Pinstripe Starting QB Thread

Agreed. I want to win. But the “don’t play tanner because AK needs experience” crowd is missing the larger picture of other guys needing experience. You can say AK should start because he is better. But the experience reasoning needs to be applied to every position if that’s the stance.

That’s what I’m confused by. I would play to win. If that means 30 carries for Mo then do it. Syracuse will be down 20 at the half. So this is all moot.
Really? AK is the starting QB. I'm not understanding your logic.

Really? AK is the starting QB. I'm not understanding your logic.
His logic is simple, if the reasoning for wanting AK to play is because he needs to develop for next year, then those that feel that way should want all the senior players to take a seat so all positions can develop.

His logic is simple, if the reasoning for wanting AK to play is because he needs to develop for next year, then those that feel that way should want all the senior players to take a seat so all positions can develop.
Thank you.

I'm rooting for whoever the Gophers put on the field, and I'm not questioning the decision regardless of who's taking snaps.

As far as I'm concerned, Tanner is the best QB that the Gophers have ever had, and he has earned the right to play in (or start) his last bowl game.

Athan is the future, and it would have been ideal to give him three weeks of first team reps in December.

There are obvious reasons for either of them to get the start.

I just hope both guys get plenty of playing time providing Tanner is healthy. I wouldn't think that Tanner should play if not 100%. Messing around with the head is not a good idea. Regardless, I believe Fleck will do what is best for the team as a whole. Will be interesting to see how all this plays out in the end.

That's not logical or analogous to this situation. Morgan is not the starting QB.

That's not logical or analogous to this situation. Morgan is not the starting QB.
Okay, I'll take the bait. According to who? I haven't heard anyone in Minnesota athletics name Athan the starter. Morgan has been hurt. Athan was in the game because Tanner hit his head.

Maybe I'm crazy, but I've always thought there is something different about the qb position.

I'm trying to wrap my head around why it's "critcal" to win the Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl.

I don't know your age, but in my day you treated every game as critical. There's a huge investment (both monetary and personal) on the participating schools side and its against an outside the conference rival. It's my understanding we've played Syracuse more times in the last decade than Indiana.

I'm more impressed with Rutgers than I am with Syracuse. Plus, their fanbase mostly sucks.

We're not going for a participation trophy and I hope we run up the score.

Last edited:

In the immortal words of Herm Edwards “You play to win the game !!”. You start who will give you the best chance to do that. Both can play. I understand completely why they haven’t announced anything as far as a starter is concerned - force Syracuse to prepare for both.

Every game on the schedule is critical to win. It's part of the season record, impacts recruiting, team confidence, and fan enthusiasm.

Yes! Exactly. Spot on.

Words require context. Obviously, the word "critical" has a different meaning when used in a sports context as opposed to, say, a medical context.

If you say a bowl game can't be "critical", I could argue that all sports outcomes are pretty meaningless when compared to medical outcomes.

As far as I'm concerned, Tanner is the best QB that the Gophers have ever had, and he has earned the right to play in (or start) his last bowl game.
His horrible play over the past 3 years has earned the right to start?

Yes! Exactly. Spot on.

Words require context. Obviously, the word "critical" has a different meaning when used in a sports context as opposed to, say, a medical context.

If you say a bowl game can't be "critical", I could argue that all sports outcomes are pretty meaningless when compared to medical outcomes.
Yes, and there is also the context of the uniqueness of college football's short season. It is not like MLB or the NBA.

A college football player works and prepares a decade to play a relative handful of games. He spends thousands of hours lifting, sprinting, and otherwise conditioning his body to be able to have the chance to take the field on a few Saturdays.

For the players, the coaches, and the fans, each opportunity to suit up and take the field is precious.

He hasn't been able to reach the levels he did in 2019 but he has been far from horrible.

Good lord, some of you are acting like he was some charity case player who was holding the team back.

C'mon, man; you should know the mantra by now:

Fire the coach, bench the QB, throw to the tight end more often.

His horrible play over the past 3 years has earned the right to start?
Athan Kaliakmanis this season: 52% completion; 3 TDs; 4 INTs; 75 QBR
Tanner Morgan this season: 67% completion; 7 TDs; 5 INTs; 62 QBR

The only thing Athan has going for him is his legs. That's not a recipe for success. I hate taking this position but y'all keep posting these godawful takes about Morgan. Morgan has won more games as a Gopher QB than any other Gopher QB.

Y'all have the memory of goldfish if you think that Tanner was a bad QB. Go back and watch the 2017 season if you want bad QB play.

The only thing Athan has going for him is his legs. That's not a recipe for success. I hate taking this position but y'all keep posting these godawful takes about Morgan. Morgan has won more games as a Gopher QB than any other Gopher QB.

Y'all have the memory of goldfish if you think that Tanner was a bad QB. Go back and watch the 2017 season if you want bad QB play.
Athan has the POTENTIAL to be great, hes far from it right now but IMO gives us a better chance to win than Tanner in this bowl game. Athan has more going than his legs, the offense is more multiple rather than mostly staying in run heavy formations with Tanner. Athan has the ability to throw more passing concepts like deep breaking Ins, Combacks, and shots down the fields. Tanner did hold us back in some games, Great leader and person but hes limited on what plays can be called.

Let Tanner Morgan get some snaps in the game. Preserve him for the Hula Bowl. Mariano Sori-Marin will also be playing in the Hula Bowl.

UCF in Florida agreed to host the Hula Bowl. Aloha Stadium in Hawaii is closed for renovation and repair.
Aloha stadium has been condemned by the State of Hawaii and is to be torn down. UH is playing on campus on a 9500 seat track facility. It will be expanded to 17000 next year to keep them eligible as a FBS program.

Terrible, terrible take after take from you on the QB. 8 has skills we haven’t seen much here.

The comparative stats would be more useful if the first three non-conference games were removed.

I want the Gophers to win.

if Morgan is healthy, and he can contribute to a victory, I'm fine with that. Just have to trust that the Coaches will make a decision based on who is the 'best' player for the situation.

in recognition of what he has meant to the program, I hope Morgan - at the very least - can make an appearance in the game.

and next year, we never have to have this discussion again. starting Friday, this is Athan's team.
For how long? Posters here are quick to fall in love with the guy on the bench.

Aloha stadium has been condemned by the State of Hawaii and is to be torn down. UH is playing on campus on a 9500 seat track facility. It will be expanded to 17000 next year to keep them eligible as a FBS program.
About a year ago our cab driver described Aloha Stadium as "crumbling."

Start the season with AK and we win the west.

No biggie!

Terrible, terrible take after take from you on the QB. 8 has skills we haven’t seen much here.
Mitch Leidner could throw deep and was far more accurate. Y'all quit dragging Morgan and I'll quit dragging Athan Kaliaksailseverypass

Top Bottom