Payton will not return

Reaction score
http://www.twincities.com/ci_12115978

Minnesota Gophers basketball: Kevin Payton won't return
By Marcus R. Fuller
[email protected]
Updated: 04/10/2009 12:33:25 PM CDT

University of Minnesota junior guard Kevin Payton decided to not return for his senior season, the Gophers announced today.

The Gophers also announced that junior forward Travis Busch would not return, but Busch had told the Pioneer Press earlier this week he was leaving because he wouldn't be offered a scholarship next school year.

The Gophers, who finished 22-11 this season, needed two scholarships to make room for their incoming class of Hopkins High School forward Royce White, Cooper High School wing Rodney Williams Jr., Bishop Montgomery High School (Torrance, Calif.) point guard Justin Cobbs and Miami Dade College forward Trevor Mbakwe.

"We are grateful for what Travis and Kevin brought to the University of Minnesota during their time on campus," Minnesota coach Tubby Smith said in a statement. "We are proud that both will leave the university with a degree and wish them the best of luck in their life after college."

Payton played in 67 games, had 17 starts and averaged 1.5 points, 1.7 assists, 1.5 rebounds and 13.9 minutes per game. But in 2008-09, he only played in nine games and was suspended for a month for academic reasons.

Busch, the 2005 Minnesota Mr. Basketball winner at Mounds View High School, played 50 career games in two seasons while averaging 2.6 points and 1.2 rebounds a game.

What would really suck, especially for Travis because he was a significant contributor, is if Williams ends up not qualifying. We'd be sitting there with an unused scholarship after all. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

What's really important to remember in my opinion is that both of these kids received a college degree from the University of Minnesota free of charge. The University upheld its commitment to both of these kids.

The University as well as Kevin and Travis can all hold their heads up high.

I didn't know that both Kevin and Travis had already earned their degrees. If that is so, good for them.

And regarding the Williams qualifying situation . . . I don't know the specifics, but if for some reason he didn't qualify, that scholarship would not go to waste. It would seem likely that Dawson would get it.

What would really suck, especially for Travis because he was a significant contributor, is if Williams ends up not qualifying. We'd be sitting there with an unused scholarship after all. Let's hope it doesn't come to that.

There were no surprise departures this past year - but the year before it wasn't til late summer or early fall that Bryce Webster and Brandon Smith left the team and I believe that is how Busch got a scholarship in the 1st place.

Top Bottom