"People forget it's only year 2." Interview with Trevor Mbakwe

I/we can see what Coach Johnson is trying to do to build the team. This last recruiting season and now Christie next year are attempting to fill the SQ/wing spots that are not present yet. That is a rebuild process. The previous acquisitions/bets at forward should be assumed to be more than expected. So four years makes sense.

The far more serious situation is over on the women's basketball side where that coach has little to show in now the fifth year except a lot of questionable stuff -- and I say heat seat should go to the AD Coyle:

She had zero head coaching experience. She had zero even assistant coaching experience. OK, she's one of the greatest point guard players ever and initially brought image gravitas when hired. That appears to be gone and now we have questionable stuff.

In 5 years zero NCAA Tournament appearances. The year before she arrived was the last year the Gophers made the NCAA Tournament. Gophers also have zero success in NIT tournament meaning only made that twice and eliminated in the 2nd round each time of the NIT. Other three years no tournament appearance at all.

Both last year and this year lost to nobody schools including NDSU this season and Jacksonville last season. Gophers had better talent. How does the Big Ten lose to those kinds of teams two years in a row?

So many questionable game coaching decisions this year. Gophers were winning against a bad Rutgers team with only 8 players and bungled that away including a 5' 5" point guard assigned to guard a 6' 0" wing, the best player, who feasted on the Gophers. For context. Iowa just set a program record for most points against Rutgers in a 54 point route of Rutgers.

Lost twice to a bad Wisconsin team after leading both. That's the story over and over.

On and on with questionable stuff this season.

Game was tied against Ilinois. Illinois media said Gophers Braun was giving their defense the biggest problem. Gophers coach sits Braun down at around 6 and a half minutes. The announcers on Big Ten + are saying, "I just don't understand this coaching decision by Whalen to put Braun on the bench." And again, "Where is Mara Braun?" When she did come in at I believe under a minute she went 2 of 2 on free throws.

Gophers just one a game this week with 28 points from Braun and apparently one of the players that cannot shoot helped coach the win by at the end asking to be taken out and Gradwell put in who then made the winning bucket after the other team double or triple teamed Braun leaving Gradwell open. Had it been for the coach.

Five years now for of that coach with zero assistant or head coaching experience.

And last year a huge numbers of players left via the transfer portal leaving only 3 players.

And before that Big Ten freshman of the year Destiny Pitts left after she was "shocked and blindsided" by the coach suspending her. Two of her teammates sat out a game in protest of the suspension. And then Pitts won the 6th (wo)man award and helped Texas A&M go deep into the NCAA Tournament.

Program appears to be impaired both picking up good transfer players and now current recruiting.

-----------------

How this relates to men's basketball:

OK, so CBJ gets his time to show what he can do. How long does that go on? Five years?

Everyone knows me to be the loyalist but also to a point. CBJ needs time to put it together but Minnesota just is not the fanbase and program to tolerate many years of nothing.

Pay attention to the women's side to see what Coyle does there. Yet another extension?
She is our Patrick Ewing… Ben is nothing except a bad college player / low level assistant who should’ve never gotten the job. Much harder to fire a Patrick Ewing than a bad college player. And let’s not forget, it’s women’s basketball, so it’s not a real money maker…doesn’t move the needle…(there may be tens of thousands of fans in the state in total)…compared to hundreds of thousands for the men’s program.

Head case?
That’s an old school term you don’t hear much to describe mental illness nowadays.

I guess I'm an old school sort of guy in many ways. As a child of a manic depressive with a real vindictive streak, I learned at a young age to avoid crazy people. They are more likely to debilitate you than you are to help them. Sure, get them treatment, but that is best handled by professionals.

She is our Patrick Ewing… Ben is nothing except a bad college player / low level assistant who should’ve never gotten the job. Much harder to fire a Patrick Ewing than a bad college player. And let’s not forget, it’s women’s basketball, so it’s not a real money maker…doesn’t move the needle…(there may be tens of thousands of fans in the state in total)…compared to hundreds of thousands for the men’s program.

The only thing I would disagree with in that post is calling Ben Johnson a "bad" college player. I'd say he was probably slightly better than fair. If the senior level Johnson was on this team, he would be our best free throw shooter and possibly our best overall shooter. He had a better college career than a number of truly bad and weak players who passed through this roster over the last 10 years.

If you valued accuracy more than bluster, you would be a better poster.

I/we can see what Coach Johnson is trying to do to build the team. This last recruiting season and now Christie next year are attempting to fill the SQ/wing spots that are not present yet. That is a rebuild process. The previous acquisitions/bets at forward should be assumed to be more than expected. So four years makes sense.

The far more serious situation is over on the women's basketball side where that coach has little to show in now the fifth year except a lot of questionable stuff -- and I say heat seat should go to the AD Coyle:

She had zero head coaching experience. She had zero even assistant coaching experience. OK, she's one of the greatest point guard players ever and initially brought image gravitas when hired. That appears to be gone and now we have questionable stuff.

In 5 years zero NCAA Tournament appearances. The year before she arrived was the last year the Gophers made the NCAA Tournament. Gophers also have zero success in NIT tournament meaning only made that twice and eliminated in the 2nd round each time of the NIT. Other three years no tournament appearance at all.

Both last year and this year lost to nobody schools including NDSU this season and Jacksonville last season. Gophers had better talent. How does the Big Ten lose to those kinds of teams two years in a row?

So many questionable game coaching decisions this year. Gophers were winning against a bad Rutgers team with only 8 players and bungled that away including a 5' 5" point guard assigned to guard a 6' 0" wing, the best player, who feasted on the Gophers. For context. Iowa just set a program record for most points against Rutgers in a 54 point route of Rutgers.

Lost twice to a bad Wisconsin team after leading both. That's the story over and over.

On and on with questionable stuff this season.

Game was tied against Ilinois. Illinois media said Gophers Braun was giving their defense the biggest problem. Gophers coach sits Braun down at around 6 and a half minutes. The announcers on Big Ten + are saying, "I just don't understand this coaching decision by Whalen to put Braun on the bench." And again, "Where is Mara Braun?" When she did come in at I believe under a minute she went 2 of 2 on free throws.

Gophers just one a game this week with 28 points from Braun and apparently one of the players that cannot shoot helped coach the win by at the end asking to be taken out and Gradwell put in who then made the winning bucket after the other team double or triple teamed Braun leaving Gradwell open. Had it been for the coach.

Five years now for of that coach with zero assistant or head coaching experience.

And last year a huge numbers of players left via the transfer portal leaving only 3 players.

And before that Big Ten freshman of the year Destiny Pitts left after she was "shocked and blindsided" by the coach suspending her. Two of her teammates sat out a game in protest of the suspension. And then Pitts won the 6th (wo)man award and helped Texas A&M go deep into the NCAA Tournament.

Program appears to be impaired both picking up good transfer players and now current recruiting.

-----------------

How this relates to men's basketball:

OK, so CBJ gets his time to show what he can do. How long does that go on? Five years?

Everyone knows me to be the loyalist but also to a point. CBJ needs time to put it together but Minnesota just is not the fanbase and program to tolerate many years of nothing.

Pay attention to the women's side to see what Coyle does there. Yet another extension?
If only there was a Gopher womens board to discuss this on..

The only thing I would disagree with in that post is calling Ben Johnson a "bad" college player. I'd say he was probably slightly better than fair. If the senior level Johnson was on this team, he would be our best free throw shooter and possibly our best overall shooter. He had a better college career than a number of truly bad and weak players who passed through this roster over the last 10 years.

He’s average at best (and when he posted his best numbers as a sr…they were 3-13 in conference…so empty stats on a garbage team).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ben-johnson-2.html

Bad and average are essentially the same thing.

I dunno. I think if the Gophers kept him he would have contributed more needless drama.

I wasn't a Gopher fan when the Royce White situation happened (I heard about it at the time but didn't particularly care) but I am familiar with some of his basketball career after that. From the time he left Minnesota until his apparent last year of playing in 2018, he had exactly three successful seasons: one at Iowa State and two seasons in the Canadian Basketball League at the end of his career. He was a first round NBA pick after his one season with IA State and didn't manage to play for Houston past the preseason of his only year there. After that, Sam Hinkie of the Sixers picked him up as part of his "losing is good!" reclamation project and the same thing happened there. He played 20 games in the G League but was only fair there. His problems at Houston and Philadelphia seemed much more related to behavioral and mental issues than ability to play.

The guy appears to have been a head case through most of this life and that quality seemed to overtake whatever promise he had in most environments.
He also got kicked out of DeLaSalle in HS too.

He’s average at best (and when he posted his best numbers as a sr…they were 3-13 in conference…so empty stats on a garbage team).

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/ben-johnson-2.html

Bad and average are essentially the same thing.
This is where you are just ridiculous sometimes. Being average at a P6 D1 basketball is not bad. It’s actually closer to being good. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be “average” at that level? Did you happen to see if Ben was a good defender too?

This is where you are just ridiculous sometimes. Being average at a P6 D1 basketball is not bad. It’s actually closer to being good. Do you have any idea how hard it is to be “average” at that level? Did you happen to see if Ben was a good defender too?
He’ll never admit bro a mistake or being incorrect; he’ll simply say agree to disagree

He’ll never admit bro a mistake or being incorrect; he’ll simply say agree to disagree
he was at best an average B10 player. His stats were ok…and they were on one of the worst gophers teams ever…empty calorie stats.

It’s not my fault you guys take everything literal all the time. I’m not comparing Ben to players at MIAC school or low level D1…I’m comparing him to P6 basketball players. Lots of players could’ve done what he did on…again a team that went 3-13 in conference. So yeah, he wasn’t that good. He was average at best.

Maybe he could’ve went to Detroit mercy and average 16.5 points, 5 assists, 6.5 Rebs … but that is lower level of basketball

Yes, we all went to college. I find that whole assertion condescending.
You should be happy with condescending. Me...I'd tell you guys directly that you don't know your heads from your behinds when it comes to college basketball. And you have the mentality of petulant children. And some of you have been outed, obviously, as fans of other teams.

he was at best an average B10 player. His stats were ok…and they were on one of the worst gophers teams ever…empty calorie stats.

It’s not my fault you guys take everything literal all the time.
On behalf of myself and the board, please allow us to sincerely apologize for not being able to decipher when you are being literal vs. figurative - our bad, not average.

Silly us, we read your posts as written.
Sarcasm or hyperbole can sometimes help differentiate between them; the apology above is an example of sarcasm.

We will try and raise our standards from “bad” to “average” to keep up with your transcendent basketball knowledge - this is an ode to both of them Soggy.
I’m not comparing Ben to players at MIAC school or low level D1…I’m comparing him to P6 basketball players. Lots of players could’ve done what he did on…again a team that went 3-13 in conference. So yeah, he wasn’t that good. He was average at best.

Maybe he could’ve went to Detroit mercy and average 16.5 points, 5 assists, 6.5 Rebs … but that is lower level of basketball

On behalf of myself and the board, please allow us to sincerely apologize for not being able to decipher when you are being literal vs. figurative - our bad, not average.

Silly us, we read your posts as written.
Sarcasm or hyperbole can sometimes help differentiate between them; the apology above is an example of sarcasm.

We will try and raise our standards from “bad” to “average” to keep up with your transcendent basketball knowledge - this is an ode to both of them Soggy.
Accepted

You should be happy with condescending. Me...I'd tell you guys directly that you don't know your heads from your behinds when it comes to college basketball. And you have the mentality of petulant children. And some of you have been outed, obviously, as fans of other teams.
Thank you for the welcome change of pace from Trevor's condescension.

Lol.

We are 1-13 in conference. Seems like not knowing heads from behinds when it comes to college basketball is contagious in and around this program.

I think most would agree that in comparison with his ability to run a major college basketball program, Ben's playing career is first ballot HOF worthy

Top Bottom