69 - BYU ?
---------------------------------------
G5 NIL Notables:
AAC: SMU 2.1 mil, Tulane 1.5 mil
C-USA: Western Kentucky 1.1 mil
MAC: Toledo 2.5 mil, Western Michigan 1.2 mil
MW: Biose State 2 mil
SBC: James Madison 1.9 mil, App State 1.4 mil

To help with any confusion: These are valuations based on real tracked NIL sources. The actual numbers are being kept private.

Last edited:

What do these numbers even mean? Are these potential NIL$ contracts? Are they guaranteed to be paid as long as they’re on the team and meeting some minimum legal standard that constitutes participating in NIL?

What do these numbers even mean? Are these potential NIL$ contracts? Are they guaranteed to be paid as long as they’re on the team and meeting some minimum legal standard that constitutes participating in NIL?

The numbers are collected from a variety of sources including players themselves. It's more a glimpse of the whole with from what to who, and not necessarily showing the work specifics.

This gives some idea on the reporting and getting more info as it's available. With sources, when/if available.

Last edited:

It's quite frankly incredible to me that Minnesota can even conjure up $3M to pay its players.

I guess that's "only" $35.3k on average for 85 scholarship players ... still seems unbelievable. Who is paying that much, and to whom? For what?

These numbers seem mostly inflated by 200% or more. Other than the elite programs, which I believe almost anything.

Wait ... are these valuations, or actual NIL numbers??

See what I'm saying?

They could be trying to say a thing like "we are placing a NIL *valuation* of Minn's roster at $3M" ... but that's not saying our roster is actually signed to that much NIL.

For the Gopher roster, they only actually list six players with any "NIL value":

cHKSGy9.png

Is there anything to corroborate these numbers?

Or like I'm saying, are these just valuations that they're coming up with somehow?

For the Gopher roster, they only actually list six players with any "NIL value":

cHKSGy9.png

Is there anything to corroborate these numbers?

Or like I'm saying, are these just valuations that they're coming up with somehow?

The On3 NIL Deal Tracker lists all NIL Deals across the NCAA for college and high school athletes being reported by players, collectives, agents and media. On3 does NOT disclose deal financial terms. Financial data is undisclosed and private to the athlete.

For whatever they are worth, I believe they are valuations. I wonder if that is to avoid legal trouble?

Last edited:

As much as you want to believe that they are made up random numbers, they are not.

There is zero proof they are accurate. And I can tell you the actual number for at least one gopher isn’t even close. But sure—they are accurate.

There is zero proof they are accurate. And I can tell you the actual number for at least one gopher isn’t even close. But sure—they are accurate.

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/about-on3-nil-valuation-per-post-value/

"The algorithm-driven On3 NIL Valuation comes from 27 years of data and science innovation in college sports publishing. From the architects of the three major high school and college databases, the valuation was developed with the assistance of multiple machine learning engineers. From the creators of a science-backed rating system of high school athletes, the evaluation also was born following the creation of On3’s Recruiting Prediction Machine, which is an algorithm and machine learning-based product to predict where athletes will attend college. Since the RPM was released in December 2021, it has a greater than 86% success rate.

On top of the experienced staff who created the On3 NIL Valuation, On3 has over 250 reporters and 30 years of connections with coaches, agents, media brands and administrators to get an unprecedented look behind the curtain of the current environment of college sports. Combined with a team of data scientists, engineers and developers who are experienced professionals in the space.

And with a dedicated NIL staff, which is the largest in the nation, which keeps tabs on the pulse of NIL in college athletes. The On3 NIL Deal Tracker has already tracked nearly 4,000 individual brand deals to date."

--

It's just data for analysts, players, and people representing players to ballpark NIL brand. For me, it's fun because I like math. (I'm a programmer) It's fun to see a glimpse of what things are being reported. The deal tracker sources are real, the numbers are valuations. If isn't enjoyable to you, that's fine.

I never said numbers were accurate to dollar. In fact, I assumed they were not to avoid legal trouble.

even if the actual numbers are a little bit off, it still serves as a general assessment of where schools are with NIL.

next year in the 18-school B1G, the Gophers are 15th according to that list.

I am NOT criticizing Dinkytown Athletes. they are trying to do something. The NIL gap is mainly due to fat cat donors. MN doesn't have them - or have enough of them.

even if the actual numbers are a little bit off, it still serves as a general assessment of where schools are with NIL.

next year in the 18-school B1G, the Gophers are 15th according to that list.

I am NOT criticizing Dinkytown Athletes. they are trying to do something. The NIL gap is mainly due to fat cat donors. MN doesn't have them - or have enough of them.
What if the numbers aren’t just a little off, but completely made up?

From their own site:

On3 NIL Valuation​

The On3 NIL Valuation is an index that looks to set the standard market value for both high school and college-level athletes. The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals an athlete has completed to date. It rather signifies an athlete’s value at a certain moment in time.

The NIL valuation is comprised of a number of dynamic data points that focus on two primary factors – an athlete’s social media presence and their level of athletic performance.

A base valuation is generated from the number of followers on each social media platform an athlete has (Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok). Each platform is weighted differently based on the number of marketing dollars that brands and advertisers typically spend on each.

With a baseline established through their individual social platforms, an athlete may also receive various boosts or penalties based on the following factors:

• Engagement
  • Relative Social Media Strength
  • College Prestige
  • Individual Player Rankings
  • Position
  • Gameday Performance
  • Prestigious Achievements
  • Legacy
  • Media
  • Existing NIL Deals

The numbers are collected from a variety of sources including players themselves. It's more a glimpse of the whole with how much from what to who, and not necessarily showing the work specifics.

This gives some idea on the reporting and getting more info as it's available. With sources, when/if available.
No they aren’t. It’s an entirely made up algorithm

From their own site:

On3 NIL Valuation​

The On3 NIL Valuation is an index that looks to set the standard market value for both high school and college-level athletes. The NIL valuation does not act as a tracker of the value of NIL deals an athlete has completed to date. It rather signifies an athlete’s value at a certain moment in time.

The NIL valuation is comprised of a number of dynamic data points that focus on two primary factors – an athlete’s social media presence and their level of athletic performance.

A base valuation is generated from the number of followers on each social media platform an athlete has (Instagram, Twitter, and TikTok). Each platform is weighted differently based on the number of marketing dollars that brands and advertisers typically spend on each.

With a baseline established through their individual social platforms, an athlete may also receive various boosts or penalties based on the following factors:

• Engagement
  • College Prestige
  • Position
  • Gameday Performance
  • Legacy
  • Media
  • Existing NIL Deals
Correct. This metric is even more useless than I thought

For each athlete, the On3 NIL Valuation algorithm takes into account three primary factors: performance, influence and exposure to create their individual Roster Value and Brand Value, which together combine to create the athlete’s On3 NIL Valuation.

Roster Value is a calculation of an athlete’s respective value to their team. It is the amount an athlete hopes to receive primarily through a school’s collective, from sources such as camps, appearances, local businesses, licensing, memorabilia, etc. The amount is based on the athlete’s (P)erformance value, their school’s NIL collective size and the overall NIL market.

Brand Value is generated when an athlete’s (P)erformance, (I)nfluence, and (E)xposure combine to create awareness on a regional and national scale, creating advertising and sponsorship opportunities beyond Roster Value. Brand Value revenue originates from the athlete’s personal network and is not sourced from collectives/schools.

Roster Value is a calculation of an athlete’s respective value to their team. It is the amount an athlete hopes to receive primarily through a school’s collective, from sources such as camps, appearances, local businesses, licensing, memorabilia, etc. The amount is based on the athlete’s (P)erformance value, their school’s NIL collective size and the overall NIL market.

Aka, we made up how much we think they hypothetically should make based on nothing at all

Until, and if, there is a verifiable database of deals with full transparency, the dollar amount attached to this stuff is all B.S. The proprietary index is fine. Use the index for interesting analysis. Attaching a dollar amount is dishonest and totally made up crap IMO.

From their own site:

On3 NIL Valuation​

• Engagement
  • College Prestige
  • Position
  • Gameday Performance
  • Legacy
  • Media
  • Existing NIL Deals
I like it. I'm a bit weird though.

I'm not disagreeing. There is indeed math being done.
Yes. Made up math not based on what players tell them they make. They’re just using “reported” deals and then trying to extrapolate and make an algorithm for all teams. Garbage in=garbage out. I put no stock in this reported number and would not use it. No doubt the number is astronomically different at some of these schools

Until, and if, there is a verifiable database of deals with full transparency, the dollar amount attached to this stuff is all B.S. The proprietary index is fine. Use the index for interesting analysis. Attaching a dollar amount is dishonest and totally made up crap IMO.
This. Give it a “score” but eliminate the dollars

That NIL deal financial terms aren't public knowledge for most of these players, who are largely playing at public schools, is just another facet to how inferior the current college setup is to the NFL

Confirms that is still very much a cloak and daggers, back room, cabal that is in control and wants to keep it that way.

P5 NIL Team Rankings (from on3):
1 - Texas $19.9 mil
2 - Alabama $16 mil
3 - tOSU 13.6 mil
4 - USC 13.5 mil
5 - Georgia 13.4 mil
6 - Colorado 12.3 mil
7 - Michigan 11.6 mil
8 - Oregon 11.6 mil
9 - Tennessee 11.6 mil
10 - Florida State 10.2 mil
11 - LSU 10.1 mil
12 - Penn State 9.9 mil
13 - Oklahoma 9.7 mil
14 - Texas A&M 9.3 mil
15 - Notre Dame 8.6 mil
16 - Miami 8.2 mil
17 - South Carolina 8 mil
18 - Clemson 7.8 mil
19 - Florida 7.8 mil
20 - Ole Miss 7.3 mil
21 - Auburn 6.9 mil
22 - Washington 6.9 mil
23 - Missouri 6.8 mil
24 - North Carolina 6.8 mil
25 - Kentucky 5.9 mil
----- top 25 -----
26 - Nebraska 5.9 mil
27 - Louisville 5.7 mil
28 - Iowa 5.3 mil
29 - UCLA 5.3 mil
30 - Arkansas 5.2 mil
31 - Wisconsin 5.1 mil
32 - Texas Tech 4.6 mil
33 - Oregon State 4.4 mil
34 - Baylor 4.2 mil
35 - Maryland 4.2 mil
36 - TCU 4.1 mil
37 - West Virginia 3.9 mil
38 - Michigan State 3.8 mil
39 - Purdue 3.8 mil
40 - Utah 3.8 mil
41 - Arizona 3.7 mil
42 - Kansas 3.7 mil
43 - Mississippi State 3.7 mil
44 - Kansas State 3.6 mil
45 - Oklahoma State 3.4 mil
46 - Virginia Tech 3.3 mil
47 - Washington State 3.3 mil
48 - Illinois 3.1 mil
----------------------------------------
49 - Minnesota 3 mil
----------------------------------------
50 - NC State 3 mil
51 - Rutgers 2.8 mil
52 - Wake Forest 2.8 mil
53 - Iowa State 2.7 mil
54 - Pittsburgh 2.7 mil
55 - Arizona State 2.6 mil
56 - Georgia Tech 2.6 mil
57 - Duke 2.5 mil
58 - UCF 2.5 mil
59 - Virginia 2.5 mil
60 - Syracuse 2.4 mil
61 - Vanderbilt 2.4 mil
62 - California 2.3 mil
63 - Standford 2.3 mil
64 - Indiana 2.2 mil
65 - Boston College 2 mil
66 - Cincinnati 1.9 mil
67 - Northwestern 1.6 mil
68 - Houston 1.5 mil
69 - BYU ?
---------------------------------------
G5 NIL Notables:
AAC: SMU 2.1 mil, Tulane 1.5 mil
C-USA: Western Kentucky 1.1 mil
MAC: Toledo 2.5 mil, Western Michigan 1.2 mil
MW: Biose State 2 mil
SBC: James Madison 1.9 mil, App State 1.4 mil

To help with any confusion: These are valuations based on real tracked NIL sources. The actual numbers are being kept private.
It’s what I keep saying, just create the premier league already. 30 to 35 teams.,Have 3 divisions. Premier and 2 others. 45 to 50 teams in each of the other 2 divisions.

https://www.on3.com/nil/news/about-on3-nil-valuation-per-post-value/

"The algorithm-driven On3 NIL Valuation comes from 27 years of data and science innovation in college sports publishing. From the architects of the three major high school and college databases, the valuation was developed with the assistance of multiple machine learning engineers. From the creators of a science-backed rating system of high school athletes, the evaluation also was born following the creation of On3’s Recruiting Prediction Machine, which is an algorithm and machine learning-based product to predict where athletes will attend college. Since the RPM was released in December 2021, it has a greater than 86% success rate.

On top of the experienced staff who created the On3 NIL Valuation, On3 has over 250 reporters and 30 years of connections with coaches, agents, media brands and administrators to get an unprecedented look behind the curtain of the current environment of college sports. Combined with a team of data scientists, engineers and developers who are experienced professionals in the space.

And with a dedicated NIL staff, which is the largest in the nation, which keeps tabs on the pulse of NIL in college athletes. The On3 NIL Deal Tracker has already tracked nearly 4,000 individual brand deals to date."

--

It's just data for analysts, players, and people representing players to ballpark NIL brand. For me, it's fun because I like math. (I'm a programmer) It's fun to see a glimpse of what things are being reported. The deal tracker sources are real, the numbers are valuations. If isn't enjoyable to you, that's fine.

I never said numbers were accurate to dollar. In fact, I assumed they were not to avoid legal trouble.
Garbage.

So, according to On3, we have approximately the same NIL $ as Illinois (who just signed Boswell and others) and substantially more NIL $ than Indiana (who just signed Ballo and others). Damn...we must be saving that big NIL money for a real stud who's about to enter the portal. I'm so excited.....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Top Bottom