Pharrel Payne visiting Indiana this week.

Agreed, you are a hoser if you come back to the conference to play the Gophers. Don't want to see another guy get Battle treatment from student section. Mr. Payne please go somewhere outside the Big 10. That and it is slap in face to position coaches that invested, helped develop a player like Payne's play, to come back to Big 10.

I was pretty apathetic about Battle going to OSU. Payne leaving for an in conference foe would be much worse and I'm sure he'd get razzed (rightfully so) when he came back to play at the Barn.

I hope he finds a spot that works for him and he does well. Seems like a nice kid and was easy to root for.
He had a starting/feature role on a Big Ten team playing in his home state. But apparently that wasn't good enough for him.

It is easy to understand why the players are chasing the money right now but it is a real bummer seeing what college basketball and football are becoming.

He had a starting/feature role on a Big Ten team playing in his home state. But apparently that wasn't good enough for him.

It is easy to understand why the players are chasing the money right now but it is a real bummer seeing what college basketball and football are becoming.

Yeah.....it's really ruining one of the best aspects of the college game. At the same time.....the athletes deserve compensation. Just wish that the NCAA was a better run organization and that they got out in front of this rather than wait until it was forced. If they would have been smarter about this stuff.....they could have set up rules involving NIL that kept it from spiraling out of control.......but here we are.

And I can't blame Payne for looking for a payday. I'd say his NBA outlook is slim considering his skill set......so making some good money now.......hard to blame him. But if he has opportunity outside of the conference......I'd like to think that he'd go that route rather than piss on the Gophers and the coaching staff. by joining a team that we see every year.

Interesting info, sounds like Indiana is getting a top flight C not named Payne

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240415_093835.jpg
    Screenshot_20240415_093835.jpg
    297.8 KB · Views: 23

Yeah.....it's really ruining one of the best aspects of the college game. At the same time.....the athletes deserve compensation. Just wish that the NCAA was a better run organization and that they got out in front of this rather than wait until it was forced. If they would have been smarter about this stuff.....they could have set up rules involving NIL that kept it from spiraling out of control.......but here we are.

And I can't blame Payne for looking for a payday. I'd say his NBA outlook is slim considering his skill set......so making some good money now.......hard to blame him. But if he has opportunity outside of the conference......I'd like to think that he'd go that route rather than piss on the Gophers and the coaching staff. by joining a team that we see every year.
I think it is interesting that a free education is no longer viewed as any sort of compensation.

I get it, there is tons of money in college athletics now and everyone is trying to get theirs. And for the guys who have no pro future (which is most of them) it is chance to get paid. Heck, I'm not even against the players getting paid, but like you said it is a shame that this current mess is how they are going about getting them paid.

I am sure I will still follow the U of M teams but this current landscape is making it harder and harder for fans to really invest in their team. Has all become about money and greed and really removed much of what made college sports better than pro sports in so many ways.

I think it is interesting that a free education is no longer viewed as any sort of compensation.

I get it, there is tons of money in college athletics now and everyone is trying to get theirs. And for the guys who have no pro future (which is most of them) it is chance to get paid. Heck, I'm not even against the players getting paid, but like you said it is a shame that this current mess is how they are going about getting them paid.

I am sure I will still follow the U of M teams but this current landscape is making it harder and harder for fans to really invest in their team. Has all become about money and greed and really removed much of what made college sports better than pro sports in so many ways.
I agree about the education. How about ill give you 75,000 NIL, but there are no scholarships anymore lol

That's the way other college jobs work. Earn and pay your tuition out of it.
Would be funny to watch people's heads explode if they said you can pay guys as much pretend NIL money as you want but there won't be scholarships anymore. :)

Sure, I get that. But I also know he could get paid more to play basketball at Indiana than he might make in the first 5 years of his post basketball career combined. Possibly 10 years! I dont know what dollar figures he'll see but take the money. Basketball can be played anywhere.

Also--he might hate living in MN, BeJo, his teammates, losing or something else. Lots of people leave Minnesota for lots of reasons.

Which is funny because if there were no scholarships anymore, most people would probably say "i dont need a ton of NIL money, but if anything just cover my schooling"
This is like anything in life that people are given. Once you have been giving it long enough- they don't appreciate it unless it gets taken away. Welfare, etc.

It's really not if they are just working on obtaining some BS degree to stay eligible, which is what so many college athletes do.

That's the way other college jobs work. Earn and pay your tuition out of it.

Depends upon the job. For example, teaching and grad assistants normally receive a stipend in addition to a tuition scholarship. The stipend is taxable as wages but the scholarship is not.

Sure, I get that. But I also know he could get paid more to play basketball at Indiana than he might make in the first 5 years of his post basketball career combined. Possibly 10 years! I dont know what dollar figures he'll see but take the money. Basketball can be played anywhere.

Also--he might hate living in MN, BeJo, his teammates, losing or something else. Lots of people leave Minnesota for lots of reasons.

Agreed on the money part.

Agree also that there are a lot of reasons for leaving some place. He may not even have any particularly strong desire to leave Minnesota. Maybe he'd just wants to try living some place new. Much easier if you can have that new life heavily subsidized.

It's really not if they are just working on obtaining some BS degree to stay eligible, which is what so many college athletes do.

Have known a few guys that played D1 and the time commitments make it difficult to pursue anything more if you want any chance at playing professionally. This stopped being about education when the TV contracts came into play with advertising coming with it. Combine that with putting games on in primetime almost every day of the week and it's only college athletics by name. The domino effect began long ago and it wasn't started by the athletes. This is a theme in our society of exploiting the worker though, just to cry foul when they dare to speak up about being fairly compensated.

The only reason these scholarships are looked at as any kind of compensation is because the cost of further education is ridiculous to begin with but that's a conversation for another day.

Have known a few guys that played D1 and the time commitments make it difficult to pursue anything more if you want any chance at playing professionally. This stopped being about education when the TV contracts came into play with advertising coming with it. Combine that with putting games on in primetime almost every day of the week and it's only college athletics by name. The domino effect began long ago and it wasn't started by the athletes. This is a theme in our society of exploiting the worker though, just to cry foul when they dare to speak up about being fairly compensated.

The only reason these scholarships are looked at as any kind of compensation is because the cost of further education is ridiculous to begin with but that's a conversation for another day.
Exploiting the worker! LOL! The deal of playing a game for a scholarship has always been a great deal and always will be. If one is unhappy about the deal- they always had the opportunity to get a job, hang with the boys, go play ball overseas. Nobody got exploited. It was a free choice readily accepted.

Same goes in the workplace. Don't like working for the man? Go elsewhere. Don't want to work for anyone and be exploited? Great. Start your own business and see how that works out.

Exploiting the worker! LOL! The deal of playing a game for a scholarship has always been a great deal and always will be. If one is unhappy about the deal- they always had the opportunity to get a job, hang with the boys, go play ball overseas. Nobody got exploited. It was a free choice readily accepted.

Same goes in the workplace. Don't like working for the man? Go elsewhere. Don't want to work for anyone and be exploited? Great. Start your own business and see how that works out.
Before it wasn't just a free scholarship either! They formed major connections to land them good jobs after school if they needed too.

That is on the player though. I get that many college athletes waste the free education because they think they are going pro (even though a tiny fraction of them make it).

And the portal has only made this worse because now players are jumping around like crazy in their college career and you can bet academics are not a major factor in most of those decisions.

Any athlete that stays in school for 5+ years and doesn't come out of it with a degree that can help them in life after their playing days are done has no one to blame but themselves.

That is on the player though. I get that many college athletes waste the free education because they think they are going pro (even though a tiny fraction of them make it).

And the portal has only made this worse because now players are jumping around like crazy in their college career and you can bet academics are not a major factor in most of those decisions.

Any athlete that stays in school for 5+ years and doesn't come out of it with a degree that can help them in life after their playing days are done has no one to blame but themselves.
That doesn't mean some of them won;t have buyers remorse over the portal and try to blame the schools or the system for not getting an education.

That doesn't mean some of them won;t have buyers remorse over the portal and try to blame the schools or the system for not getting an education.
Yep....it's always someone else's fault.

Ah yes, the old, if you don’t like it, leave it argument. People do not have to leave their place of employment to ask for better conditions or compensation. I’m not sure why people embrace this train of thought, we don’t have to polish a turd particularly as profits sky rocket. Universities gave scholarships to fill arenas 50 years ago, this has since become a billion dollar industry, players receiving further compensation is natural progression.

With this thought process, people would still be working six day, 80 hour weeks. Be grateful those who came before you didn’t just accept whatever they were given.

Ah yes, the old, if you don’t like it, leave it argument. People do not have to leave their place of employment to ask for better conditions or compensation. I’m not sure why people embrace this train of thought, we don’t have to polish a turd particularly as profits sky rocket. Universities gave scholarships to fill arenas 50 years ago, this has since become a billion dollar industry, players receiving further compensation is natural progression.
And now a few of them will have it. Nobody was getting exploited before.
With this thought process, people would still be working six day, 80 hour weeks. Be grateful those who came before you didn’t just accept whatever they were given.
Nice straw man

Child labor - what was all the fuss about.

I was pretty apathetic about Battle going to OSU. Payne leaving for an in conference foe would be much worse and I'm sure he'd get razzed (rightfully so) when he came back to play at the Barn.
Much worse. Because we're set to be a good team now if everyone returns.

Top Bottom