PFF grades Gophers as highest graded offensive line in the country

This is awesome and should absolutely be celebrated, but it also highlights our offense’s issues. 5/11 of our offense has been graded the best in the country, yet we still have the issues we have seen this season.

This is awesome and should absolutely be celebrated, but it also highlights our offense’s issues. 5/11 of our offense has been graded the best in the country, yet we still have the issues we have seen this season.
It's chicken or the egg but if we had passed more we likely wouldn't be #1.

More prof that the OC or whoever is calling the plays sucks!!
How is that proof of that? If the line was doing worse would it be proof he is doing a good job?

I would say they haven’t done a good job…but this made up statistic by PFF isn’t proof of it.

An our own line coach would likely grade our o line with a different grade than PFF as PFF does Not even know the given assignment on any play.

always take PFF grades with a grain of salt. Without knowing the game plan, the play call, the in game adjustments…a guy could make a great block that wasn’t his assignment (A for PFF, F for team) on the same play another guy could block nobody because someone else messed up his assignment (F for PFF, not an A for his team but not really his fault).

I’m sure PFF is somewhat accurate but it is definitely not 100% accurate.

I find this almost impossible to believe.
I am assuming they didn’t rank high in losing to Bowling Green and Illinois.
Also, if our HC agreed with the ranks, he might not have been so quick to kick a FG from the 2 to take the lead against a team we hadn’t had a lead in the previous 250+ minutes.

Yes, it only makes the Iowa loss more depressing (not to mention the two surprising losses).

FWIW, Iowa is the 124th rated offense overall out of 130, statistically. Clearly, the PFF grades are not correlated with actual team success in moving down the field.

I want to know who has the best OL on 3rd and 4th down.

FWIW, Iowa is the 124th rated offense overall out of 130, statistically. Clearly, the PFF grades are not correlated with actual team success in moving down the field.
I don’t know for sure but I think it is because they have the best center in the country—and probably has a rating close to 95 or higher. That’s helps their average in a big way—and makes up for a lot of the rest of their line—which is very young and not very good.

I find this almost impossible to believe.
I am assuming they didn’t rank high in losing to Bowling Green and Illinois.
Also, if our HC agreed with the ranks, he might not have been so quick to kick a FG from the 2 to take the lead against a team we hadn’t had a lead in the previous 250+ minutes.
Yeah. PFF does some good things, but it is impossible to grade player performance by watching plays in a vacuum and not knowing what each players assigned task was on each play. It’s a bit flawed in methodology.

you can learn something from it, basically who is being physical. BUT

“Football is 80% mental and 40% physical “

-little giants

Any metric that ranks Iowa's OL better than 12th in the B1G conference is very flawed. It's their worst OL since 2000

This is one of the more frustrating things about this year. I had high hopes that with the experience on the OL this would allow the offense to really open it up and be dominant. They (the OL) have played well enough for great things to happen but unfortunately our passing game has totally pulled this team down and made for a very disappointing season based on my expectations.

Any metric that ranks Iowa's OL better than 12th in the B1G conference is very flawed. It's their worst OL since 2000
I agree with you 100%. I have a brother that lives in Des Moines and he claims their O-line issues are because they start a true freshman//a red shirt freshman/ a sophomore /a junior/ and only one senior (who might come back next year. I obviously don’t like talking to him about football—especially after last weekend

That metric does not use the MN SOS of 57 as a variable.
That makes the ranking suspect.

Top Bottom