Pharrel Payne visiting Indiana this week.

I agree; however, the money that the students deserve, should come from the money that they generate.

But schools can't directly pay the players......so.......

The players aren't generating the money. If they didn't have the school logo on, they wouldn't generate a nickel.

Sure they are. If the Gophers were making the tournament every year and making runs in the tournament.....the Barn would be selling out. Regardless.....if it weren't for the players......there'd be no product.

ASICS give me the width I need. In the length department I’m impressive as is. 😗

Your continual insistence on how you “measure up” makes me wonder🤔 if you’re really the Randy Newman of the board🧐

I only wear New Balance as they have extra wide shoes. It was a joke (my bad, thought that was obvious kiddo) to another poster’s post - not everything in life is political and or literal - there is a forum designed specifically for that type discourse.
Please never point the gun at yourself. You are very easily triggered.

Normal students do not generate millions and millions of dollars for their University and the NCAA. College athletes (in certain sports) do. Yeah.....they deserve some compensation.
Yes, out of the money they are helping generate.

But schools can't directly pay the players......so.......
If I had to guess, this is the direction it will eventually go. The money making sports will have their own budget and keep all their profits. The sports that aren't profitable will no longer be funded by the profitable sports.

Please never point the gun at yourself. You are very easily triggered.

Thanks kiddo for confirming that you’re best enjoyed via ignore.

God Bless you 🙏and may peace be with you☮️

Last edited:

If I had to guess, this is the direction it will eventually go. The money making sports will have their own budget and keep all their profits. The sports that aren't profitable will no longer be funded by the profitable sports.
Salary cap incoming. The money thing has kind of ruined the competitive advantage for good recruiters. BIG should set a realistic cap. problem is, these schools like the opacity of the current system because the figures are higher than people think.

I was witness to an exchange between a reporter and Payne at the Big Ten Media Day where the reporter asked something along the lines of who’s your favorite Gopher of all time (or who’s the best - in that vein). He couldn’t come up with anyone. He explained he wasn’t into the history. Afterwards, Garcia teased him mercilessly, but the point is that if Payne is typical of players these days, there is a lot less dreaming of wearing the hometown jersey than any fan base thinks/hopes.
Totally agree.

If your a NBA coach who's vetting prospects and you happen to like cam as a prospect... Would you as an organization want him developing under your coaches or have him learning under CBJ.....
You draft him, stash him, and develop him.... If an organization says we will draft you in the 2nd round and get you ready for the NBA.... You take it...

Sorry etp... Not sure how I quoted you lol

This guy's brother is the best coach in the G-League.
images (5).jpeg

Sure they are. If the Gophers were making the tournament every year and making runs in the tournament.....the Barn would be selling out. Regardless.....if it weren't for the players......there'd be no product.
The schools draw the money. Not the players.

Switch the players, and the money is the same. But switch the school logos (to minor-league logos), and they won't draw a nickel.

And they will go away. Bye bye northern baseball, golf, track, etc.

I believe this is where they have to go if they have any prayer of building some sort of real system. RIght now, we are just pretending that the schools don't pay the players through shell entities we call NIL collectives and it's chaos because neither side can really enforce whatever deal they agree to. We have stories like the Iowa football player who took the NIL money and dipped and stories of players not getting paid.

On the other hand, there is a massive Title IX issue that I don't know if they can work around because if they pay everyone the same - football and basketball players are drastically underpaid. There is also the problem that a more structured system might be a different version of the same thing - are things really that different with a series of 1 year contracts with the school?

It's just a mess.

Yes, out of the money they are helping generate.

So you want the schools to start being able to directly pay the players? If you hate the way things are going right now......then maybe you need to rethink that stance/.

The schools draw the money. Not the players.

Switch the players, and the money is the same. But switch the school logos (to minor-league logos), and they won't draw a nickel.

Without the players, there is no product. Do you think that Iowa's Women's basketball is just massively popular? Think the interest there has anything to do with a certain player?

Without the players, there is no product. Do you think that Iowa's Women's basketball is just massively popular? Think the interest there has anything to do with a certain player?
We could get rid of all the players. Put in other players...and revenue is the same.

But take away the college logos...and ALL the revenue is COMPLETELY GONE.

We could get rid of all the players. Put in other players...and revenue is the same.

The money will follow the players. The revenue won’t vanish, it will just relocate. Whatever replaces college basketball in this fantasy of yours will just become part of the NBA system. NBA profits will grow because basketball fans will fill the void of college sports by watching more NBA.

So you want the schools to start being able to directly pay the players? If you hate the way things are going right now......then maybe you need to rethink that stance/.
I think it's a compromise. Paying players in some way is not going away. I wouldn't like this but it would be better than the current situation IMO.

The money will follow the players. The revenue won’t vanish, it will just relocate. Whatever replaces college basketball in this fantasy of yours will just become part of the NBA system. NBA profits will grow because basketball fans will fill the void of college sports by watching more NBA.
So the money would follow the current players to a minor league??

And colleges using new student-athlete basketball players wouldn't generate money??

The delusion in here is real. What's going on? Are we sheep or something?

It's like the never-ending discussion in most media outlets. The Talent: If it weren't for the product and content we produce, you would have nothing to sell. The Sales: If we didn't sell your content, you'd have to actually go out and find another job. The Management: If we didn't give you both an outlet to create a product and sell it, you'd both be out of luck! Now shut-Up and get busy doing what you do.

You are wrong. If the product (the players) isn't good.....people will not spend their money to watch. Why do you think attendance follows success? Why do you think the best college teams end up on network channels and ESPN while the worst ones are relegated to channels that nobody watches? Why do you think that PGA viewership has been down since LIV entered the equation?

Your entire argument is terrible.

I think it's a compromise. Paying players in some way is not going away. I wouldn't like this but it would be better than the current situation IMO.

Possibly. It would only work if the NCAA could implement some sort of cap.

The problem is that the court still might say they can't restrict players getting outside NIL $$ on top of what the school pays, which would leave us in pretty much the same place. Maybe if it's collectively bargained that changes, but who knows.

You are wrong. If the product (the players) isn't good.....people will not spend their money to watch. Why do you think attendance follows success? Why do you think the best college teams end up on network channels and ESPN while the worst ones are relegated to channels that nobody watches? Why do you think that PGA viewership has been down since LIV entered the equation?

You are so wrong it's unbelievable. I can't believe I have to explain this.

We watch college BB...or high school...because it's our school. Not because we're in awe of the spectacular talent.

If you took the top 100 players and moved them to the G league, neither ticket sales nor interest would decrease. Duke/Kentucky/UCLA would still get the 101st and 102nd best player. Quality of play would drop, but the draw would still be the same. If people cared about talent as their #1 priority they would NBA fans to begin with.

The universities created this mess themselves by the arms race they began in the 2000's..but no one is forcing these kids to play collegiate ball (at least in basketball). It's a free market.

Agreed.

Absolutely the schools should pay the money directly to the players. The argument for players getting money has always been that they are generating money for the universities through their performance on the field. That money is going to the universities through tickets for the stands, TV contracts, and various other revenue streams.

Logically, the players should be paid out of that money, not from fan donations. If that makes players employees of the schools, fine. It is disingenuous to claim they are not.

There is a much bigger issue that has not yet been presented to the courts. Under the current system where players are not employees and are paid by outsiders, what authority do public universities have that allows them to house, feed, provide training facilities, travel expense, the use of a public universities stadium, and national exposure through the universities TV contracts to professional athletes?

The answer is, public universities have no legal authority to provide these services to professional athletes using them to promote and enhance their own future earning power.

Absolutely the schools should pay the money directly to the players. The argument for players getting money has always been that they are generating money for the universities through their performance on the field. That money is going to the universities through tickets for the stands, TV contracts, and various other revenue streams.

Logically, the players should be paid out of that money, not from fan donations. If that makes players employees of the schools, fine. It is disingenuous to claim they are not.

There is a much bigger issue that has not yet been presented to the courts. Under the current system where players are not employees and are paid by outsiders, what authority do public universities have that allows them to house, feed, provide training facilities, travel expense, the use of a public universities stadium, and national exposure through the universities TV contracts to professional athletes?

The answer is, public universities have no legal authority to provide these services to professional athletes using them to promote and enhance their own future earning power.
If we're talking legalities...here are my initial grounds for a lawsuit against colleges (or anyone) paying students/players:

Cheapening of degrees
False advertising
Misuse of funds
Egregious contracts
Perpetrating a fraud
Misuse of public lands & assets
No oversight
Secret contracts
Kickbacks
Unfair business practices
Uneven enforcement
Solicitation of minors
Corruption
Bribery
Buying grades
Fraud classes/coursework
Suspicious multiple transfers
Title IX violations

You are so wrong it's unbelievable. I can't believe I have to explain this.

We watch college BB...or high school...because it's our school. Not because we're in awe of the spectacular talent.

So explain why ratings have been up for women's college basketball this year. Explain why Iowa in particular had so much interest. Why teams playing the Fever this year are seeing those games sold out and ticket prices shooting through the roof. Just replace Clark with another player?

Your take here is fantastically idiotic. Sure.....diehard fans like us who post on the team's message boards might not drop off and continue to watch. But the casual sports fans won't. They'll find something else to watch. The players and the product.....and if the product sucks.....most people will spend their money elsewhere. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

Top Bottom