Pictures: U unveils new renderings of Athletes Village

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per STrib:

jason.gonzalez_1470102935_Center%20for%20Excellence%20(Leadership%20Center%20Elevator%20Lobby%202).jpg

jason.gonzalez_1470103351_Football%20indoor.jpg

jason.gonzalez_1470103115_Football%20Performance%20Center%20(Auditorium).jpg

jason.gonzalez_1470103260_Football%20Performance%20Center%20(Strength%20and%20Conditioning).jpg

http://www.startribune.com/u-unveils-new-renderings-of-athletes-village/388894751/

Go Gophers!!

Not a complaint..

the pictures just don't scream $100 million dollars or whatever the budget is for this portion. Happy they are building it 100%! Seems like there would be money for a waterfall...it is Minnesota after all.

Here are some of the earlier renderings of the indoor practice facility. The renderings have become more pedestrian as time goes on, and while upgraded facilities were needed and the facilities are still a nice upgrade one hopes the budget has shrunk in lockstep. One of our intrepid reporters has to be somewhat curious?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Can we punt in the new facility? Ceiling doesn't look high enough.

I thought we wanted to wow the recruits and pamper the athletes.

Edit: The additional pictures look pretty impressive.

The leaking roof in the Nagurski complex is sort of a waterfall.

Good one! I was told early in my career to be skeptical of renderings and to wait for the finished product. Sometimes the renderings look better and sometimes not as compared to what actually gets built. For now, I'm going with Claey's observation that it is an ugly bunny i.e., the pile of dirt outside his office :)

Here are some of the earlier renderings of the indoor practice facility. The renderings have become more pedestrian as time goes on, and while upgraded facilities were needed and the facilities are still a nice upgrade one hopes the budget has shrunk in lockstep. One of our intrepid reporters has to be somewhat curious?

View attachment 4315

View attachment 4316

The images you are showing are conceptual images made by an architectural firm contracted by athletics for the sole purpose of kick-starting initial fundraising (as in, "hey, this is what it could look like; give us money". These are more than 2 years old, and were put together with no overall design or budget implications, and isn't even the firm that is doing this project.

The football practice facility will be one of the nicest (if not the nicest) in college athletics.

The football practice facility will be one of the nicest (if not the nicest) in college athletics.
No it won't, it will be a nice upgrade but it won't be close to that luxury upper echelon of schools like Oregon.

Does anybody have a link to a rendering of what TCF looks like with the future upper deck added?

View attachment 4315

View attachment 4316

Noticed the exact same thing....
First, rendering was national top notch with a synthetic turf running track around it.
Second, meh, not as good but still better than what they have now.
Third, well...it looks basically like the old one. sigh.....................

It's amazing how much one can overanalyze a rendering

If pictures are accurate, Northwestern's will be tough to top:
http://www.northwestern.edu/newscen...n-fieldhouse-and-walter-athletics-center.html

It would be nice if our indoor practice field adds some more maroon and gold paint (maybe the ceiling cross beams, at least).

Those are very nice renderings, but as we know they are subject to change. despite promises os something nothing short of great, i present the actual Northwestern indoor practice facility "smh-3". So much hate, indeed.

image.jpg

The images you are showing are conceptual images made by an architectural firm contracted by athletics for the sole purpose of kick-starting initial fundraising (as in, "hey, this is what it could look like; give us money". These are more than 2 years old, and were put together with no overall design or budget implications, and isn't even the firm that is doing this project.

Well, you're being somewhat intellectually dishonest since these are the renderings that have been on the website and presumably presented to donors and recruits for the last couple years, all the while a general budget has been known. The updated design, while still very nice, is a bit of a bait and switch in my opinion.

Don't call me a hater. Beauty is often in the eye of the beholder and to be honest I think the facilities aspect is overplayed. But, I've long believed if you're going to spend a significant amount of money do it right the first time. This goes for houses, cars, electronics, wives. Don't second-guess, don't sell yourself short, don't have buyers remorse. We want to dazzle and we want to impress. If we are spending helmet school money lets get something that surpasses. IMO Michigan has an impressive facility. That should be our goal. Maybe it is too rich for us at this point in time. So be it.

Well, you're being somewhat intellectually dishonest since these are the renderings that have been on the website and presumably presented to donors and recruits for the last couple years, all the while a general budget has been known. The updated design, while still very nice, is a bit of a bait and switch in my opinion.

Don't call me a hater. Beauty is often in the eye of the beholder and to be honest I think the facilities aspect is overplayed. But, I've long believed if you're going to spend a significant amount of money do it right the first time. This goes for houses, cars, electronics, wives. Don't second-guess, don't sell yourself short, don't have buyers remorse. We want to dazzle and we want to impress. If we are spending helmet school money lets get something that surpasses. IMO Michigan has an impressive facility. That should be our goal. Maybe it is too rich for us at this point in time. So be it.

This is the fine line that athletics has to walk. They've known that it wasn't going to look like this, but again, they wanted something to show to drum up interest when they started fundraising.

Renderings and animations have been presented to donors, and the earlier ones you reference haven't been used for quite some time. The public sees only a wee bit of information.

No it won't, it will be a nice upgrade but it won't be close to that luxury upper echelon of schools like Oregon.

Have you seen Oregon's practice facility? They have an insanely nice football building, but the indoor practice facility is nowhere near the top.

a9b8934810df22e75340bda89d1dbbe5.jpg

IMO, my favorite currently built practice facility is Michigan. If you do some digging, most indoor practice facilities are nothing special. Va Tech has a brand new facility that has no A/C, and is not high enough to punt in. Vanderbilt has a brand new facility that is shared with track, so the football field is cut off on the corners.

Northwestern's facility will probably be nice. But if you compare current facilities, the U's will be at the top. I don't know exactly what information athletics has shared with the public, so I won't get into it, but it will be one of the nicest. There are architectural features that will be unique to this facility.

Top Bottom