P.J.FLECK to Purdue......

I'm just seeing "Purdue still searching" kinda stories....

Mods should delete this thread or forcibly change the title.

Forget Trump, Gopherhole has its own unstable 70 year old who spouts misinformation as if it's the truth.

That deal would make so much more sense for Purdue than Les Miles.

That said, I don't think it happens.

That deal would make so much more sense for Purdue than Les Miles.

That said, I don't think it happens.

Purdue should cream their jeans if they get Fleck. He'd be really stupid to go there, though. He can stay at WMU for another year or two and continue to run roughshod over the conference, parlaying it into a much better and more stable job than Purdue.

This tweet references a pay site TIFWIW:

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Last news I saw indicated Fleck was interviewing at Baylor.... not sure he should want that job either.....

I have a rat. Fleck will be named after the MAC Championship Game . Late Friday or Saturday.

Boiler Up!!!!

If he goes to Purdue, he'll be a flop. He admits to not being an X's and O's guy, his act works in the MAC where you can win with slightly better athletes. Actually have to be able to coach at a place like Purdue. Not going to out do the big boys for the Jimmy's and joes the same way you can out do the eastern and central Michigan's. They'll be looking for a new guy in four years, but he will provide some entertaining PJism's. For PJ to do well, he needs to go somewhere that will shell out money for top coordinators. If he's stays another year at Western, he can get a Texas A&M type of job where they will do that. Purdue lacks the facilities and the commitment for a guy like PJ Fleck to do well

People need to recognize that he isn't going to go to a top program straight from western Michigan. He may not want to leave Midwest as well. That limits the destinations. For the most part only the Big Ten hires from the MAC due to geography.

Purdue has plans for $60M upgrades to facilities.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree with the above assessment, MAC coaches rarely go straight from MAC to big-time P5 job. They almost always go to a mid-tier P5 school first; Fleck could be the rare exception but MAC-level is really bottom-rung FBS and the titans like their guys to be a bit more seasoned I think.

From what I can tell, these are the last 15 MAC coaches to move up:

Matt Campbell: Toledo -> Iowa State
Dino Babers: Bowling Green -> Syracuse
Dave Clawson: Bowling Green -> Wake Forest
Darrell Hazell: Kent State -> Purdue
Dave Doeren: Northern Illinois -> NC State
Tim Beckman: Toledo -> Illinois
Mike Haywood: Miami (OH) -> Pitt
Jerry Kill: Northern Illinois -> Minnesota
Butch Jones: Central Michigan -> Cincinnati
Turner Gill: Buffalo -> Kansas
Brady Hoke: Ball State -> San Diego State
Brian Kelly: Central Michigan -> Cincinnati
Urban Meyer: Bowling Green -> Utah
Jim Grobe: Ohio -> Wake Forest
Randy Walker: Miami (OH) -> Northwestern

Mountain West
Conference USA
American
MAC

They provide HC's to P5. Mostly done due to regional ties.

Rock Star Coordinators from P5 get big gigs also because of regional or past ties.

I have a rat. Fleck will be named after the MAC Championship Game . Late Friday or Saturday.

Ruppert's post above is very likely accurate. Fleck prefers not to leave the Midwest. He is recently divorced - remarried - with 5 kids. He is from the Chicago area. He can parlay a good 2-3 years at Purdue into something bigger. Purdue has a new AD and he has said publicly that he has the BOT's blessing to spend much more $$$ than they have before.

Purdue's 3 non-conference games next year are Louisville, Ohio, and Missouri. Good luck with that.

Mods get your sh*t together and change the title please!!

I agree with the above assessment, MAC coaches rarely go straight from MAC to big-time P5 job. They almost always go to a mid-tier P5 school first; Fleck could be the rare exception but MAC-level is really bottom-rung FBS and the titans like their guys to be a bit more seasoned I think.

From what I can tell, these are the last 15 MAC coaches to move up:

Matt Campbell: Toledo -> Iowa State
Dino Babers: Bowling Green -> Syracuse
Dave Clawson: Bowling Green -> Wake Forest
Darrell Hazell: Kent State -> Purdue
Dave Doeren: Northern Illinois -> NC State
Tim Beckman: Toledo -> Illinois
Mike Haywood: Miami (OH) -> Pitt
Jerry Kill: Northern Illinois -> Minnesota
Butch Jones: Central Michigan -> Cincinnati
Turner Gill: Buffalo -> Kansas
Brady Hoke: Ball State -> San Diego State
Brian Kelly: Central Michigan -> Cincinnati
Urban Meyer: Bowling Green -> Utah
Jim Grobe: Ohio -> Wake Forest
Randy Walker: Miami (OH) -> Northwestern

I know there are further back then the last 15, but worth mentioning?

Add the late Terry Hoepner: Miami of Ohio-> Indiana University

Add the late Bo Schembechler: Miami of Ohio-> Michigan

Add the late Woody Hayes: Miami of Ohio-> Thee Ohio State University (or Ahia State if you are south of Columbus).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cradle_of_Coaches

He beat NW at NW and crushed Illinois this year with his recruits. He'll out recruit this staff. That would be a great hire for Purdue in my opinion. Wonder who we'll get next year?

Wonder if Coyle reached out to Fleck's people at all? You think Tracy Claeys could go 13-0 or 12-1 in the MAC with wins like Western Michigan had this year? And build the program like Fleck did? Can't believe Purdue is going to get that guy, if it's true (and I think it might be). I think he likes the small town. We probably couldn't have got him anyhow.

I really hope it's not true. If it is, that's 3 B1G programs in the same vicinity as the Gophers that hired coaches with a better resume than Claeys over the past 2 years. Maryland, Rutgers, and Purdue.

I really hope it's not true. If it is, that's 3 B1G programs in the same vicinity as the Gophers that hired coaches with a better resume than Claeys over the past 2 years. Maryland, Rutgers, and Purdue.

I thought in an earlier post you also had Lovie in this group? I might be wrong.

Still I would take the entire staff that Claeys has over the staffs that those three or four programs have put together.

Any reason you're leaving Illinois off this list?

I thought in an earlier post you also had Lovie in this group? I might be wrong.

Still I would take the entire staff that Claeys has over the staffs that those three or four programs have put together.

No, and I wouldn't. I leave Lovie off because successful NFL coaches don't always make successful college coaches. Lovie was a position coach at a number of big schools, but that was 20+ years ago. A lot has changed since then.

No, and I wouldn't. I leave Lovie off because successful NFL coaches don't always make successful college coaches. Lovie was a position coach at a number of big schools, but that was 20+ years ago. A lot has changed since then.

Agree GWG. I've watched a couple of his pressers and he always gets an NFL tidbit in there.
He also doesn't look like a happy camper.

That's not your argument, though. Your argument is resume. You can't credibly argue that a longtime NFL head coach with a Super Bowl appearance has a worse resume than Michigan's DC.

There's always a hot MAC coach every year or two. It's the nature of the league. Some of them work out, some of them don't. PJ Fleck might be successful at Purdue, but if I had to bet on it I would bet against it.

That's not your argument, though. Your argument is resume. You can't credibly argue that a longtime NFL head coach with a Super Bowl appearance has a worse resume than Michigan's DC.

I'm not hiring a NFL coach, I'm hiring a college head coach. I would rather hire someone that was responsible for recruiting under Urban Meyer and Jim Harbaugh last year over someone who hasn't recruited anyone in 20 years and had a GM responsible for building his roster.

Lovie has the same amount of college head coaching experience as Durkin and Ash, and less than Fleck.

The two jobs have different responsibilities, which is why it's rare that a coach succeeds at both levels like Harbaugh has.

Top Bottom