P.J. Press Conference for Wisconsin

PJ can't say it, but the way he answers gives me the feeling that we will have some "transfers" out that are needed so we can go into the portal and get some replacements that are better.

Also, the leash will be very short with AK next year....very short.

The HC can't say certain things but if you know you know...and we all know what he is really saying in some of his answers.

PJ can't say it, but the way he answers gives me the feeling that we will have some "transfers" out that are needed so we can go into the portal and get some replacements that are better.

The HC can't say certain things but if you know you know...and we all know what he is really saying in some of his answers.
All in

People want him to change. Hopefully he gets the team better.
Next year will be telling

everyone wants the portal to be a net gain - where the amount of talent coming in is higher than the amount of talent going out.

the trick is making it happen. with limited NIL, it may be tough for the Gophers to end up with a net gain. but they need it to be at least a break-even proposition. they cannot afford to wind up with a net loss of talent.

If I was offering advice to Fleck, I would go for quality over quantity. I would rather see the Gophers bring in 1 or 2 really good players as opposed to a handful of average players. but again, really good players come with a higher price tag. if you can't pay the price, you're not going to get that higher-level talent.

everyone wants the portal to be a net gain - where the amount of talent coming in is higher than the amount of talent going out.

the trick is making it happen. with limited NIL, it may be tough for the Gophers to end up with a net gain. but they need it to be at least a break-even proposition. they cannot afford to wind up with a net loss of talent.

If I was offering advice to Fleck, I would go for quality over quantity. I would rather see the Gophers bring in 1 or 2 really good players as opposed to a handful of average players. but again, really good players come with a higher price tag. if you can't pay the price, you're not going to get that higher-level talent.
I would go for quantity and quality

Because it’s not like the two choices you just gave are a real choice

This will be 100% the norm in college football for every major program going forward.

The added "flexibility" for the players has to be met by added "flexibility" for the program. Players will continue to be pushed out at much higher rates than the past and the coaches don't have any other option but to embrace this as part of the job.

Unfortunately for some of the players, this is the flipside to that coin.

The current system certainly magnifies the impact of injuries if a position group hit hard by the Portal gets the injury bug. This is of course the case because it's not your lesser players getting hurt, but those who are seeing the field.

the reality of college football is that Helmet schools with deep NIL pockets can have quantity and quality. schools like MN that do not have deep NIL pockets are forced to choose.
I didn’t say I’d get it. I said I’d go for it

If AK goes into Spring and Summer with a short leash that is a mistake. He should have no leash. He should be competing for the job along with some other QBs.

If he could get one or two really good players no reason not to take a bunch of good players too.

the reality of college football is that Helmet schools with deep NIL pockets can have quantity and quality. schools like MN that do not have deep NIL pockets are forced to choose.
If you are Minnesota you do not have that choice and certainly are not forced to choose. You can only take the best you can get.

Really hard to not look at this season as anything but a blip when you listen to him talk. I know talk and performance are two different things but it's true, there are ups and downs and our downs are a lot more stark than some of the top teams. He hasn't lied to us about a thing in terms of expectations. We are what we are, need to hope there's growth from the failings of this year and we pop back up next year. Also pretty happy he's being open about where AK needs more growth. I'd like to see them hit the portal hard for a QB.

My guess is AK leaves after this year. He has some serious skills but isn’t developing here.
I get laughed at too many times so I have quit saying it. I really think when healthy we have as talented as an offense that we've seen. 2019 had some serious top end talent but I think top to bottom this offense is rock solid. Now with that being said, something has to be holding it back... my personal belief is there is a coaching issue.

I get laughed at too many times so I have quit saying it. I really think when healthy we have as talented as an offense that we've seen. 2019 had some serious top end talent but I think top to bottom this offense is rock solid. Now with that being said, something has to be holding it back... my personal belief is there is a coaching issue.
Oh, for the love of something!

My guess is AK leaves after this year. He has some serious skills but isn’t developing here.
I am curious... what specific talent do you see there? I see that he can throw it a mile. I see that he sometimes can be accurate. I haven't seen much else. What am I missing?

I certainly wouldn't laugh at you because it's possible to vision what you're thinking under different circumstances but let's go through some of the actual circumstances -----

Sean Tyler was a bust

Darius Taylor was hurt indefinitely early

Brockington was hurt early

Zach Evans was hurt, unavailable at times, and gimpy other times

Bryce Williams was knocked out early

CrAB has caught only 5 passes all season

Spann-Ford was nothing like a preseason all conference performer

Elijah Spencer didn't contribute as much as we thought and hoped he would

Now, if all (or at least most) of those players would have been healthy and clicking, would Athan have performed better? Maybe. Would the coaches have been able to run more successful plays? Probably.

I certainly wouldn't laugh at you because it's possible to vision what you're thinking under different circumstances but let's go through some of the actual circumstances -----

Sean Tyler was a bust

Darius Taylor was hurt indefinitely early

Brockington was hurt early

Zach Evans was hurt, unavailable at times, and gimpy other times

Bryce Williams was knocked out early

CrAB has caught only 5 passes all season

Spann-Ford was nothing like a preseason all conference performer

Elijah Spencer didn't contribute as much as we thought and hoped he would

Now, if all (or at least most) of those players would have been healthy and clicking, would Athan have performed better? Maybe. Would the coaches have been able to run more successful plays? Probably.
I think that I know the answer to this: If these players were in the NFL would some of them be shot up with painkillers and sent out to play? My point is not at all that these players should do that, but that pro football is one tough way to make a living.

Yeah. I agree on arm strength and height. Mobility? People say that but I have not seen it.
For whatever reason he almost never keeps on read options, if they really are options. But the few times he has mi Ed he looks somewhat mobile. Not a great runner but not feet in stone either.

For whatever reason he almost never keeps on read options, if they really are options. But the few times he has mi Ed he looks somewhat mobile. Not a great runner but not feet in stone either.
Tanner was the same on the read option, coached that way? I keep thinking back to that horrible run against Illinois that would have sealed sit. Seldom throwing to anyone but the 1st option. Bad decisions more than physical limitations, not much, if any improvement over a full season. No leash.

Top Bottom