Pioneer Press: Gophers, Badgers on different trajectories for 2018 season

No one is suggesting that Wisconsin doesn't relax admissions for athletes. They probably relax them more than at Michigan or Northwestern, but not as much as Oregon State for example. And to start out with, Wisconsin is a harder school for any student to get into than OSU. Everyone knows Northwestern and Michigan are tougher than Wisconsin to get into so I don't know why anyone would keep beating that drum.

Wisconsin admissions has said that what they do for athletes is look at a sliding scale. If you have a mediocre GPA, how are the ACT/SAT scores? Or if your test scores suck, is your GPA good? Basically they want kids who can handle the coursework at UW.

No one is suggesting that Wisconsin doesn't relax admissions for athletes. They probably relax them more than at Michigan or Northwestern, but not as much as Oregon State for example. And to start out with, Wisconsin is a harder school for any student to get into than OSU. Everyone knows Northwestern and Michigan are tougher than Wisconsin to get into so I don't know why anyone would keep beating that drum.

Wisconsin admissions has said that what they do for athletes is look at a sliding scale. If you have a mediocre GPA, how are the ACT/SAT scores? Or if your test scores suck, is your GPA good? Basically they want kids who can handle the coursework at UW.

What you’ve described is the NCAA sliding scale. Unless you can produce evidence Wisconsin requires anything more than the NCAA minimum you’re talking from the posterior orifice. I’ve never seen any evidence school A is harder to get into than school B regarding football players. I’d be happy to be wrong. This applies to truly elite academic schools like Stanford, much less Wisconsin.

From an article Dec 31 2017. Big Ten Schools by Acceptance Rate:
1. NW 11%
2. Michigan 29%
3. Minnesota 44%
4. Maryland 48%
5. Wisconsin 53%
6. OSU 54%
7. PennState 56%
8. Purdue 56%
9. Rutgers 57%
10. Illinois 60%
11. Michigan State 66%
12. Nebraska 75%
13. Indiana 79%
14. Iowa 84%

Avg. ACT:
Tier 1 NW 33
Tier 2 Maryland 31, Michigan 31
Tier 3 Illinois 29, OSU 29, Wisconsin 29, Minnesota 29
Tier 4 Purdue 28, Indiana 27, Penn State 27, MSU 27
Tier 5 Iowa 25, Nebraska 25
Rutgers wasn't listed

I'm so tired of the narrative that Wisconsin is the Harvard of the Midwest. It is not at all in the same conversation as NW & Michigan, and is on the same tier as Maryland, Illinois, OSU, and Minnesota. Wish Badger alums and suburban Twin Cities parents would realize that ;)

Everyone knows Northwestern and Michigan are tougher than Wisconsin to get into so I don't know why anyone would keep beating that drum.

Tell it to the guy who said Wisco has the toughest admissions in he Big Ten. That’s why.

If that’s being retracted, as you’re saying now you freely admit, then that drum will go silent.

2018 recruiting according to Phil Steele.
OSU #3
Penn ST #7
Nebraska #16
Michigan #21
Michigan St #28
Maryland #33
Minnesota #38
Iowa #40
Indiana #41
Northwestern #42
Illinois #43
Wisconsin #48.

These rankings are misleading. Wisconsin has a very small class. No Badger fan would trade their class for ours nor should they. If you look at the average ranking of their recruits they are right there with PSU and Michigan. They have the top overall recruit (Logan Brown) coming into the B10 I believe (and pulled him out of MI no less) and the top QB recruit in the B10 (and perhaps the nation in the end) that was offered by everyone, including Bama, Georgia, A&M, Notre Dame and tOSU. Their running back in this class was pursued hard and offered by LSU, USC and Notre Dame among other schools.

From an article Dec 31 2017. Big Ten Schools by Acceptance Rate:
1. NW 11%
2. Michigan 29%
3. Minnesota 44%
4. Maryland 48%
5. Wisconsin 53%
6. OSU 54%
7. PennState 56%
8. Purdue 56%
9. Rutgers 57%
10. Illinois 60%
11. Michigan State 66%
12. Nebraska 75%
13. Indiana 79%
14. Iowa 84%

Avg. ACT:
Tier 1 NW 33
Tier 2 Maryland 31, Michigan 31
Tier 3 Illinois 29, OSU 29, Wisconsin 29, Minnesota 29
Tier 4 Purdue 28, Indiana 27, Penn State 27, MSU 27
Tier 5 Iowa 25, Nebraska 25
Rutgers wasn't listed

I'm so tired of the narrative that Wisconsin is the Harvard of the Midwest. It is not at all in the same conversation as NW & Michigan, and is on the same tier as Maryland, Illinois, OSU, and Minnesota. Wish Badger alums and suburban Twin Cities parents would realize that ;)

The way some talk MIT is safety school for UW applicants

These rankings are misleading. Wisconsin has a very small class. No Badger fan would trade their class for ours nor should they. If you look at the average ranking of their recruits they are right there with PSU and Michigan. They have the top overall recruit (Logan Brown) coming into the B10 I believe (and pulled him out of MI no less) and the top QB recruit in the B10 (and perhaps the nation in the end) that was offered by everyone, including Bama, Georgia, A&M, Notre Dame and tOSU. Their running back in this class was pursued hard and offered by LSU, USC and Notre Dame among other schools.

Agree thus far Wisconsin is recruiting really, really well for 2019 but I believe those Steele rankings were for 2018.

Top Bottom