Penn State is 7-6 All-Time in White Out games

6-9 is pretty damn good for us considering PSU has been a helmet school forever; and we've been well a Minnesota Sports team

Also, we should be 8-7 if not for a horrible PI call and late game fumble

6-9 is pretty damn good for us considering PSU has been a helmet school forever; and we've been well a Minnesota Sports team

Agree...Gophs definitely have a resonable chance to win. Just need the good offense to show up...

Agree...Gophs definitely have a resonable chance to win. Just need the good offense to show up...
For whatever reason we seem to do well against Penn State. In the 16 matchups that have been played to date there are only 3 where the victory margin was 20 points or more. Lots of very close games in the series.

You beat me to it. It should be 7-8 if not for being screwed by the PI call in 2006.

The Gophers scored in OT but missed the extra point, so that was self inflicted and would have pushed the game to a second OT.

But the phantom PI was the win or lose moment and the refs handed the bad call, and ultimately the game to PSU.

From the ESPN story:

“The Gophers still appeared to be in good shape with Penn State
facing a fourth-and-9 from the 24. But Trumaine Banks was called
for pass interference for what appeared to be a clean breakup of
Anthony Morelli's throw to Deon Butler, giving the Lions a first
down at the 12.”

As a side note, I found myself lined up at one of the famous Metrodome urinal troughs with Anthony Morelli’s dad at one point. He asked me a few questions and identified who he was as we were exiting the bathroom. Nice guy.

Last edited:

You beat me to it. It should be 7-8 if not for being screwed by the PI call in 2006.

The Gophers scored in OT but missed the extra point, so that was self inflicted and would have pushed the game to a second OT.

But the phantom PI was the win or lose moment and the refs handed the bad call, and ultimately the game to PSU.

From the ESPN story:

“The Gophers still appeared to be in good shape with Penn State
facing a fourth-and-9 from the 24. But Trumaine Banks was called
for pass interference for what appeared to be a clean breakup of
Anthony Morelli's throw to Deon Butler, giving the Lions a first
down at the 12.”

As a side note, I found myself lined up at one of the famous Metrodome urinal troughs with Anthony Morelli’s dad at one point. He asked me a few questions and identified who he was as we were exiting the bathroom. Nice guy.
For those that forgot, or never saw it here it is at the 24:40 mark. Total BS.

For those that forgot, or never saw it here it is at the 24:40 mark. Total BS.

Yeah, that was a horrible call. If I remember correctly there was a really controversial call that went against us in the 1997 game we ended up losing 16-15 as well.

Top Bottom