Penn St. fans pulling for the Gophers, for now

I saw two Big Ten power rankings earlier today. One was from a PSU fan page and the other was from a Michigan fan page. The PSU page picked the Gophers 5th and the Michigan page picked the Gophers 4th.

The Michigan page seems a bit of intrastate contempt. Michigan State has performed well and hasn't done anything since pre-season to fall behind us. The PSU page seems about right as the Gophers should get the top Western spot but haven't made a compelling case for jumping ahead of the Eastern's top four yet. They'll certainly have their chances in due time.

I think what they meant is Minnesota should win the west by 3 games.
9-0 conference where the 2nd place team in the conference will be 6-3 in conference.

I don't think Penn State needs to worry about Minnesota winning enough games to burnish their resume. If they just win their games they will go to the CFP for sure, just like Minnesota will.

No Big Ten team needs to give a hoot about their SOS as long as they win games.

Michigan, Michigan State and Minnesota have played nobody yet, so the rankings will start sorting out the next three weeks.

On a side note, Minnesota is at #15 in the Massey Ratings, one spot behind MSU at #14, then down the list from #3 OSU, #4 Michigan, and #5 Penn State (I think PSU is a bit overrated). Wisconsin dropped a whopping -31 spots from #10 to #41 (probably too much). Notre Dame dropped -38 to #47 (also too much).

I don't think Penn State needs to worry about Minnesota winning enough games to burnish their resume. If they just win their games they will go to the CFP for sure, just like Minnesota will.

No outright p5 conference champion with zero or one loss has ever been left out of the playoff EXCEPT 2018 Ohio state. They were left out for 3 unbeatens and a 1 loss big 12 champ.

That team had a 29 point loss to a 6-6 team

No outright p5 conference champion with zero or one loss has ever been left out of the playoff EXCEPT 2018 Ohio state. They were left out for 3 unbeatens and a 1 loss big 12 champ.

That team had a 29 point loss to a 6-6 team
OSU was rightfully left out that year. 1-loss Oklahoma had a great team that took Alabama to multiple overtimes.

OSU was rightfully left out that year. 1-loss Oklahoma had a great team that took Alabama to multiple overtimes.
Agreed

My point was p5 teams don’t really have to worry about SOS

Just win your conference with 1 or 0 losses and the rest takes care of itself

Case in point being Michigan State last year. MSU's schedule was doughboy soft early last year and they were still highly ranked in the CFP late in the year.

Top Bottom