Pat Fitz is in trouble - AD vote of confidence!

A_Slab_of_Bacon

Reaction score

The vote of confidence is the AD kiss of death.

I hope pat doesn't go out fishing with Al Neri anytime soon...

He fired a number of assistants yesterday. He can't blame anyone else going forward.

In all seriousness Pat was always my "coach's I'd be ok with us hiring" guys.

Even this year aside. I think Northwestern is a very difficult job and I really like Pat.

Maybe if it doesn't work out and Pat wants to work and we have a spot in any way that he would like ... we're a short flight from his home ...

In all seriousness Pat was always my "coach's I'd be ok with us hiring" guys.

Even this year aside. I think Northwestern is a very difficult job and I really like Pat.

Maybe if it doesn't work out and Pat wants to work and we have a spot in any way that he would like ... we're a short flight from his home ...
And, a while back, he and PJ met for lunch once. So...

He’s one hell of a coach. To win BiG a few times is impressive given the difficulties at that school with admissions. Not sure what they are expecting there? I get this year was way down but that’s an anomaly to a degree.

He’s one hell of a coach. To win BiG a few times is impressive given the difficulties at that school with admissions. Not sure what they are expecting there? I get this year was way down but that’s an anomaly to a degree.
They are probably expecting to win at least one game in America

Especially with FCS on the schedule.

You go 4-8 (1-8) it’s a lot different than 1-11.

This year was way down. But so was last year and 2019.
7-29 (3-24) in the last 3 full seasons.
Including Covid year and its still:
14-31 (9-25)
It’s brutal and there is a reason he is cleaning house. Worst power 5 team in football at the end of the year and on paper will be worse offensively next year.
They scored 9 or less in 6 of their 9 big ten games. The Iowa offense we all make fun of scored 9 or less in 1 big ten game. The Minnesota offense that is so frustrating scored 9 or less in 0 big ten games.

He has never won the B1G

I don't think anyone would dispute that Fitz has done a great job overall, but in 3 of his last 4 seasons they have won 3,3, and 1 game. Something is wrong in that program pretty clearly.

I don't think anyone would dispute that Fitz has done a great job overall, but in 3 of his last 4 seasons they have won 3,3, and 1 game. Something is wrong in that program pretty clearly.
Their facilities are becoming as good as they've ever been, as well. Bummer for them

Below is what is quietly putting coach Fitzgerald on the hot seat. That's a huge investment for 1-11 results.
220926_OverallBowl-New24x43-1.jpg

HZ5SJAIOBNCSZL6D3GESVHNIIM.jpg

NU-RWAC_Exterior-Against-Chicago-Skyline-scaled-e1585183910174.jpg

Below is what is quietly putting coach Fitzgerald on the hot seat. That's a huge investment for 1-11 results.
220926_OverallBowl-New24x43-1.jpg

HZ5SJAIOBNCSZL6D3GESVHNIIM.jpg

NU-RWAC_Exterior-Against-Chicago-Skyline-scaled-e1585183910174.jpg

I get why folks would feel they should do better.

But there's nothing about a new stadium that means you are better / should be and etc.

God knows we did NOT get better when TCF was built ....

Nebraska has thought they should just be better for a long time ... got worse because of it ...

Players there should be easier to coach because they are on average smarter.

I get why folks would feel they should do better.

But there's nothing about a new stadium that means you are better / should be and etc.

God knows we did NOT get better when TCF was built ....

Nebraska has thought they should just be better for a long time ... got worse because of it ...
We didn't get better because they decided on an open air stadium.

Coaches are hired to get fired. He's stinking rich, and has either a nice buyout or another year of good pay coming. He'll be fine. Northwestern will be bad.

It all works out.

Fitz is a tremendous coach, haven't looked into northwestern specifically but I know schools with high academic standards struggle in modern day college football because of the inability to use the transfer portal, look at Stanford now

Fitz is a tremendous coach, haven't looked into northwestern specifically but I know schools with high academic standards struggle in modern day college football because of the inability to use the transfer portal, look at Stanford now
He is a high paid position coach. Rewarded cuz he coaches in the sloppy sloppy sloppy big ten west.

Their recruiting classes have actually been pretty solid over the past few years, so I was a little surprised when they were so bad. Only thing I've noticed is that they used to have these wild free-wheeling offenses and they don't anymore. I can remember when Mike Kafka ran all over the Metrodome against the Gophers way back when in the game that the Gophers lost on a pick-six in the final minute. Kain Colter used to drive me nuts.

He has never won the B1G
I should have said the BiG West, but they win the overall BiG with Gary Barnett a while ago in 1995 and 1996 as well as Randy Walker in 2000. Granted, a long time ago but still a heck of a lot more recent than my beloved Gophers! I still think it’s impressive to win there that’s why I feel Coach Fleck can do it here. Now with the end of divisions it’s going to be a while I fear, but you never know!

YearDivisionCoachOpponentCG result
2018Big Ten – WestPat FitzgeraldOhio StateL 24–45
2020Big Ten – WestPat FitzgeraldOhio StateL 10–22

Their facilities are becoming as good as they've ever been, as well. Bummer for them
That's exactly why this is happening. The alumni who forked out the $$$ for those new facilities are not going to sit there and not push on the administration. Especially with all the new TV money that will be coming in.

Top Bottom