Pay Pitino

He is locked up now through 2021. Let him win the Big 10 A COUPLE TIMES between now and then without any off court trouble by his players before we go throwing money around. He has done a great job this year but one 4th place conference finish is not going to push the regents into the elite level of college basketball compensation. Throw things, call me more names if you want but it is not good business in a department that bleeds money for one 11-7 conference record.

What do you want to pay him?

What do basketball coaches make? Looks like Beilein makes around $2 million/yr. I'd be fine with Pitino in that range. Does he deserve that? I don't know for sure. But if you pay him AND put a new buyout clause in there, I'd be cool with like an 4-year, $8 million dollar deal.

What do basketball coaches make? Looks like Beilein makes around $2 million/yr. I'd be fine with Pitino in that range. Does he deserve that? I don't know for sure. But if you pay him AND put a new buyout clause in there, I'd be cool with like an 4-year, $8 million dollar deal.

Beilein makes around 2.8 million. He should not get Beilein money.

Fran McCaffery makes $2 million, Greg Gard makes $2 million

Do you know what Richard Pitino makes?

A four-year deal will require an extension the minute he signs it.

I think Pitino makes around $1.5 million. A $500k raise is significant but not crazy, by any means.

This is like the Fleck deal. Pay him as the 6-8th highest paid coach in the league and see what happens. If that isn't enough to keep him, nothing probably is.

He is locked up now through 2021. Let him win the Big 10 A COUPLE TIMES between now and then without any off court trouble by his players before we go throwing money around. He has done a great job this year but one 4th place conference finish is not going to push the regents into the elite level of college basketball compensation. Throw things, call me more names if you want but it is not good business in a department that bleeds money for one 11-7 conference record.

For someone who claims to be in tune with the college coaching world you really don't know how contracts in college work! College coaches never get within 4 years of the end of their contracts. Otherwise it starts to hurt recruiting. We have only one more year to let it play out before we have to extend his contract or move on.

I don't think Pitino is driven monetarily. Sure he wants to be paid what the market says he should make but ultimately I think he's driven to win national championships. There probably are better opportunities out there than his current situation. But I am under the impression that Pitino desires a career similar to guys like Izzo, Bo Ryan, Jim Calhoun, Billy Donavon, Coach K, Jay Wright and Jim Boeheim who created a legacy at schools that prior to them stepping in lacked a prestigious tradition.

Wait, people want him to win MULTIPLE conference championships before getting extended/a raise? That is insane.

He is worth $2 million a year, they should extend him to 2025 increase his salary to 2 million with built in performance bonuses and raise his buyout to keep him from wandering.

I don't think Pitino is driven monetarily. Sure he wants to be paid what the market says he should make but ultimately I think he's driven to win national championships. There probably are better opportunities out there than his current situation. But I am under the impression that Pitino desires a career similar to guys like Izzo, Bo Ryan, Jim Calhoun, Billy Donavon, Coach K, Jay Wright and Jim Boeheim who created a legacy at schools that prior to them stepping in lacked a prestigious tradition.

Your overall point is sound, but Duke had four Final 4 appearances before Krzyzewski ever stepped on campus, MSU had a national championship and four Elite 8 appearances before Izzo, and Villanova had a national championship and nine Elite 8 appearances before Wright. Donovan, Calhoun and Boeheim are particularly good comps in that their schools hadn't achieved much before they took on the job and all stayed a long time in those positions.

Your overall point is sound, but Duke had four Final 4 appearances before Krzyzewski ever stepped on campus, MSU had a national championship and four Elite 8 appearances before Izzo, and Villanova had a national championship and nine Elite 8 appearances before Wright. Donovan, Calhoun and Boeheim are particularly good comps in that their schools hadn't achieved much before they took on the job and all stayed a long time in those positions.
Okay cross off Coach K, Izzo and Wright and replace them with Mark Few and Nolan Richardson.

Okay cross off Coach K, Izzo and Wright and replace them with Mark Few and Nolan Richardson.

Yeah, there are examples of guys being at programs for 30 years and winning a ton of games. Those guys also make a ton of money and that ensures they don't leave. Or helps at least.

I don't think Pitino needs to make $5 million but $2-2.3 million seems like the going rate for a coach.

Yeah, there are examples of guys being at programs for 30 years and winning a ton of games. Those guys also make a ton of money and that ensures they don't leave. Or helps at least.

I don't think Pitino needs to make $5 million but $2-2.3 million seems like the going rate for a coach.

yep- that's what he should and probably will get. If they don't, he will be gone in a year or two. As Coyle has said, you don't get good programs by turning coaches over every few years. Paying Pitino is small potatoes compared to the other investments they are putting into the program. The buildings - all 190 million worth- won't be worth beans if they don't have good coaches and a winning track record.

Personally I don't care how much NCAA coaches get paid, there's no salary cap and it's not coming out of my pocket. The only people affected with Pitino making a ton of money would be season ticket holders, who i'm sure wouldn't mind ponying up a little extra if it results in a consistent optimal Williams Arena environment.

I liked how in Pitino's interview after winning COTY he mentioned that Pitino SR asked for 6 tickets for PSU. JR asked why, you were just at the Michigan game and SR said because he enjoyed watching Gophers play at William's Arena so much...and probably wanted to scout as it's not out of the realm of possibility of a Minnesota/Louisville round of 32 or sweet 16 match up. But Rick did appear to be having a great time at the Michigan game. It's probably refreshing for him to just be a fan for once.

I believe he has 5 years left after this year. Extend it back out to 7 and bump his pay to the $2 million range. In exchange, the buyout if he leaves should be significant.

I know exactly how they work as my firm has handled them for 35 years. Further, you better get familiar with the precise language of his. It is about supply and demand. Let say NCST and Georgia decide that he is worth 3.5. The U IS NOT GOING TO MATCH THAT and highly doubtful anyone would offer it. What could be added is incentive payments based on performance. For example 50,000 for winning the Naismith, 100,000 for winning the conference, 50,000 for sweet 16, 100,000 for elite 8, 200,000 for final four, 500,000 for winning it all. Several coaches have done this and even then they all won the conference at least once. This gets done by large boosters, usually very high achievers themselves and something they get behind. UW HAS DONE THIS, UVA, GONZAGA, VILLANOVA AND ON AND ON.... I would contribute this way and remember the U ranks far down the list of athletic gifts. Check out the data... raising money for the athletic village has been slow and tedious. Other places have had little problem with those 25 to 50 million dollar gifts to build the Kohl Center, JPJ in Charlottsville and the facilties at KU, Missouri, UK, UNC. IT MAY be that for all the right reasons this community backs much larger social concerns than athletics...It has to be run like a business and the leadership above Pitino has done a very poor job. The regents from the point of Coyle forward will not rubber stamp anything. Fleck earned it by doing the impossible and winning big at W.Michigan and was in high demand as well as football has to make money to balance the budget. Again, you can put me down all you want, i already support the program and will continue to going forward. i supported Coach Pitino coming back this year and now he has earned two more but beyond that after one 4th place finish is bad business. What i offer is the model that has worked elsewhere and will continue to work. What example leads anyone to think he should be paid above several coaches in far greater demand that have accomplished far more and i am not counting the blue bloods.

I know exactly how they work as my firm has handled them for 35 years. Further, you better get familiar with the precise language of his. It is about supply and demand. Let say NCST and Georgia decide that he is worth 3.5. The U IS NOT GOING TO MATCH THAT and highly doubtful anyone would offer it. What could be added is incentive payments based on performance. For example 50,000 for winning the Naismith, 100,000 for winning the conference, 50,000 for sweet 16, 100,000 for elite 8, 200,000 for final four, 500,000 for winning it all. Several coaches have done this and even then they all won the conference at least once. This gets done by large boosters, usually very high achievers themselves and something they get behind. UW HAS DONE THIS, UVA, GONZAGA, VILLANOVA AND ON AND ON.... I would contribute this way and remember the U ranks far down the list of athletic gifts. Check out the data... raising money for the athletic village has been slow and tedious. Other places have had little problem with those 25 to 50 million dollar gifts to build the Kohl Center, JPJ in Charlottsville and the facilties at KU, Missouri, UK, UNC. IT MAY be that for all the right reasons this community backs much larger social concerns than athletics...It has to be run like a business and the leadership above Pitino has done a very poor job. The regents from the point of Coyle forward will not rubber stamp anything. Fleck earned it by doing the impossible and winning big at W.Michigan and was in high demand as well as football has to make money to balance the budget. Again, you can put me down all you want, i already support the program and will continue to going forward. i supported Coach Pitino coming back this year and now he has earned two more but beyond that after one 4th place finish is bad business. What i offer is the model that has worked elsewhere and will continue to work. What example leads anyone to think he should be paid above several coaches in far greater demand that have accomplished far more and i am not counting the blue bloods.

Herb Kohl only donated $25 million to build that POS generic arena. That is $10 million less than the largest donation to build TCF. Not to mention the $25 million Land O Lakes donated for the practice facility. Or the $15 million a private donor's estate gave. Or the countless other big donations. Don't give me this crap about how much better Wisconsin is.

I never argued that he should get 3.5 million... Not sure where you get off but you didn't address my issue with your post last page. That we can't wait beyond next year to extend Pitino. It is the timing issue that you completely ignore I am not going to try to argue prices cause I don't know what the BIG COY typically gets.

I assume you were referencing my post calling you out for not knowing how contracts work.(to be specific how contract extensions work with regards to recruiting and timing of remaining years)

Edit: I'm all for waiting 1 more year so MN can pass Wisc. in the standings (look at schedules and see MN was 1 win away from doing that this year) to pay Pitino

You really need to use paragraphs. This was hard to read, like someone talking for 5 minutes with one breath.

Beyond that, you just said a lot of nonsensical things with randomly CAPITALIZED letters and WORDS to emphasize a point but it WAS so LONG that no one really knows what you said.

Yeah, Minnesota would NEVER MATCH $3.5 million for a basketball coach. It's not like we're paying our football coach $3.5 million or anything. Oops.

I agree with your solution. I was very interested to read about the same decision that Nebraska had last summer. Im guessing they are pleased they didn't leap last year. Here's an excerpt,

"Athletic Director Shawn Eichorst told The World-Herald on Thursday he recently held a 1½-day retreat with the men’s basketball staff, and at the end decided not to offer Miles a one-year addition, which would have kept his deal at five years.

“In the end, we agreed that now wasn’t the time to really talk about the contract,” Eichorst said. “He’s got four years left. There is stability with that. His assistant coaches are all under multiple-year contracts.""

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

If I was a Husker fan I would probably want change, but they had excellent attendance this year which pleases the administration.

Yeah, Minnesota would NEVER MATCH $3.5 million for a basketball coach. It's not like we're paying our football coach $3.5 million or anything. Oops.

We will have to if we want any chance to keep him from running off to basketball utopia in Blacksburg or Baton Rouge am I right?

We will have to if we want any chance to keep him from running off to basketball utopia in Blacksburg or Baton Rouge am I right?

I didn't say that Pitino would leave for those jobs, not even that they are good jobs, let alone "utopia", just that they are better jobs. Nice job mischaracterizing, though.

The logic in this article is crazy. He basically says the coach with the best record should be COY. The COY should be based upon exceeding expectations and how much the coach gets out of his players.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This is why Dean Smith should have never won coach of the year!

Top Bottom