Phil Steele's Preseason All B10

Ski U Master

Reaction score
No Gophers on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd team all Big Ten. Three on the 4th team: Royston (FS), Stoudermire (KR), Carufel (OG).

Not that I put much stock in that sort of thing, but NONE on the 1st three? Ouch. Doesn't fill one with optimism.

Means Nothing and Means Everything

I thought about this. I couldn't come up with a player that should be listed in any preseason Big 10 award. It seems like we've always had a diamond in the rough, even when we've had lousy teams. There was always a Chris Darkins, Tutu Atwell, Tyrone Carter, etc. Not this year. I don't like that one bit.
But, the preseason awards mean squat. If we end up with five or so players on the Big 10 1st, 2nd or HM post season awards, I'd like that. That counts, especially if it generates some more W's.

I strongly believe that both Keanon Cooper and Michael Carter will make the 3rd team at the very least. One will most likely be on the second team and there is always the chance that a big year propels one all the way to the first team.

The guy has to make his choices based on previous performance. I can't see how he could have put any of our kids on there. But this really misses what this team is about this year. This year the young talent takes over, they are unproven. This list doesn't say much about our team. And really we don't know much about it.

I fully expect that next year you'll see several Gophers on this list. I have no idea what that means for this year.

Due to the amount of unknowns entering this fall, it's tough to put any particular player on the first three based on past performance. But if all goes well, the gophers will have their fair share of All-conference players come November.

I shutter to think how he has us finishing this season! LOL

Someone needs to remind Phil Steele that brewster is a recruiting machine. :rolleyes:

Keep in mind, Champ, that the guys from Brewster's first full recruiting class who didn't redshirt will be juniors. And that's only a handful of guys -- so most are sophomores and freshmen. And I would be surprised if one or more of those juniors, let's say Edwards, Kirskey or Tinsley (if he plays), for example, don't get some recognition by the end of the season. Certainly top four, if anybody looks that deep in November. These are good players who were technically backups to other DTs and LBs who made up the strength of our team last year -- yet, they still played a lot. I'm sure someone like Phil Steele is starting with a pool of last year's starters and as he examines the field.

But, please ... don't let the facts get in the way of your whine. You're so much more fun when you're complaining!

Keep in mind, Champ, that the guys from Brewster's first full recruiting class who didn't redshirt will be juniors.

In that same time period (classes of 2008 and 2009), Iowa has managed to put 2 players on Steele's 1st, 2nd or 3rd team list, and Wisconsin has managed to put 4 players on it.

So, did Mason leave the team so loaded that none of Brewster's recruits could crack the lineup, or has Brewster's recruiting maybe not lived up to the hype?

I didn't have this feeling before, but after reading Mr. Steele's lists, when January 10, 2011 rolls around, if either Iowa or tOSU fail to have at least 12 wins they should be looked at as squandering some of the best talent to have been put on a Big Ten roster.

Ferentz, who I regard as a very good coach, has assembled the greatest depth of talent since the 1985 Bears! They got 19 players in the top three at their positions. To hell with injuries. It will be interesting to read the Iowa fans reactions. They constantly complain that the Hawkeyes don't get enough respect. How can you whine about that kind of respect? They should be coming up for the November game with 10 or 11 wins already notched on their belt. How could you expect anything less with that kind of talent and coaching?

The Buckeye for their part, have NINE players whom Mr. Steele says are the cream of the crop in the Big Ten. They also are known for depth. How can they lose more then a game or so this year?

If either of those teams lose even twice, their whole coaching staffs should resign rather then force their school to pay any penalty to "ride them out on a rail". They've got all the talent, neither have a "killer" schedule and they've been blessed with superior coaching. The only question is will one or both of them be playing for the National Championship?

Brewster, according to this list, hasn't done much recruiting, with the lack of talent though and
a killer schedule if they can win 4 or 5 games he'll go down in history with Bierman, Hayes and Schembeckler.:eek:

I strongly believe that both Keanon Cooper and Michael Carter will make the 3rd team at the very least. One will most likely be on the second team and there is always the chance that a big year propels one all the way to the first team.

I'd be willing to bet that Keanon Cooper isn't our top LB next year.

In that same time period (classes of 2008 and 2009), Iowa has managed to put 2 players on Steele's 1st, 2nd or 3rd team list, and Wisconsin has managed to put 4 players on it.

So, did Mason leave the team so loaded that none of Brewster's recruits could crack the lineup, or has Brewster's recruiting maybe not lived up to the hype?

No. It means a large majority of his recruits were redshifted, and next season will be the first you can criticize Brewster in regards to the recruits he has brought to the program. Patience. Maybe the whining of the Brewster haters will be valid in time.

WTF is up with "4th team"?!? You're essentially in the middle of the pack, so how does anyone stand out. You might as well give C students an honor roll plaque. 4th team is like the personality award they give the fat chick in a beauty pageant.

That said, Steele traditionally underrates the smaller schools, and I think a few guys will surprise. Steele knows which schools' alumni buy subscriptions, and he sucks up accordingly. One thing stands out, though. I'm used to seeing a preponderance of bucknuts, Lions, and even cheezweezels on this list. But the skunkbears are conspicuous by their absence. I'll bet Dickrod is hearing about this from someone.

As others have posted, I find it disappointing that 4 seasons into Brewster's regime more of his guys haven't at least cracked the third team (which is legit). You can spin it any way you want with redshirts, but as others have pointed out some other schools have underclassmen represented.

WTF is up with "4th team"?!? You're essentially in the middle of the pack, so how does anyone stand out. You might as well give C students an honor roll plaque. 4th team is like the personality award they give the fat chick in a beauty pageant.

Thanks man. That made me laugh out loud. :drink:

Keep in mind, Champ, that the guys from Brewster's first full recruiting class who didn't redshirt will be juniors.

I keep hearing about brewster's much-ballyhooed 2008 recruiting class. Maybe it's time for another visit to this group of student-athletes...

-4* DT Tim McGee..........never showed up
-4* WR Vince Hill............never showed up
-4* CB Tray Simmons......elegibility just expired (JUCO)
-4* LB Rex Sharpe..........elegibility just expired (JUCO)
-4* WR David Pittman.....elegibility just expired (JUCO)
-3* LB Simoni Lawrence...elegibility just expired (JUCO)
-2* DE Cedric McKinley....elegibility just expired (JUCO)
-3* OT Roszell Gaden......diverted from Dinkytown, went to JUCO, now heading to Auburn
-3* WR/CB J. Dandridge...transferred out last semester
-2* RB/DE/LB T. Combs...gone
-3* S Tramaine Brock......gone due to academics
-3* WR Broderick Smith...transferred a year ago
-2* QB John Nance.........transferred out to play basketball
-3* RB Kevin Whaley.......repeated thuggery got him a one-way bus ticket home, or somewhere

There may be one or two others whose status is uncertain.

No doubt, there will be some contributors among those 2008 recruits who've stayed. But be careful on how much you expect this class to rock the Big 10.

As others have posted, I find it disappointing that 4 seasons into Brewster's regime more of his guys haven't at least cracked the third team (which is legit). You can spin it any way you want with redshirts, but as others have pointed out some other schools have underclassmen represented.

Finally a sane voice. There was a reason I compared the Gophers to Iowa and Wisconsin and not PSU or OSU. No one expects the Gophers to have a half-dozen FR and SO show up as 1st, 2nd or even 3rd team players, but not one?

The results on the field support Steele's decision to leave Gopher players off his list. Given that the team isn't littered with upperclass talent left over from Mason, why can't Brewster's vaunted recruits earn playing time? If you've got players that can help the team win now, why redshirt so many? Do you think there is some super-secret master plan to unleash a squad of all-Big Ten caliber players this year?

does steele work for ohio state? holy hell they are all over the first team

If none of Brewster's recruits crack the POSTseason Big Ten All Conference teams, I think it will be more than fair to criticize him. Being upset because a player has not done enough in his freshman or sophomore year to garner preseason recognition for his play on a team that went 3-5 in conference seems unfair. It's far easier to gain that recognition if you are on a team that's winning.

If none of Brewster's recruits crack the POSTseason Big Ten All Conference teams, I think it will be more than fair to criticize him. Being upset because a player has not done enough in his freshman or sophomore year to garner preseason recognition for his play on a team that went 3-5 in conference seems unfair. It's far easier to gain that recognition if you are on a team that's winning.

Ditto above. Players who were not full-time starters (and are therefore not on the radars of guys like Phil Steele) whom I believe will be Top 3 all-conference at the end of the year:

Dan Orseske, Jewhan Edwards, Da'jon McKnight, Michael Carter, Keanon Cooper.

I don't disagree with you, but Cooper should have more opportunities for "big plays."

Much like Lee Campbell has been our best LB over the past two seasons, it's the others who receive recognition.

On this board, I'm probably the biggest pro-Rallis person there is. But Rallis doing his job will mean that he doesn't get noticed. I think he'll be a stud, but I don't see him being all BT. But his play should create numerous opportunities for Cooper. A couple forced fumbles here. Some TFL's there. Probably a couple picks. At least one fumble recovery bought back to the house. Then one All BT to cap it off.

Patrick Sveum? Joey Balthazor? If you're right, that means somebody's really stepped it up and filled some big shoes. That's encouraging. Cooper's value is going to be a little inflated by his big-play ability. Give me a guy like that and a couple of solid, steady backers lining up next to him and the Gophers are in business.

I keep hearing about brewster's much-ballyhooed 2008 recruiting class. Maybe it's time for another visit to this group of student-athletes...

-4* DT Tim McGee..........never showed up
-4* WR Vince Hill............never showed up
-4* CB Tray Simmons......elegibility just expired (JUCO)
-4* LB Rex Sharpe..........elegibility just expired (JUCO)
-4* WR David Pittman.....elegibility just expired (JUCO)
-3* LB Simoni Lawrence...elegibility just expired (JUCO)
-2* DE Cedric McKinley....elegibility just expired (JUCO)
-3* OT Roszell Gaden......diverted from Dinkytown, went to JUCO, now heading to Auburn
-3* WR/CB J. Dandridge...transferred out last semester
-2* RB/DE/LB T. Combs...gone
-3* S Tramaine Brock......gone due to academics
-3* WR Broderick Smith...transferred a year ago
-2* QB John Nance.........transferred out to play basketball
-3* RB Kevin Whaley.......repeated thuggery got him a one-way bus ticket home, or somewhere

There may be one or two others whose status is uncertain.

No doubt, there will be some contributors among those 2008 recruits who've stayed. But be careful on how much you expect this class to rock the Big 10.

Good post. Makes it hard to evaluate a class right away. Kind of reminds me of Tubby class last year. Big dreams, poor results.

Top Bottom