Penn State (yikes!)

SelectionSunday

Reaction score
PSU falls to the 7th-place game at the Charleston Classic after a 63-60 loss to Tulane. Battle has another rough shooting night (3 of 13). Nitts aren't exactly building off the momentum of their NIT championship.

Also of note, DePaul surprises Missouri Valley favorite UNI 60-52 in the quarterfinals of the Paradise Jam.

Shouldn't they have learned to not play in these tournaments after last year?

With the horsecrap nonconference home schedules a lion's share of the major-conference teams play, they almost have to play in these neutral-sites tournaments. For a lot of 'em (Gophers included) because of the p*ss-poor quality of their (home) opponents, it's about the only chance they'll have to pick up a couple quality wins. This tourney definitely is not working out so well for PSU.

I hope the 76 Classic yields the Gophers better results. ... some combination of at least a couple wins vs. Butler, UCLA, Clemson, Texas A&M, West Virginia. Minus any wins they get in Anaheim, the Gophers likely won't have much to point to prior to the Big 10 season.

With the horsecrap nonconference home schedules a lion's share of the major-conference teams play, they almost have to play in these neutral-sites tournaments. For a lot of 'em (Gophers included) because of the p*ss-poor quality of their (home) opponents, it's about the only chance they'll have to pick up a couple quality wins. This tourney definitely is not working out so well for PSU.

I hope the 76 Classic yields the Gophers better results. ... some combination of at least a couple wins vs. Butler, UCLA, Clemson, Texas A&M, West Virginia. Minus any wins they get in Anaheim, the Gophers likely won't have much to point to prior to the Big 10 season.

Basically true, but I think Miami is going to better them most people expect.

I'm lumping Miami with the 76 Classic in terms of quality. We're in our key 4-game stretch right now. Gotta' come away with a minimum of 2 Ws (excluding LBSU if we play them), 3 or 4 would be great.

SS, what do you think you're doing talking about teams here besides the Golden Gophers? Couldn't you rehash another post about Royce White, Trevor Mbawke, or Cory Joseph? :cool02:

It seems that the bottom of the Big Ten is going to be softer than originally anticipated-Iowa could be historically bad, Indiana's still climbing out of the K. Sampson dung pile, Northwestern will struggle without Coble, and Penn State appears to be struggling with the Talor Battle show without supporting actors Pringle and Cornley. Even if they were long shot hopes, Northwestern and Penn St. entered the season with NCAA aspirations-we're not at Thanksgiving and those hopes seem to be dashed.

Top Bottom