Paul Haynes has been promoted to co-defensive coordinator, Golden Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck announced Friday.

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per the U:

Haynes Named Co-Defensive Coordinator

Minnesota cornerbacks coach Paul Haynes has been promoted to co-defensive coordinator, Golden Gophers head coach P.J. Fleck announced Friday.

Haynes joined the University of Minnesota coaching staff in February 2020 and has been instrumental in the Gophers cornerbacks' contributions to a stout defense.

"Paul is a tremendous coach and is respected universally throughout college football," said Fleck. "He is one of the brightest defensive minds in the game and played a huge role in why our defense was able to execute at an extremely high level last season. But more importantly, Paul is an elite teacher of young men who cares about their academic, athletic, social and spiritual development. He also is a tremendous husband and father, and he makes our team and our coaching staff better every day on and off the field. I'm excited for him to have an elevated role in leading our program."

This past season, the Gophers ranked third in the nation in total defense at 278.8 yards per game (best since 1966, 225.1 yards per game), tied for sixth in the NCAA in scoring defense at 17.31 points per game (best since 1977, 15.5 points per game) and ranked eighth in the nation in rushing defense at 97.5 yards per game (best since 1962, 52.2 rushing yards per game).

Senior Coney Durr started all 13 games and finished fifth on the team with 40 tackles, adding 3.5 tackles for loss, 1.5 sacks, five pass breakups and a fumble recovery. Freshman Justin Walley made an instant impact in his first season as he was named to the 247Sports True Freshman All-American team and was PFF's highest graded true freshman cornerback. Walley played in all 13 games and started the final six of the season, making 29 tackles, breaking up seven passes, recovering two fumbles, forcing one fumble and recording one interception.

In his first year at Minnesota, Haynes mentored starters Benjamin St-Juste and Durr. St-Juste made 14 tackles and broke up three passes before being selected in the 2021 NFL Draft in the third round with the 74th overall pick by the Washington Football Team. Durr finished fourth on the team with 29 tackles and led the squad with five pass breakups. He also notched one interception and one tackle for loss.

Haynes was the head coach at Kent State from 2013-17 and also has defensive coordinator experience at Arkansas (2012) and Ohio State (2011). In addition, his coaching career has taken him to Michigan State (2018-2020), Ohio State (2005-10), Louisville (2002), Kent State (1999-2000), Northern Iowa (1997-98), Ferris State (1995-96) and Bowling Green (1994). He spent the 2001 season as a defensive quality control coach with the NFL's Jacksonville Jaguars.

Haynes has coached four first-team All-Americans and 16 NFL Draft picks, including two first-round selections, during his collegiate coaching career.

Coincidence that the Rutgers Secondary Coach is going to Georgia? Was Haynes potentially headed to Rutgers? Good to see him stick here in MN.

The answer to your friend's question depends on of Rossi then "chooses" to leave to be DC at what would seem to be at best a lateral school, "for no reason" when he was already employed in that position here. ;)

If the defense is bad then Starts playing better will we all assume that Rossi quit calling it and Haynes is instead?
Asking for my friend Mike
Is Rossi the man or are the position coaches the Men?

Serious question. I always like getting your takes on things. Do you think this bothers Rossi? What do you make of this?

Serious question. I always like getting your takes on things. Do you think this bothers Rossi? What do you make of this?
I'm thinking Rossi works well with Haynes and understands why all this was done. I'm sure Fleck made sure everyone was on board prior to doing this.

I think Rossi understands this is how you keep good coaches from leaving.

I have little doubt that Rossi was a part of the discussion before this was done. Rossi is still calling the defense, I don't think much will actually change in the day to day stuff.

I have little doubt that Rossi was a part of the discussion before this was done. Rossi is still calling the defense, I don't think much will actually change in the day to day stuff.
Agree. No way he wasn't in the know on this.

It could be a way to reward a valuable coach.

In general, a new title means more $. On the last "Pair & a Spare" podcast, the guys were discussing that the Gophers' assistant coaches, as a group, are among the lowest-paid in the B1G.

So other teams looking to poach a coach from MN are often offering them a raise, in addition to a new title or more responsibility.

Giving Haynes a title and more $ might help convince him to stay at MN instead of taking a job at another school. Of course, if another school offers him a HC job, that's a different story.

Top Bottom