PFF: 2021 College Football Preseason QB Rankings: All 130 FBS starters (#36. Tanner Morgan, Minnesota)

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per PFF:

36. MINNESOTA: TANNER MORGAN

Morgan is bound to bounce back in 2021 after producing a middling 69.2 passing grade in 2020. Last season proved that his 2019 campaign, in which he was one of the 10 highest-graded passers in the country (89.1), was more about Minnesota's RPO-heavy system and the instability of performance under pressure.

Morgan may not be a quarterback who can carry a team on his back, but he has the accuracy and can make the anticipatory throws needed to succeed at the position. He still needs to limit how often he gives the defense opportunities to make a play on the ball.

Go Gophers!!

Seems a bit low but I won't act like I can do an accurate analysis of all the other guys ahead of him.

Hard to compare spread run, vs air raid, vs traditional QBs

Seems a bit low but I won't act like I can do an accurate analysis of all the other guys ahead of him.
I'd take him over Jack Coan.

Mertz is rated above him too, which is based on potential IMO.

Former gopher commit Brennan Armstrong is top 20

Mertz is rated above him too, which is based on potential IMO.

Take out the Illinois game (highest completion %) and Mertz was:
57% completion
.67 td's/game
.83 int's/game
165 yards/game

Take out Tanner vs Purdue (highest completion %) and Morgan was:
.57% completion
1.147 td's/game
.83 int's/game
185 yards/game

I don't know what to make of this, other than I thought is was interesting.

Definitely seems a little low. With the offensive line back to full strength....Morgan should bounce back this year.

Take out the Illinois game (highest completion %) and Mertz was:
57% completion
.67 td's/game
.83 int's/game
165 yards/game

Take out Tanner vs Purdue (highest completion %) and Morgan was:
.57% completion
1.147 td's/game
.83 int's/game
185 yards/game

I don't know what to make of this, other than I thought is was interesting.
I think we might be on the same page - It's fun to do but you can't start eliminating some games and still have an accurate evaluation.

My opinion is after last year that ranking is pretty close - maybe a few spots low. Even at 36, way better than our previous QB's.

Of course, it's hard to make an apples-to-apples comparison, because different teams ask their QB's to do different things. One team may need its QB to put up big # in order to win. another team just wants the QB to be more of a game manager - make the basic throws, but don't risk any turnovers.

the only way to do a true comparison would be to switch QB's - put Mertz with the Gopher offense and put Morgan with the WI offense. which is course is impossible - unless maybe in a video game.....

Top Bottom