Penn State Game Time Announced

This one I agree with, we should take sunshine and let Penn State sit in shade. This and home fans can give Penn State crap all game.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Shade, sun, makes no difference to the outcome but changing you routine is a factor. This is a stupid idea to change sides and have the team thinking about it. It is a distraction for us and a haha moment for them.

GameDay going to Memphis vs SMU this weekend over UGA-Florida.

Apparently UGA-Florida isn't considered a good Gameday location in Jacksonville, since everyone is more concerned about partying at WLOCP over attending the Gameday taping.

Last year vs Northwestern, the NW side was warm and toasty.
MN side was cold. We had WR's dropping passes from being cold.

Most fans moved to the warm side as well. Warm side looked closer to full at the NW game. The home side in the shade was sparce.

Now is the time to start taking advantage of warm sidelines and the team can get used to that routine.

Apparently UGA-Florida isn't considered a good Gameday location in Jacksonville, since everyone is more concerned about partying at WLOCP over attending the Gameday taping.

Would think the SEC in general. They've had GameDay probably well over 100+ times. Not a new thing for them.

But go to Brookings, SD, and people literally poop their pants.

Last year vs Northwestern, the NW side was warm and toasty.
MN side was cold. We had WR's dropping passes from being cold.

Most fans moved to the warm side as well. Warm side looked closer to full at the NW game. The home side in the shade was sparce.

Now is the time to start taking advantage of warm sidelines and the team can get used to that routine.

Agree. Sun warmth is a significant factor.

Hope they choose to be in the warm side.

I think there's a strong chance MN gets Gameday for the Wisconsin game as long as they don't totally suck the next few games.

I really wish this were a 2:30 or 7:00 start rather than 11:00, but I'll live. It'll be a very early morning drive from Duluth to make it in time to have a good breakfast and walk around campus before the game.

Normally I despise 11 AM kickoffs, but don't mind it for this one. It'll be nice to have that national spotlight, and I can deal with one early start per season.

That tells the story. The U of MN doesn't think that fans will show up for a night game if the weather is not favorable.

That is what the U of MN thinks about its own fan base.

My thought was that there is no competitive advantage to having a night game as both teams are in the "shade", whereas at 11 we are able to be in the sun and our opponent is in the shade.

My thought was that there is no competitive advantage to having a night game as both teams are in the "shade", whereas at 11 we are able to be in the sun and our opponent is in the shade.

The biggest game of the season, in many seasons, and possibly since we last played in the Rose Bowl is not the time to start messing with things like which sideline we are on. Continuity is more important. It seems simple, but it's a different set up that could be disorienting in a way (our sideline and coaches in the booth would no longer be on the same side which could lead to communication and perspective issues). It also would mean our players and staff on the sideline would be looking directly into the midday sun if there's no cloud cover which is why the press box, suites, club seating, and Gopher sideline were put on the shady side in the first place. Just do what must be done to keep everyone warm and go about things as normal.

All this talk of sun vs shade ignores the decent possibility of a cloudy day.

The biggest game of the season, in many seasons, and possibly since we last played in the Rose Bowl is not the time to start messing with things like which sideline we are on. Continuity is more important. It seems simple, but it's a different set up that could be disorienting in a way (our sideline and coaches in the booth would no longer be on the same side which could lead to communication and perspective issues). It also would mean our players and staff on the sideline would be looking directly into the midday sun if there's no cloud cover which is why the press box, suites, club seating, and Gopher sideline were put on the shady side in the first place. Just do what must be done to keep everyone warm and go about things as normal.

Players don't care what side they're on from an orientation stand point. They play almost half their games on the road on different sidelines. Being on the sunny sideline on a cold day could be a benefit for the players though. It can get pretty darn chilly standing in the cold shade in thin work-out gear, thin or no gloves, and cold feet. Give them every edge possible.

I think there is a big assumption the sun will be out on November 9. November tends to be a cloudy month. When the stars align in the form of very cold air, full sun, there is no doubt the visitor sideline and visiting side spectator seating are better. Plus, we are getting beyond daylight savings ending so the needle has to be threaded even more: full sun, unseasonably cold, and 11:00 AM kickoff. If it is cloudy, precipitation, or even a 2:30 game - there really is not much of an advantage to being on the north side. The chances of having a full sun uncomfortably hot game in September or even October are easily as high or higher than having a super cold but full sun 11:00 AM game in November.

All that said, this is one of those games that has a potential to thread the needle. I believe they need to decide on the sideline nearly a week in advance so I could see situations where the North sideline is selected but on gameday it is cloudy - resulting in no advantage for the big move at all.

I think there is a big assumption the sun will be out on November 9. November tends to be a cloudy month. When the stars align in the form of very cold air, full sun, there is no doubt the visitor sideline and visiting side spectator seating are better. Plus, we are getting beyond daylight savings ending so the needle has to be threaded even more: full sun, unseasonably cold, and 11:00 AM kickoff. If it is cloudy, precipitation, or even a 2:30 game - there really is not much of an advantage to being on the north side. The chances of having a full sun uncomfortably hot game in September or even October are easily as high or higher than having a super cold but full sun 11:00 AM game in November.

All that said, this is one of those games that has a potential to thread the needle. I believe they need to decide on the sideline nearly a week in advance so I could see situations where the North sideline is selected but on gameday it is cloudy - resulting in no advantage for the big move at all.

Rather get a push if it’s cloudy than have PSU have any chance of getting an advantage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That starting time means that WI playing IA at home will know if MN has none or one loss before they play.

I am happy with this start time. Hoping 4 snow but early on looks like 30's n cloudy. My season tickets are behind the visitor bench so would selfishly love for them to switch sidelines but it's not looking like much of an advantage right now.

Minnesota will move to the north sideline for this one. If there is any chance of sun, it’s an advantage.

I want the weather to be terrible for this game.

Minnesota will move to the north sideline for this one. If there is any chance of sun, it’s an advantage.
Agreed.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Shade, sun, makes no difference to the outcome but changing you routine is a factor. This is a stupid idea to change sides and have the team thinking about it. It is a distraction for us and a haha moment for them.

I never played the game, but isn't the routine just to tell the QB/Defensive signal callers to look to the north for the play calls? Look to the side that does not have a Press Box.

Also the routine is already disrupted, first 11amer since Northwestern last year.

I want the weather to be terrible for this game.

No, you really don’t. I think the Gophers chances are best in a pass-heavy game. We’re probably not gonna line up and push the Nits around for 300+ on the ground in the rain

I think we are guaranteed game day with CBS having the other game.

Every LSU-Bama game is on CBS and they have gotten Gameday for that game every year but 2 since 2011. I looked it up last week and didn’t really expect it to be the case for every matchup but it is what it is.

November 5, 2011 - CBS. Gameday.

November 3, 2012 - CBS. Gameday.

November 9, 2013 - CBS. Gameday

2014 - No Gameday

November 7, 2015 - CBS. Gameday.

November 5, 2016 - CBS. Gameday.

2017 - No Gameday.

November 3, 2018 - CBS. Gameday.

All that to say, I actually think PJ’s sales pitch could work, but the 11am ABC announcement means nothing for our chances. They wouldn’t bat an eye at going to a CBS game.

Last edited:

That tells the story. The U of MN doesn't think that fans will show up for a night game if the weather is not favorable.

That is what the U of MN thinks about its own fan base.

Someone posted on the Penn St forum that Minnesota and ESPN called Penn St and asked to change it to a night game and Penn St said no. Then they posted the bylaws saying a game moved to night time had to be approved by the visiting team. Don't know if its true, but interesting.

Someone posted on the Penn St forum that Minnesota and ESPN called Penn St and asked to change it to a night game and Penn St said no. Then they posted the bylaws saying a game moved to night time had to be approved by the visiting team. Don't know if its true, but interesting.
A night game in November has to be approved by both teams. In general it is perceived a night game because of the atmosphere and the crowd favors the home team.
PSU failed to notice that at times neither is present at MN home games.

That not right. the game being move have to be approve by both teams. Also don't believe anything that penn state posteer said. He is so wrong.

That not right. the game being move have to be approve by both teams. Also don't believe anything that penn state posteer said. He is so wrong.

If Minnesota called PSU and asked them to change it wouldn’t that mean they had already signaled their approval?

Top Bottom