Pharrel Payne visiting Indiana this week.

Yeah.....it's really ruining one of the best aspects of the college game. At the same time.....the athletes deserve compensation. Just wish that the NCAA was a better run organization and that they got out in front of this rather than wait until it was forced. If they would have been smarter about this stuff.....they could have set up rules involving NIL that kept it from spiraling out of control.......but here we are.
No, the athletes do NOT deserve compensation. There are other comments in this thread that also say they deserve to be paid. But no, they do NOT.

Students pay for college. Colleges don't pay for students. But no one has a brain anymore or can actually think for the themselves.

To be paid, they should start a minor league. Then they will discover that their ACTUAL worth is nothing.

Ah yes, the old, if you don’t like it, leave it argument. People do not have to leave their place of employment to ask for better conditions or compensation. I’m not sure why people embrace this train of thought, we don’t have to polish a turd particularly as profits sky rocket. Universities gave scholarships to fill arenas 50 years ago, this has since become a billion dollar industry, players receiving further compensation is natural progression.

With this thought process, people would still be working six day, 80 hour weeks. Be grateful those who came before you didn’t just accept whatever they were given.
The natural progression would be for athletes to be compensated by the recipients of those billions they are creating with their performances -- the universities who receive TV and other revenues.

It makes zero sense to claim athletes deserve some of what they help create but then say somebody else should pay them.

Exploiting the worker! LOL! The deal of playing a game for a scholarship has always been a great deal and always will be. If one is unhappy about the deal- they always had the opportunity to get a job, hang with the boys, go play ball overseas. Nobody got exploited. It was a free choice readily accepted.

Same goes in the workplace. Don't like working for the man? Go elsewhere. Don't want to work for anyone and be exploited? Great. Start your own business and see how that works out.
The truth is the NCAA was forced to make the change because the courts tend to agree with....well the law?

"Anti trust law should not be a cover for exploitation of the student athletes"

No offense, but I'll take the legal arguments of Yale educated Justice Brett Kavanaugh over bga1

The truth is the NCAA was forced to make the change because the courts tend to agree with....well the law?

"Anti trust law should not be a cover for exploitation of the student athletes"

No offense, but I'll take the legal arguments of Yale educated Justice Brett Kavanaugh over bga1
We might as well not even have games then. If they can't have their own rules.

Like if I'm playing the Monopoly board-game...can I just take $10 out of my pocket and buy another player's property?

We might as well not even have games then. If they can't have their own rules.

Like if I'm playing the Monopoly board-game...can I just take $10 out of my pocket and buy another players property?
? Not sure the correlation with your comment and mine

? Not sure the correlation with your comment and mine
College basketball is a game. For student-athletes. That should have its own rules.

It shouldn't be an open free-market for schools to bid on players.

What's to stop the bidding mid-season??

And why not add older already-pro players??

College basketball is a game. For student-athletes. That should have its own rules.

It shouldn't be an open free-market for schools to bid on players.

What's to stop the bidding mid-season??

And why not add older already-pro players??
Slippery slope comment is weak because it argues about policy not the fact the athletes should be paid. They are two separate issues.

There are kinks, and I am certain there will continue to be, but it will smooth out

Slippery slope comment is weak because it argues about policy not the fact the athletes should be paid. They are two separate issues.

There are kinks, and I am certain there will continue to be, but it will smooth out
Colleges bidding on students yearly is already way more than a slippery slope...it's a gigantic mountaintop cliff dropoff.

I was witness to an exchange between a reporter and Payne at the Big Ten Media Day where the reporter asked something along the lines of who’s your favorite Gopher of all time (or who’s the best - in that vein). He couldn’t come up with anyone. He explained he wasn’t into the history. Afterwards, Garcia teased him mercilessly, but the point is that if Payne is typical of players these days, there is a lot less dreaming of wearing the hometown jersey than any fan base thinks/hopes.

The natural progression would be for athletes to be compensated by the recipients of those billions they are creating with their performances -- the universities who receive TV and other revenues.

It makes zero sense to claim athletes deserve some of what they help create but then say somebody else should pay them.
This is my biggest issue with the NIL thing. The NCAA and the universities are making billions, but we need to donate our money to DTA to try to lure recruits in hopes that we can field a good team and make the university more money! It's so backwards.

I think it is interesting that a free education is no longer viewed as any sort of compensation.

I get it, there is tons of money in college athletics now and everyone is trying to get theirs. And for the guys who have no pro future (which is most of them) it is chance to get paid. Heck, I'm not even against the players getting paid, but like you said it is a shame that this current mess is how they are going about getting them paid.

I am sure I will still follow the U of M teams but this current landscape is making it harder and harder for fans to really invest in their team. Has all become about money and greed and really removed much of what made college sports better than pro sports in so many ways.
Your opening sentence is funny. I think its absolutely viewed as compensation but that part is equal across almost all schools. Its not like the Gophers are offering free college and Indiana isnt. Or UNI, or SDSU or any number of schools. So take that away and what compensation remains? Thats the difference.

The pendulum has swung very far in one direction very quickly. But the nature of a pendulum is that it swings back and forth. I think in a few years we'll be in a better place in terms of NIL, Portal and college athletics as a whole.

No, the athletes do NOT deserve compensation. There are other comments in this thread that also say they deserve to be paid. But no, they do NOT.

Students pay for college. Colleges don't pay for students. But no one has a brain anymore or can actually think for the themselves.

To be paid, they should start a minor league. Then they will discover that their ACTUAL worth is nothing.
The tv contracts the SEC and Big Ten have negotiated for football and basketball say otherwise. Schools found a way to pay for the plethora of athletic programs they cannot afford. Can't have your cake and eat it to.

Sure it's tied to universities but not in a very ethical manner.

The tv contracts the SEC and Big Ten have negotiated for football and basketball say otherwise. Schools found a way to pay for the plethora of athletic programs they cannot afford. Can't have your cake and eat it to.

Sure it's tied to universities but not in a very ethical manner.
We watch because of the schools. Not because of the players. If they were on any other team, nobody would watch.

Now, it's a big lie and fraud for the players to wear the school jersey and claim that they're students. We should do a big class-action lawsuit for fraud.

I was witness to an exchange between a reporter and Payne at the Big Ten Media Day where the reporter asked something along the lines of who’s your favorite Gopher of all time (or who’s the best - in that vein). He couldn’t come up with anyone. He explained he wasn’t into the history. Afterwards, Garcia teased him mercilessly, but the point is that if Payne is typical of players these days, there is a lot less dreaming of wearing the hometown jersey than any fan base thinks/hopes.

Hopefully the defections of Payne/JOJ/Carrington wake up the fan base and administration to this reality. It hasn't been that way for a long time. These kids don't all have Goldy Gopher posters in their bedrooms growing up. If only we had the right coach that could "get" all these players. Why? With wall to wall basketball coverage, AAU basketball, prep schools, free agency, and now NIL, the mentality of "closing the borders" has never been more antiquated. Kids that want to stay home will do so regardless of whether or not the coach has "Minnesota connections." Our fan base has always been way too provincial in my view.

The players wanted a pro style model. Give it to them. Find a way to pay the three best players. Fill in the rest of the roster with role players that may or may not stick around. Quit worrying about equity. The quarterback doesn't make the same as the backup safety. The new environment will benefit some and hurt others. But this is what the players wanted. Time for the fan base and administration to catch up.

You ever buy a pair of Nike shoes or an Iphone?

I only wear New Balance as they have extra wide shoes. It was a joke (my bad, thought that was obvious kiddo) to another poster’s post - not everything in life is political and or literal - there is a forum designed specifically for that type discourse.

Hopefully the defections of Payne/JOJ/Carrington wake up the fan base and administration to this reality. It hasn't been that way for a long time. These kids don't all have Goldy Gopher posters in their bedrooms growing up. If only we had the right coach that could "get" all these players. Why? With wall to wall basketball coverage, AAU basketball, prep schools, free agency, and now NIL, the mentality of "closing the borders" has never been more antiquated. Kids that want to stay home will do so regardless of whether or not the coach has "Minnesota connections." Our fan base has always been way too provincial in my view.

The players wanted a pro style model. Give it to them. Find a way to pay the three best players. Fill in the rest of the roster with role players that may or may not stick around. Quit worrying about equity. The quarterback doesn't make the same as the backup safety. The new environment will benefit some and hurt others. But this is what the players wanted. Time for the fan base and administration to catch up.
I went to a gathering where Coyle and Ben spoke ( a year ago)and addressed NIL. You have exactly captured the equity mentality they expressed in that meeting. You are spot on here. Have they modified their opinion of how to deal with NIL since then? I would hope so, but the U is always a step behind the music in my view and it may well be too little too late.

Your opening sentence is funny. I think its absolutely viewed as compensation but that part is equal across almost all schools. Its not like the Gophers are offering free college and Indiana isnt. Or UNI, or SDSU or any number of schools. So take that away and what compensation remains? Thats the difference.

The pendulum has swung very far in one direction very quickly. But the nature of a pendulum is that it swings back and forth. I think in a few years we'll be in a better place in terms of NIL, Portal and college athletics as a whole.
My opening line was more in reference to people saying the players deserve to be compensated. They already are compensated in the form of a free college education. Can certainly be argued that with all the money in college sports that a free education isn't enough. But for a long time it was seen as a fair tradeoff.

Agree that things will normalize eventually and we will look back on these years in awe at the insanity of it all. It is clear that the current model is unsustainable long term but it takes a while for these things to sort themselves out, especially when there is such drastic change in a really short period of time.

I only wear New Balance as they have extra wide shoes. It was a joke (my bad, thought that was obvious kiddo) to another poster’s post - not everything in life is political and or literal - there is a forum designed specifically for that type discourse.
👍 on New Balance.

Normal students do not generate millions and millions of dollars for their University and the NCAA. College athletes (in certain sports) do. Yeah.....they deserve some compensation.

Normal students do not generate millions and millions of dollars for their University and the NCAA. College athletes (in certain sports) do. Yeah.....they deserve some compensation.
The players aren't generating the money. If they didn't have the school logo on, they wouldn't generate a nickel.

ASICS give me the width I need. In the length department I’m impressive as is. 😗

The players aren't generating the money. If they didn't have the school logo on, they wouldn't generate a nickel.
A good test case of this is the G-league. In theory, some of the best college players which should make for an entertaining product. The Iowa Wolves averaged 4,148/game last year (2022-2023), which was a franchise record (and they were 2nd in the G-league).

The South Bay Lakers were averaged 441 fans per game, good for last place. Interestingly enough this was Max Christie's team that year.

A good test case of this is the G-league. In theory, some of the best college players which should make for an entertaining product. The Iowa Wolves averaged 4,148/game last year (2022-2023), which was a franchise record (and they were 2nd in the G-league).

The South Bay Lakers were averaged 441 fans per game, good for last place. Interestingly enough this was Max Christie's team that year.
And zero TV dollars or interest.

And zero TV dollars or interest.
If your a NBA coach who's vetting prospects and you happen to like cam as a prospect... Would you as an organization want him developing under your coaches or have him learning under CBJ.....
You draft him, stash him, and develop him.... If an organization says we will draft you in the 2nd round and get you ready for the NBA.... You take it...

Sorry etp... Not sure how I quoted you lol

I chuckled at a related line in a Netflix series a few years ago. A group of teenage guys living on the coast were out on the water and discovered a boat wreck and found a motel room key. They went to the motel room to find out more information about the mystery man who had the key. They looked around the room and one of them said: "You know he's over 50. He wears New Balances."

I chuckled at a related line in a Netflix series a few years ago. A group of teenage guys living on the coast were out on the water and discovered a boat wreck and found a motel room key. They went to the motel room to find out more information about the mystery man who had the key. They looked around the room and one of them said: "You know he's over 50. He wears New Balances."

🤣

I wear Vans when I’m feeling spry -
So, they’ve got inches of dust on them.

Luka Garza…. Of course the Iowa Wolves are going to draw well

Top Bottom