Penn St. Postgame thoughts. 1/15

When was the last time Psu had a good inside presence anyway?

Not saying this guy was great but I think the answer is 7 footer Calvin Booth - he was effective against the Gophers and actually had an NBA job for a spell.

Getting in a bit late but had to throw in. As I watched the Gophers decisively pass the ball against the zone defense, I was wondering where this team has been all year. Sure they should be able to beat the Nits on the road, but it was how they did it and what it looked like. They obviously knew what they were doing out there, which hasn't always been the case this year. It's not that they're running flex offense - it's that they look like they're running AN offense. Aside from a couple of lapses, the perimeter defense is looking OK.

Don't look now, but had they won the games we all agree were there for the winning, they'd be 4-2 and tied for third place in the conference. No guarantees, but if they can keep improving, this team has a fighting chance at accomplishing something this year.

When was the last time Psu had a good inside presence anyway?

Not saying this guy was great but I think the answer is 7 footer Calvin Booth - he was effective against the Gophers and actually had an NBA job for a spell.

They had that linebacker looking PF, Cromley or Cormlie or something like that. He played with Battle.

Andre/Chip have the quickness to not be overwhelmed, but they may be the two worst decision makers in the backcourt.

Going to beat the drum for Chip again; not clear on the hate for him. He has 1 turnover in 6 conference games and has played much more under control lately but for the bad stretch vs. Iowa

Going to beat the drum for Chip again; not clear on the hate for him. He has 1 turnover in 6 conference games and has played much more under control lately but for the bad stretch vs. Iowa

He shoots too much and scores too little.

He shoots too much and scores too little.

He's actually third on the team in points per minute played. I do think he needs to be more selective on shooting the three, however. He's shooting over 50% inside the arch.

Gopher's are third in Possessions Per Game in conference games just behind Ohio State and Indiana.

I think if you adjust for the fact that Minnesota played a double OT game their possessions per 40 min drops them behind Iowa and maybe also Penn State...

Bryce Jordan Center was a morgue last night. No atmosphere, the only time people got somewhat loud was when they booed during the second technical call.
EE had good minutes last night, but it's hard to tell how good the big men were because Penn State has no good post players. When was the last time Psu had a good inside presence anyway?

Jamelle Cornley was a stud recently and a couple of decent athletic seniors inside last year.

Didn't see the game, but it looks like a missed a good one. Unlike earlier Tubby editions, I think this is a team that may improve throughout the year as opposed to hitting a wall like some of his previous teams have. Here's hoping.

Key players getting injured and leaving would equal "hitting a wall". Otherwise, I don't see a trend. A couple years back a nice BTT run led to a tourney berth.

My quick analysis:
Freshman Joe Coleman turned into a solid Big Ten player right before our eyes. Impressive. The foul trouble caused much in part by the referees being foul-happy all game really affected the game, with Austin, Rodney, and Ralph all battling foul issues. Their replacements, for the most part, did a fine job, although Oto struggled last night. He plays with energy but is not particularly effective, yet, when he plays.

A couple of the traveling calls on Andre I thought were questionable. He struggled, but will be fine. Julian is our best ball handler, overall. He is not a "clutch" free throw shooter though! Joe Coleman IS. Coleman made the difference in this game, and arguably the switch of Mav to coming off the bench and giving Coleman more time has made the difference the past two games.

Eliason did fine coming in for Ralph. Ralph had some nice passes, but the amount of offensive boards PSU got was disturbing. I really don't see much boxing out being performed by this team, and I don't understand why. That desperately needs improvement. PSU is not a good rebounding team.

Frasier is by far PSU's best player and had a lot of points, but when it counted, the Gopher guards shut him down to win the game.

My quick analysis:
Freshman Joe Coleman turned into a solid Big Ten player right before our eyes. Impressive. The foul trouble caused much in part by the referees being foul-happy all game really affected the game, with Austin, Rodney, and Ralph all battling foul issues. Their replacements, for the most part, did a fine job, although Oto struggled last night. He plays with energy but is not particularly effective, yet, when he plays.

A couple of the traveling calls on Andre I thought were questionable. He struggled, but will be fine. Julian is our best ball handler, overall. He is not a "clutch" free throw shooter though! Joe Coleman IS. Coleman made the difference in this game, and arguably the switch of Mav to coming off the bench and giving Coleman more time has made the difference the past two games.

Eliason did fine coming in for Ralph. Ralph had some nice passes, but the amount of offensive boards PSU got was disturbing. I really don't see much boxing out being performed by this team, and I don't understand why. That desperately needs improvement. PSU is not a good rebounding team.

Frasier is by far PSU's best player and had a lot of points, but when it counted, the Gopher guards shut him down to win the game.

I told my daughter to watch Joe Coleman's free throw form closely and to emulate it. Beautiful fluid motion with no waste and no hitch, just the right amount from the legs. Then, when Rodney came up to shoot free throws, I told her to avert her eyes. Sorry, Rodney; I love you, man, but your form is bad, really bad.

Top Bottom