situation, not some small school where he has to work his way up the food chain. He would be foolish to leave Kill to go after that kind of gig. The only time we really need to even consider Claeys going somewhere else is when he gets to the point that his name comes up as a candidate for the high profile jobs each year, and he isn't at that level yet.

It would seem only fitting then that the 2014 Golden Gopher Defense should be referred to as: THE $600 k D.

How many Conference wins will "THE 600 k D..." that Coach C built lead my Golden Gophers to in 2014?

GO 600 k D! Shut down the BIG HOUSE. Hammer the hawgeyes. Beat the stinking badger! Let 2014 be the year of: THE 600 k D!

Top Bottom