PA actually making effort to talk Gophers

I'll defend my friend. Why is he a "jackbag?" Because he travels a handful of Saturdays in the fall, and other Saturdays decides to spend time with his children? Admittedly, he'll tell you that he doesn't follow college football. I was laughed at by a few while there for wanting to talk Gophers. PA was not one of those people.

Well said Doogie

I'll defend my friend. Why is he a "jackbag?" Because he travels a handful of Saturdays in the fall, and other Saturdays decides to spend time with his children? Admittedly, he'll tell you that he doesn't follow college football. I was laughed at by a few while there for wanting to talk Gophers. PA was not one of those people.

I don't think he's a jackbag. He has his areas of knowledge, and can be enjoyable when he's talking about those subjects.

If he would have defended his assertion that the Gophs only win 1 vs. SoDak, and backed it up with any amount of knowledge, I would not have had any problem. I am not asking for him to be a blind follower and root, root, root for the home team, but the dude will not abide by uninformed information, when the only purpose appears to be an easy cheap shot. To beat this horse (a horse who's life appears to be in serious jeopardy), I would be extremely happy to hear him talk more Gopher football, with the caveat that he has a sidekick on with him to keep him in check, get him proper information, etc.

Everytime he mentions the Gophers it is closely followed by his admission that he doesn't follow college football. At least he admits as much and doesn't pretend he is some sort of expert. (Could you imagine Danny B ever admitting he doesn't follow anything closely)? While he doesn't have a lot of knowledge you can tell that he wouldn't mind it at all if the team was wildly successful, which I also appreciate.

I'm glad he brought up the Gophers today, but with Favre's arrival tonight it means another season of Gopher Football as an afterthought. I really hope people are starting to see just how big an impact the Vikings have on potential fans. Unless we go 12-0, nobody outside of Gopherhole will care.

win and they will talk, otherwise the twins and vikes will dominate the airwaves. This is common sense.

Because, admitting you don't care about a part of your job...

is lazy. I don't give one damn about how he spends Saturdays. He has a Tivo type set-up, filled with NBA crap, use it. It's amazing how fast you can catch up. We are not asking for in-depth breakdowns, we want a base level understanding. What do we get? Increasingly inaccurate and frequently intentionally wrong or misleading information. The best ticket choice at the "U" is Baseball? Does he even know they have been playing their games at the Dome for a while now? I guess not, because he thinks he is being flip and cool, and failing miserably. Fine, but when you don't know, reserve judgment, defer to someone who does know, or, I don't know, bring in a guest who does know something! 12 years on the job, and he still shows little or no willingness to do prep work, unless it's NBA basketball. Doogie, your buddy is a text book example of how to not be professional. The weird thing is, KFAN seems to reward that kind of behavior, wasn't like that where I worked. You should be happy we feel this way, can only help drive your station ratings up.

is lazy. I don't give one damn about how he spends Saturdays. He has a Tivo type set-up, filled with NBA crap, use it. It's amazing how fast you can catch up. We are not asking for in-depth breakdowns, we want a base level understanding. What do we get? Increasingly inaccurate and frequently intentionally wrong or misleading information. The best ticket choice at the "U" is Baseball? Does he even know they have been playing their games at the Dome for a while now? I guess not, because he thinks he is being flip and cool, and failing miserably. Fine, but when you don't know, reserve judgment, defer to someone who does know, or, I don't know, bring in a guest who does know something! 12 years on the job, and he still shows little or no willingness to do prep work, unless it's NBA basketball. Doogie, your buddy is a text book example of how to not be professional. The weird thing is, KFAN seems to reward that kind of behavior, wasn't like that where I worked. You should be happy we feel this way, can only help drive your station ratings up.

dude you are one classless piece of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#....do u c he bag.

I'm kind of with Re3886. It's the guys job to know sports or at least be able to get the info out to the listening audience. Hell if all he did was to bring an expert in once a week it wouldn't take long for him to be able to talk about the sport. We're not asking for alot. Just more than a little.

There really is no excuse for a guy on a sports station to not have a working grasp of the teams in his broadcast market. He's already got a leg up in that he studies the pro version. How tough would it actually be to know a little about the team, it's not like he has to learn football also.

It's really quite pathetic.

Same goes for all the guys on Kfan.

get bent.

That alone would qualify him to host any show on KFAN between 9 and 6. :banghead:
When I did work in the media, I would never show up with nothing, and then insult people who want to talk about sports in my purview.
I couldn't work for KFAN, I would be fired for high quality.

What about that is classless?

dude you are one classless piece of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#....do u c he bag.

To expect professionalism? Has it fallen so low that showing up is good enough? You are clueless.
That is way worse than classless. Should I call you a name now?

To expect professionalism? Has it fallen so low that showing up is good enough? You are clueless.
That is way worse than classless. Should I call you a name now?

Go for it. I would expect nothing less coming from a person that badmouths another person who he does not know.

When I did work in the media, I would never show up with nothing, and then insult people who want to talk about sports in my purview.
I couldn't work for KFAN, I would be fired for high quality.

LOL...this explains your "agenda".

Go for it. I would expect nothing less coming from a person that badmouths another person who he does not know.

"dude you are one classless piece of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#....do u c he bag".

As opposed to this of course..

"dude you are one classless piece of *&^!#*&^!#*&^!#*&^!#....do u c he bag".

As opposed to this of course..

When you bad mouth a person you do not know, you deserved to be bad mouthed.No contradictions here.

When you bad mouth a person you do not know, you deserved to be bad mouthed.No contradictions here.

No it's hypocritical pure and simple. They only thing close to "bad mouthing" of a personalt nature of Allen in his post was the fact that he "didn't give a damn" about what Allen did on Saturdays. The rest was contempt for what Allen does on the air. That's the only "know" that matters so to speak, between broadcaster and listener. In the vast amount of cases that's all the "know" that actually does exist.

Me, I might be in a very small majority around here but I like Paul Allen's work on Vikings broadcasts, because I find it entertaining. His takes on the T-Wolves and the few times I've been to Canterbury, I like those also.

His work on the football Gophers and Brewster? He disgusts me. Constantly snarky and snide and please no "well they've been awful" response. Listening to KFAN the last three years one would think that they had gone 1-11 for all three years.

Nope KFAN's constant refrain was "sports, sports sports we don't CARE about sports". They don't play it anymore:p . but it's still accurate. Allen does care about sports, but not the Gophers- and it shows. Nobody who does care about them should ever tune in that station after 9:00 am.

If I followed that reasoning, if I ordered a steak, and the steak was cooked badly, I couldn't criticize the chef because I didn't know the chef. Criticizing the sports media is no different, it doesn't matter if we know them personally, we're criticizing their work.

really?

What do you know about what or who I know?

I guess my location excaped you totally...

LOL...this explains your "agenda".

I do not currently work in the media, by my own choice. I worked in T.V.. I have no agenda other than to raise to bar of Gopher Sports coverage. I have never asked for excellence, only for effort. Answer me this, is that a lot to ask for?

No it's hypocritical pure and simple. They only thing close to "bad mouthing" of a personalt nature of Allen in his post was the fact that he "didn't give a damn" about what Allen did on Saturdays. The rest was contempt for what Allen does on the air. That's the only "know" that matters so to speak, between broadcaster and listener. In the vast amount of cases that's all the "know" that actually does exist.

Me, I might be in a very small majority around here but I like Paul Allen's work on Vikings broadcasts, because I find it entertaining. His takes on the T-Wolves and the few times I've been to Canterbury, I like those also.

His work on the football Gophers and Brewster? He disgusts me. Constantly snarky and snide and please no "well they've been awful" response. Listening to KFAN the last three years one would think that they had gone 1-11 for all three years.

Nope KFAN's constant refrain was "sports, sports sports we don't CARE about sports". They don't play it anymore:p . but it's still accurate. Allen does care about sports, but not the Gophers- and it shows. Nobody who does care about them should ever tune in that station after 9:00 am.

Its not hypocritical one bit. Eye for an eye applies in this circumstance.

I do not currently work in the media, by my own choice. I worked in T.V.. I have no agenda other than to raise to bar of Gopher Sports coverage. I have never asked for excellence, only for effort. Answer me this, is that a lot to ask for?

To expect the media in a big professional sports market to "raise the bar" on examining a mid tier division 1 college football team is asinine. In order for PA and other local media outlets to actually give two s h it s about gopher football they must win. Plain and simple. Some people just live in a bubble, you are one of them.

PA is one of the better sports radio guys in town. Have you ever tried to listen to Mike Max? MM is awful.

To expect the media in a big professional sports market to "raise the bar" on examining a mid tier division 1 college football team is asinine. In order for PA and other local media outlets to actually give two s h it s about gopher football they must win. Plain and simple. Some people just live in a bubble, you are one of them.

Just in case you missed it.
monk10 said:
I feel bad for the KFAN groupies. I bet they wish people didn't even bring it up here, because it is usually a slaughtering of posts that makes KFAN look worse.

Just in case you missed it.

Groupie? I listen to KFAN probably once/twice a week in the car. Some people (most likely you) just seem to live in their own little world not realizing what the general audience is for the local media outlets . Its about winning buddy. Nobody cares in this town until the gopher football team actual contends for a Big Ten championship. Until then, don't ask for coverage to be raised or call people like PA unprofessional.

Wow

Groupie? I listen to KFAN probably once/twice a week in the car. Some people (most likely you) just seem to live in their own little world not realizing what the general audience is for the local media outlets . Its about winning buddy. Nobody cares in this town until the gopher football team actual contends for a Big Ten championship. Until then, don't ask for coverage to be raised or call people like PA unprofessional.

Huh, I'm not sure if this could make less sense....The T-Wolves suck, and he talks about them to no end.
The Wild is struggling and he has guests on.
He has the Coach of the Minnesota Thunder on, or did. I'm fairly confident most Minnesotans could not tell you where they play....I guess winning is everything.

Huh, I'm not sure if this could make less sense....The T-Wolves suck, and he talks about them to no end.
The Wild is struggling and he has guests on.
He has the Coach of the Minnesota Thunder on, or did. I'm fairly confident most Minnesotans could not tell you where they play....I guess winning is everything.

Please do not give examples like the Minnesota Thunder to validate your argument. Minnesota Gopher Basketball/Hockey gets plenty of air time on KFAN when they are relevant. Likewise, when Minnesota Football becomes relevant they will recieve more air time.

Professional sports will ALWAYS be more relevant (as a whole) in this market so long as we have them here. Please see NYC as a prime example.

Please see NYC as a prime example.

Yes, great example. A city that has no Division I-A football within its borders (Rutgers does not count, as it is in New Jersey), and whose basketball programs have all sucked for the better part of two decades.

Great point.

So, only site things...

that support your spurious premise....no thanks. You claimed that only winning is relevant, I proved that wrong. Now you expand it to mean pro sports matter all the time, no matter what and college doesn't when losing. Why? Just because you said so, I guess.
I don't think you have ever been to NYC,or listened to the radio there.
There are a lot of different options in Radio to listen to.
St. John's basketball receives a lot of coverage, winning or not.
Columbia gets coverage, and they haven't been important since somewhere around the turn of the last century. Rutgers has a media contract in NYC for sports, and did before they had some recent success. Do they talk college all the time? No, they don't, not even close. If someone calls in, they have at least a foundation of info, so not to come off as ignorant? Yes.
Do you want to limit this again to one particular station in NYC? you seem to move the target when it gets hit.

Top Bottom