Per ESPN: Michigan self-imposes 3-game ban for Jim Harbaugh

Tully55

Reaction score
East Carolina, UNLV, and Bowling Green
Harbaugh will be allowed to coach during the week but will be barred from coaching those first three Saturday games, a source told ESPN

Hardly a penalty but it’s not like he really did anything that bad anyway.

Hardly a penalty but it’s not like he really did anything that bad anyway.
I caught a little of this on XM a few weeks ago. The covid no contact was one thing but lying/being evasive with an investigation is a completely different thing and can get you on hot water.

I caught a little of this on XM a few weeks ago. The covid no contact was one thing but lying/being evasive with an investigation is a completely different thing and can get you on hot water.
I would agree with that. You can’t lie about it.

It is a joke. If it was the Gophers, the ban would be on conference games. The haves and the have-nots are treated differently.

Last edited:

It is a joke. If it was the Gophers, the ban would be on conference games. The haves and the have-not are treated differently.
It would be a breaking news story 30 minutes before the Michigan game based on reports from "anonymous sources". PJ pulled off the field. Everyone speculates and panics for 2 weeks until the Monday after the Iowa game when Fleck returns to practice.

NCAA dithers until the morning of the Ohio State game where they announce a 4 game suspension for Operating an Illegal Bank within the football program, suspending Fleck for OSU, Wisconsin, the Big Ten Championship the Gophers made anyway, and the Rose Bowl.

On Easter Sunday, 2024 they find the long lost Fleck Bank charter and send an apology letter. ESPN issues a retraction between innings of a mid-week April Padres game after midnight.

Failure to cooperate or lying to the NCAA investigators makes a less serious offense a very significant one.
Remember a famed OHST coach took the jump for lying about trivial matter.
Harbaugh has always acted as if the rules that govern poor mortals do not apply to him.

If people read about it, this is standard. The school self-imposes and then the NCAA puts down a larger ruling. It will probably end up being 4-5 games.

If people read about it, this is standard. The school self-imposes and then the NCAA puts down a larger ruling. It will probably end up being 4-5 games.
Looks like Michigan is trying to dance around this as this ncaa ruling won't come til 2024.

3 game ban this year avoids conference games.

Tack on 2 more next year and still avoids conference games (assuming, haven't looked at their schedule ).

Versus 5 next year, which would definitely impact conference play.

Hopefully the ncaa sees through this as it's so transparent.

Looks like Michigan is trying to dance around this as this ncaa ruling won't come til 2024.

3 game ban this year avoids conference games.

Tack on 2 more next year and still avoids conference games (assuming, haven't looked at their schedule ).

Versus 5 next year, which would definitely impact conference play.

Hopefully the ncaa sees through this as it's so transparent.
I think you are on the right track. He serves three games this year, missing non-conference patsies. (Yeah, I know, Bowling Green yada, yada, yada.) If the NCAA tacks on a game next year to make it a four game suspension, he misses a home game against Fresno State. The second game in 2024? A home game against Texas. I think this self-imposed suspension is geared toward trying to increase the chance that he's available for that one.

Top Bottom