Part of the Tubby Tome

rrjackIII

Reaction score
I heard Tubby on one of his many shows or interviews lately talk about how he hates to lose.

In fact, he said he thinks he hates to lose more than he loves to win.

My advice to Tubby, if he chooses to take it, would be to change that viewpoint slightly. He should love winning more than he hates losing.

I think it would result in two or three more wins per season. Just a thought for the day.

I heard Tubby on one of his many shows or interviews lately talk about how he hates to lose.

In fact, he said he thinks he hates to lose more than he loves to win.

My advice to Tubby, if he chooses to take it, would be to change that viewpoint slightly. He should love winning more than he hates losing.

I think it would result in two or three more wins per season. Just a thought for the day.

Same thing. Hates To Lose = Loves To Win.

Many great coaches hated to lose. Adolph Rupp. Bobby Knight. Just to name two off the top of my head.

Same thing. Hates To Lose = Loves To Win.

One of the basic lessons I have learned in life is that you are more likely to succeed when you focus on what you are trying to achieve rather than focus on what you are trying to avoid.

Michael Jordan always said he hated to lose more than he loved to win.

Tubby's attitude has nothing to do with the close losses. The offense he has in place for this particular team is the reason.

Satchmo

respectfully,

how many angels can dance on the head of a pin?

Or, as Louis Armstrong said,

You say either and I say either, You say neither and I say neither
Either, either Neither, neither, Let's call the whole thing off.

You like potato and I like potahto, You like tomato and I like tomahto
Potato, potahto, Tomato, tomahto, Let's call the whole thing off

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Louis+Armstrong:Let's+Call+The+Whole+Thing+Off:514171:m731599

:cool:

Michael Jordan always said he hated to lose more than he loved to win.

Tubby's attitude has nothing to do with the close losses. The offense he has in place for this particular team is the reason.

Good example. MJ is one. Red Auerbach is another, ditto Bill Russell.

respectfully,

http://s0.ilike.com/play#Louis+Armstrong:Let's+Call+The+Whole+Thing+Off:514171:m731599

I always attributed that to Ella Fitzgerald.
It is certainly true that many great athletes were motivated by a hatred of losing. Nevertheless I shall stubbornly hold to my belief that attempting to achieve success is not exactly the same as attempting to avoid defeat. My best example is whitewater kayaking. Focusing your attention on a spot on the river where you want to go will bring far better results than trying to avoid the place you do not want to go even though they are the same place. Make sense?

respectfully,

It was actually Gershwin

Let's Call the Whole Thing Off

I also agree...when the team has the lead under 3 minutes to play they are way way to conservative. It's important to hold the ball and look for a good shot...but you don't hold the ball until the last few seconds on the shot clock and jack up an ill advised three...(Michigan State game). Tubby needs to stick with what works better...keep the guys who are playing well in longer... maybe only play 8 or 9 guys who truly have the drive to win the game...instead of playing everyone just because they're a scholarship player and deserve time... I am not bashing Tubby in any way... he knows way way more than I do, but changing his mentality on a few aspects of the game could earn us a few more wins.... sometimes being a more gutsy coach helps you chalk up a win or two in close games...opposed to being a conservative coach.

Roy and Sky

Roy,

I agree with your statement:

"Nevertheless I shall stubbornly hold to my belief that attempting to achieve success is not exactly the same as attempting to avoid defeat..."

But the original post said "he (Tubby) said he thinks he hates to lose more than he loves to win"

I don't neccesarily extrapolate Tubby's statement to yours.

Sky,

Apologies. You are correct.

Bad phraseology on my part.

I should have said "as Satchmo sang". Did not mean to infer Louis wrote it. I knew it was George and Ira from watching too many Astaire-Rogers movies, over and over and over again. ( Shall We Dance )

Thanks for the clarification.

:)

Many sports greats (and those in other fields too) are motivated by their failures rather than their successes.

I think it's really poor logic and really crude psychoanalysis to assume the Gophers would have more wins this season were Tubby to adopt some pseudo-positive mind-set that is more to your liking.

We(the fans) are not entitled to wins. we root for a team that competes with other teams and hopefully comes out on top. We had a program that was in tatters and has had trouble recruiting 5-star talent consistently. Somehow, the AD scored a Hall-of Fame bound coach who doesn't need anyone's advice about winning.

Yes this season has been turbulent and disappointing but you have to admit the very expectations that everyone has about this team and season were created by this demanding, remarkable coach.

I also agree...when the team has the lead under 3 minutes to play they are way way to conservative. It's important to hold the ball and look for a good shot...but you don't hold the ball until the last few seconds on the shot clock and jack up an ill advised three...(Michigan State game). Tubby needs to stick with what works better...keep the guys who are playing well in longer... maybe only play 8 or 9 guys who truly have the drive to win the game...instead of playing everyone just because they're a scholarship player and deserve time... I am not bashing Tubby in any way... he knows way way more than I do, but changing his mentality on a few aspects of the game could earn us a few more wins.... sometimes being a more gutsy coach helps you chalk up a win or two in close games...opposed to being a conservative coach.

The old "playing not to lose"
I bet we can't count the times we have seen a team with a lead
"let the air out" to early trying to avoid making mistakes and what usually happens ?
That's right, they end up losing. I am a believer in not messing with success.
You go with what got you the lead in the first place.
Of course there are times when you milk the clock VERY near the end but for the most
part I think you keep taking it to the other team.

Tubby needs to stick with what works better...keep the guys who are playing well in longer...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Agree 100%
You don't pull a hot hand because it's someones turn.
If you have a player scoring what do you gain by replacing him with someone else ?
If the replacement scores you have may no difference and if he doesn't; score you
have only hurt yourself. Of course I am not talking about switching players due to
one having better defensive skills if that's what you need at the moment.
AS mentioned in the other post
"don't mess with success"

Top Bottom