PA Guy

I was at the USC game and they seemed to show every interesting replay, controversial or not.

I was at the USC game also, and their PA announcer had a much lower key, classic style, sort of like the old Yankee Stadium voice of God guy.

Howerver, there was some annoying male cheerleader/ pep voice coming through a secondary speaker section by the student section and band though. That sucked during the first half and stopped later. I think the band was miked and it picked up this cheerleader "captain" person.

The USC band played a lot more than our band was allowed to and the advertising/ inane blathering on between the action was much less.

Our band played a lot more at the Iowa game last year than they played on Saturday, there is no doubt about that and someone should be held accountable for that.

Oh, and the new giant scoreboard on the West/closed site of the Coliseum had nothing but video on it at USC.

the PA guy for the only Boise State game I've ever been to (against Fresno State) was the same, irritating as hell (and the fans were totally obnoxious and rude).

I was at the USC game and they seemed to show every interesting replay, controversial or not.

At a Tennessee/Alabama game a couple years ago and Tenn showed a replay of a muffed punt close to 10 times while it was being reviewed.

Another interesting thing about that game is that they didn't give away a box of fricking snickers or have a pull up contest.

I was at the USC game also, and their PA announcer had a much lower key, classic style, sort of like the old Yankee Stadium voice of God guy.

Howerver, there was some annoying male cheerleader/ pep voice coming through a secondary speaker section by the student section and band though. That sucked during the first half and stopped later. I think the band was miked and it picked up this cheerleader "captain" person.

The USC band played a lot more than our band was allowed to and the advertising/ inane blathering on between the action was much less.

Our band played a lot more at the Iowa game last year than they played on Saturday, there is no doubt about that and someone should be held accountable for that.

Oh, and the new giant scoreboard on the West/closed site of the Coliseum had nothing but video on it at USC.

I thought everything other than the annoying guy who leading the student cheers was done right at USC. No ads, simple play calling, well done. They guy leading the cheers should have a special level of HELL reserved for him.

I like Jamie, but HATE the commercials. I hope BJM got lots of money for them or he's ruining the experience for everyone for nothing...

I have to admit that I laughed before the Miami kickoff where he said that Stoudermire, Bennett, and Olson are back deep for the kickoff. This was after Olson took the previous kick away from Stoudermire.

I listened extra closely today and still couldn't find anything to dislike about the PA announcing.

Actually, I thought the scripts for the other athletes they recognized at breaks went on too long. I'm sure that was his fault too, right?

I have to admit that I laughed before the Miami kickoff where he said that Stoudermire, Bennett, and Olson are back deep for the kickoff. This was after Olson took the previous kick away from Stoudermire.

That was pretty funny. Tommy now has three career KOR in three games, which is more that most OLs get in four years!

I thought I heard him say that but wasn't sure. Pretty funny.

Here is my advice to the people who don't like the commercials at the game. Talk to the people sitting next to you and you won't even notice PA guy. He will just be background noise to you. I can't think of even one time today when I was bothered by anything PA guy said. And he gave me a good laugh when he said Tommy Olson was back to receive the kickoff.

Here is my advice to the people who don't like the commercials at the game. Talk to the people sitting next to you and you won't even notice PA guy. He will just be background noise to you. I can't think of even one time today when I was bothered by anything PA guy said. And he gave me a good laugh when he said Tommy Olson was back to receive the kickoff.

Are you ever right?

I thought he was really bad Sat, (Miami game). That's a Golden Gopher TOUCHDOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN! Geez, that's hard to listen to.

For me, the beauty of college football in a large outdoor stadium is the spontaneous roar of the crowd after good plays, especially after touchdowns. Having a PA announcer scream TOUCHDOWWWWWWWWN into the microphone trying to come over the top of this beautiful sound, takes away from the experience. Just my humble opinion.

For me, the beauty of college football in a large outdoor stadium is the spontaneous roar of the crowd after good plays, especially after touchdowns. Having a PA announcer scream TOUCHDOWWWWWWWWN into the microphone trying to come over the top of this beautiful sound, takes away from the experience. Just my humble opinion.

Oh, no, you are totally wrong. You just need to practice not listening to him. It's really easy. Or you could bring earplugs to not listen. Look, get used to it, he's great. Some people totally like him at hockey so we just have to deal with him and try really hard to like him or tune him out. We have no choice.

Alright, I have to bite on this thread. The PA Guy is awful, just terrible, I cannot stand it. But, he's not alone. A lot has been said of the U marketing team and, although I am too lazy to get into specifics, I agree; I cannot imagine a more poorly marketed product.

For me, I have season tickets but live in Chicago. So the vast majority of games I watch on teevee. Gopher football comes off as gimmicky sometimes as the NFL and I can't stand the NFL.

The fact that the PA guy shrieks "touchdown" is as audible on the teevee as is the crowd cheering (I am reminded of that lamentable horn for Wilds goals). In college sports, why play music - you have a frickin marching band? I loved (that is to say, hated) this week when the PA guys gets all freaked (and the music starts playing) for a 3rd down at the end of the game when it was OBVIOUS TO EVERYONE that MOH would have to go for it on 4th, so the fact that it was 3rd down was meaningless.

The U needs to figure some things out. First thing for me would be to coordinate with the students. Game day atmosphere is driven by the fans NOT some idiot in the press box.

end of rant.

I thought he was really bad Sat, (Miami game). That's a Golden Gopher TOUCHDOWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWN! Geez, that's hard to listen to.

I on the other hand, can listen to that all day long!

So what are we saying here? Apparently it is ok for TV sports announcers to tell everyone in their viewing audience who are watching a closeup view of the action that the football, hockey, basketball, baseball, and soccer team just scored but it is not ok for a football PA to announce a score to a large percentage of the fans in the stands who do not have a close up view of the action and may not know if there was a TD. You guys (and gals) are just looking for something to be mad at because that is the kind people you are.

All I can say is that I watched the last two games on TV and the PA is so loud and obnoxious it irritated the hell out of me. From freaking TV!

Looking forward to the game on Saturday and watching it in person, but not looking forward to listening to all of these ads and his screeching.

So what are we saying here? Apparently it is ok for TV sports announcers to tell everyone in their viewing audience who are watching a closeup view of the action that the football, hockey, basketball, baseball, and soccer team just scored but it is not ok for a football PA to announce a score to a large percentage of the fans in the stands who do not have a close up view of the action and may not know if there was a TD. You guys (and gals) are just looking for something to be mad at because that is the kind people you are.
you don't know if there's a TD unless the PA guy yells it at you? How about the referee signalling TD? Or the cannon? Or the crowd?

You guys still pissing and moaning? One of these days you gonna have to lift up your skirt, grab your balls and say, "I'm not a pu$$y".

All I can say is that I watched the last two games on TV and the PA is so loud and obnoxious it irritated the hell out of me. From freaking TV!

Looking forward to the game on Saturday and watching it in person, but not looking forward to listening to all of these ads and his screeching.

You better not go. You are going to spend most the game being irritated as hell and making everyone around you miserable. How much do you want for your tickets?

you don't know if there's a TD unless the PA guy yells it at you? How about the referee signalling TD? Or the cannon? Or the crowd?

I prefer to hear it from PA guy. He does it exactly the way I like it.

You guys still pissing and moaning? One of these days you gonna have to lift up your skirt, grab your balls and say, "I'm not a pu$$y".

He is referring to you Section 2. I knew I had you figured out correctly.

I'm continually amazed at how people let little things bother them. If you think Jamie is a bad PA guy for being too emotional/dramatic, you've clearly never heard North Dakota's hockey PA guy.

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee'ssssssssssssssss yooooooooooouuuuuuuurrrrrrrr Fighting Sioux SCooooooooooooooooorrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggg!"

And that's NOT an exaggeration!

As for Mr. Verbrugge reminding people to get up on third down, I wish it weren't necessary but we clearly need it, I can't believe how much urging some of my fellow Gopher fans need to get off their a$$es on big plays.

Wow. 9 pages of bit ching...that has to be some kind of record. I thought it was pretty funny when he said "Stadermier, Bennett and Olson are back to receive".

Wow. 9 pages of bit ching...that has to be some kind of record. I thought it was pretty funny when he said "Stadermier, Bennett and Olson are back to receive".

I know...9 pages... and you'd think with that much complaining I'd have heard at least one person complain about the guy in the stadium in my 12 years of going to games. Yet I don't remember a single time.

I'm continually amazed at how people let little things bother them. If you think Jamie is a bad PA guy for being too emotional/dramatic, you've clearly never heard North Dakota's hockey PA guy.

"Heeeeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeee'ssssssssssssssss yooooooooooouuuuuuuurrrrrrrr Fighting Sioux SCooooooooooooooooorrrrrrriiiiiinnnnnnnnnggggggggg!"

And that's NOT an exaggeration!

As for Mr. Verbrugge reminding people to get up on third down, I wish it weren't necessary but we clearly need it, I can't believe how much urging some of my fellow Gopher fans need to get off their a$$es on big plays.

I'm amazed that you let the North Dakota hockey PA guy get to you. It's so minor and insignificant.

I haven't looked in at this thread in a few days. How many posts on your own thread are you up to now Section2? If the thread is 9 pages, I'm guessing about 4-5 of them are just from you. Is that about right?

It isn't so much that there are 9 pages of bitching... it is more amazing that so much of it is from ONE person.

I haven't looked in at this thread in a few days. How many posts on your own thread are you up to now Section2? If the thread is 9 pages, I'm guessing about 4-5 of them are just from you. Is that about right?

It isn't so much that there are 9 pages of bitching... it is more amazing that so much of it is from ONE person.

I stopped bitching about the PA guy long ago ITT. This thread is now all about bitching about the people who are bitching about this thread.

Like I said, I hadn't looked at it in a few days so I assumed it was still related to bitching about the PA guy. Regardless if it is bitching about the PA guy or bitching about people bitching... do you think your activity level here is part of the problem or the solution?

And, if it is just about people bitching now... I can tune out entirely. I already avoid several other similar threads and I can go back to my regular scheduled programming now.

Top Bottom