Philip Nelson Is Leaving The Gopher Program UPDATED 1/29: Transferring to Rutgers

Surprised he cites wanting to go to a program that passes the ball more in order to take advantage of his talents. Throwing the football is not a strength of Nelson's, so I'm not sure where that thought process is coming from.

Also, it seems quite possible that he wanted to be the permanent starter heading into next year and was told that wasn't going to happen. Fact is, he didn't do enough to justify being the unquestioned starter, either now or for next year.

He's going to need to really improve his passing abilities if he truly wants to go to a program that emphasizes the pass more.

This feels like it might have been a mutual decision between Kill and Phillip that it's best for both. I bet it was addressed that Leidner is passing him in the development process and that the program is leaning more towards him going forward and that Phillip would be tabbed as the back-up, but.. that Phillip deserved to be a starter, somewhere, just not here.. similar to the Max Shortell situation. 'You're good but not what we need and you'd be better suited somewhere else and we'll do all we can to help you find the best place for you.'

This is what I'm thinking as well.

2 more schollies open up. can we find a JUCO this late? Just looking around online I see there are a decent number still available but is that a route we want to go? Just really hurts our depth now to lose him

How many drops?
How many fumbles?
How many sacks taken?
How many wins?
How much better was Mitch?

There are 10,067 things that go into playing or evaluating a qb.

OK there, Jon Gruden. I remember your strong takes during the coaching search. You're a contrarian doofus.

OK, there, Jon Gruden. I remember your strong takes during the coaching search. You're a contrarian doofus.

How many years do you think kill has left? I have got 2

Mitch can't get the ball out on time.
Mitch can't throw the ball accurately down the field.
Mitch fumbles the ball at a high rate.

I liked Nelson but ...

Watch the bowl game or the 8 other games Nelson couldn't throw it in a 20 foot circle and get back to me.

there was concern about his performance. He wasn't accurate on hardly any passes, even the completions. Much more of a concern to me were the games he looked ready to cry on the sidelines or glazed over while playing. At least Leidner has fun playing!

I wish the best of luck to him with his new team. Hopefully, this does not impact our recruiting efforts for WR and our top targets, and future QB recruiting.

Minnesota Duluth and St. Cloud state both have quarterbacks better than liedner.
St. Cloud state has a backup qb better than him

Haha sure thing there guy....this has went from you voicing an opinion to trolling REALLY quick.

How many years do you think kill has left? I have got 2

Mitch can't get the ball out on time.
Mitch can't throw the ball accurately down the field.
Mitch fumbles the ball at a high rate.

Check the stats and compare the two buddy. Don't know what crawled up your a$$ and died, but all of a sudden D2 QB's are better than ours...

Not even going to mention that Kill comment. TROLL

I love reading all the posts about how this is not a big loss, no big deal.....

Nelson was disappointing at times during his career here but there is no way losing your most experienced QB can be viewed as a good thing. It leaves us with 1 guy with experience (and a fumbling problem) being backed up by guys with no experience in an offense that relies on the QB to run the ball. Yep that looks like a great situation to me.

At least he has an experienced and talented receiving core to throw to....oh wait....

The sky isn't falling and the program will recover but let's quit the this is no big deal crap because this is a big loss and it puts a ton of pressure on Leidner to grow up real quick.

This feels like it might have been a mutual decision between Kill and Phillip that it's best for both. I bet it was addressed that Leidner is passing him in the development process and that the program is leaning more towards him going forward and that Phillip would be tabbed as the back-up, but.. that Phillip deserved to be a starter, somewhere, just not here.. similar to the Max Shortell situation. 'You're good but not what we need and you'd be better suited somewhere else and we'll do all we can to help you find the best place for you.'

Quite possible, as Dad says this has been an ongoing discussion. If you are not happy, let me show you out, the door is right over here.

Nelson was disappointing at times during his career here but there is no way losing your most experienced QB can be viewed as a good thing. It leaves us with 1 guy with experience (and a fumbling problem) being backed up by guys with no experience in an offense that relies on the QB to run the ball. Yep that looks like a great situation to me.

At least he has an experienced and talented receiving core to throw to....oh wait....

The sky isn't falling and the program will recover but let's quit the this is no big deal crap because this is a big loss and it puts a ton of pressure on Leidner to grow up real quick.
Why does it matter that Nelson is experienced if he isn't very good?

This team just went from a dark horse division winner to a struggle to get to 6 wins with one announcement.
Liedner is not close to the qb Nelson is.

Yes, Nelson had three bad drives in the Syracuse game.
Then Mitch came in and lit them up for 17 points on 50% passing.

Maybe Leidner takes a huge jump and plays better without the same competition every day.

A father is involved in the life of his 20 year old son?

The horror!

Memory tells me you were/are a coach or at the least consider yourself one. It's about perspective. Dad thinks his son is Johnny Manziel and giving his son advice based on that evaluation. Rather than seeing reality that his son is getting beat out by his lack of performance. Rather than encouraging his son to compete, Dad, instead of teaching his son life lessons to numerous to mention, he suggests his son to quit. And you support him.

I don't know the answer, so this is dangerous, but how bad did Lakeville beat Rosemount? Or what made you so bitter about Leidner?

Spot on.

The way the season ended at the bowl game, and now this (with Harbison) has certainly dampened what was a very exciting season. It puts a little tarnish on the the the success of the season, and also on Kill for that matter. This is the kinda stuff other coaches blow up when doing some negative recruiting. More questions that need answering that I didn't think we had going into the Wisconsin game.

You cant say this is a big loss as a matter of fact yet. Not a single one of us knows whether or not this will turn out to be a big deal yet.

Overall he's been average so far.

I agree with you and it is certainly a concern for recruiting. Nelson was a spokesperson for the team. I don't believe very many people saw this coming.

Too bad. This will probably set the program back at least a year -- both in QB development and recruiting.

Well Sh!t then!

You cant say this is a big loss as a matter of fact yet. Not a single one of us knows whether or not this will turn out to be a big deal yet.

Overall he's been average so far.

Thought we were going to have a good competition between Nelson and Leidner this Spring and adding Mckinzy and Strevlar to the mix was also going to mix it up. I liked Nelson as a Gophers QB thought he was a tough SOB that would eventually become more accurate with the passing game and at least be the starter next year. Maybe he thinks with the play calling and run oriented offense the Gophers run that he was not a fit at Minnesota anymore. Obviously he was disappointed in his development, to him hopefully he finds the place he will fit. Maybe he thought Leidner would beat him out or that the guy's played harder for Leidner, who knows all speculation at this point, obviously Nelson has chosen to move on and transfer. Good luck to Nelson may he find what he is looking for.
Well he wants to go to a passing game place, University of Houston passes the ball a lot(and his buddy Barker was once in line to go there) and so do Baylor(is there guy leaving early for NFL) and Texas Tech or Texas A&M a lot. UCF has George O-leary as head coach ex Vikings coach and a QB likely moving on to the next level and they throw the ball a lot, he might want to get in touch with George. Washington State and the Pirate Mike Leach like to throw the ball around like a basketball, perhaps he should look to move to WAZZU. Wazzu would probably be the type of offense he is looking for.
Phillip Nelson better get a move on for that transfer as school has started or about to start many places same with Harbison he wan'ts to play D1 and transfer he better move quickly on making contact and that transfer paperwork. Texas longhorns need a QB that can throw the ball, perhaps he should reach out to Charlie Strong.
Good luck to Phillip in his future endeavors as well as Jamel Harbison may they find what they are looking for. I guess it is next man up, Leidner, Strevlar, Mckinzy it is your chance to shine and emerge from the pack, pick up the football and run with it one of your guys will have to lead the team and take the helm on offense. Go Gophers.

Top Bottom