Pass Rush

gopherfield

Reaction score
I know we only had 9 sacks all of last year, but I really thought this area would improve (everyone a little older, stronger, faster, more experienced, etc), and we would get some sacks in the non-conf schedule. We have faced 76 pass attempts now from opposing QBs, and the only time we have touched the QB is on a blitz (just a few knock downs, and no sacks). After 76 pass attempts, your bound to get lucky once in awhile (OL guy falls down, trips a little, takes wrong assignment, we get there with the blitz, etc). The Pass rush (lack thereof) has remained the most concerning area to address IMO. I knew we weren't going to set any sack records this year, but it's getting really frustrating that this has been our most consistent aspect of the team.

I know we only had 9 sacks all of last year, but I really thought this area would improve (everyone a little older, stronger, faster, more experienced, etc), and we would get some sacks in the non-conf schedule. We have faced 76 pass attempts now from opposing QBs, and the only time we have touched the QB is on a blitz (just a few knock downs, and no sacks). After 76 pass attempts, your bound to get lucky once in awhile (OL guy falls down, trips a little, takes wrong assignment, we get there with the blitz, etc). The Pass rush (lack thereof) has remained the most concerning area to address IMO. I knew we weren't going to set any sack records this year, but it's getting really frustrating that this has been our most consistent aspect of the team.

I agree. We have gotten decent pressure on the QB, but we need to turn those into more sacks. That's the difference between a 15 yard gain and a first down and a 7 yard loss and a momentum swing. I, however, am more concerned with the bad secondary play we have had so far, but the two go hand-in-hand to an extent. Hopefully we'll see these two areas improve over the next few weeks.

I agree completely with the above...during yesterdays game I thought that we actually had decent pressure (granted mostly while blitzing) but eventually that pressure has to be sacks. But man-0-livin were people wide flippin open yesterday. Yikes...gotta get that fixed before Michigan for sure!

I would be the first to admit, I didn't watch every defensive snap from the defensive front. But my impression is we feature no twists, no overloads, no inside de rush. The front is starting from the same front every down. It is to easy to block. And when we add a linebacker like Rallis on a blitz he has to get there. We cannot stop the rush with 7, and there in lies the problem. Several times Royston either blew coverage or stepped up on play action leaving Vareen alone. Neither Vareen nor Stoudemier are shut down corners and need help over the top. Add to that no Beal nor Hill. I am most disappointed in the defensive effort.

Top Bottom