Pick a Former Gopher to Replace Pitino, who ya got?

Otis

Reaction score
You can pick any former Gopher basketball player. Who would be your first choice to replace Pitino and restore the Gophers to respectability?

Some options:

Kevin McHale
Trent Tucker
Ryan Saunders
JB Bickerstaff
Bobby Jackson
Sam Jacobsen
Kris Kardashian
Jim Petersen

Some have been coaches, some are coaches, some are just guys we suspect could command enough authority that players would listen to them. Richard Coffey comes to mind when thinking of guys players would listen to.

So who ya got?

I'll bite. McHale would never to it, and he'd be too lazy to recruit, but he's shown himself as a dang good coach. Jackson has turned into a pretty well-regarded assistant, which I'm not sure I expected. Not that that translates into head coaching material, but it's something.

Ben Johnson, Saunders, and Bickerstaff would be the only considerations for me.

Are we the only fan base that is obsessed with our coaches having a tie to the program? Why limit ourselves to people formerly associated with the program? Are we trying to get back to some unknown glory days? It’s insane.

That said I’d take the only former gopher who has coached a team to a professional championship. Tony Dungy.

I'm not sure there are any viable candidates for head coach. But I would be interested in someone like Damian Johnson on the staff. I believe he's gotten pretty good reviews in his current position, hasn't he?

I'm not sure there are any viable candidates for head coach. But I would be interested in someone like Damian Johnson on the staff. I believe he's gotten pretty good reviews in his current position, hasn't he?
He's in year 0 of his current position, so tough to say if he's been successful in building a culture. He did well at North, but jumped ship to a new gig. I'd be afraid he'd use us as a stepping stone... :ROFLMAO:

What about Jamaal Abu Schamala? He ways always sitting behind the gophers at games.

I want brian dutcher but if I would have to answer a former gopher basketball player I would say damian johnson.

Anyone that can recruit instate talent.

Anyone know what Hosea Crittenden is up to these days?

Fan favorite, maybe he can put some people in the seats. ;)

Not that I'd suggest him for HC, but does Quincy have coaching experience? Would he be a decent assistant coach?

Dutcher and Medved are former Gophers.

Go Gophers!!

Top Bottom