P.J. Fleck and the Minnesota Gophers: The Good, Bad, and Ugly

BleedGopher

Reaction score
Per Jesse:

The Good

Winning Ways

In sports, winning is the #1 definition of success. Through six seasons, Fleck has a record of 44-27 and a winning percentage of 62%. Historically, he ranks fourth all-time in win percentage among Gopher head coaches who have coached for at least five seasons. The coaches in front of him, Henry Williams, Clarence Spears, and legend Bernie Bierman, all coached over 70 years ago. The last time the Gophers had an aggregate six-season winning percentage of at least 62% was in 1965. In other words, we are in the midst of the best six-year stretch of Gopher football in 58 years. Fleck’s win percentage puts him in elite Gopher coaching company.

During the past three full seasons, Fleck has won at least nine games, good for a winning percentage of 74%. The Minnesota Gophers have the fourth-best record in the Big 10 since 2019 and have more wins than Wisconsin, Penn State, and Michigan State during that time. While Minnesota is not in the same tier as Michigan, the Gophers have only lost three more games than the Wolverines have in the past three full seasons. The Gophers are also 4 for 4 in bowl games in the past six seasons.

Program Relevance

The Minnesota Gophers were one of the most dominant football programs in the early part of the 20th century and won seven national championships between 1904 and 1960. The program regressed from the 1970s through the late 1990s and was frequently at the bottom of the Big Ten. Since Glenn Mason took over the program in 1997, the Gophers have (mostly) made progress toward being a more competitive, consistent, and relevant team in the Big Ten. Building on the success of predecessors Jerry Kill and Tracy Claeys, Fleck has had his teams in a position to compete for the Big Ten West title in the past couple of years.

Additionally, Fleck’s teams have been ranked in the Top 25 AP Poll at various times during his tenure, including an AP high ranking of #7 during the 2019 season. Since 2019, the Gophers have hosted ESPN’s College Game Day twice, a strong barometer of being a nationally relevant team.

Beating the Badgers

The Gophers’ rivalry with the Badgers is the most-played rivalry in D1 FBS football, with 132 meetings between the teams. The series is currently tied 62-62-8, but it was a one-sided affair before Fleck arrived at the Gophers. The Badgers had beaten the Gophers 14 straight times between 2004 and 2017, Fleck’s first season with the team. On November 24, 2018, Fleck’s team beat the Badgers 37-10 to take home Paul Bunyan’s Axe. Proving the win against Wisconsin wasn’t a fluke; Fleck’s Gophers have beaten the Badgers in the past two times they played. Although a 3-3 record against Wisconsin isn’t anything to write home about, the competitive games against the Gopher’s biggest rival have been a noted accomplishment of Fleck’s tenure.

New Culture

The idea of culture building among athletic programs is subjective, but it is difficult to ignore Fleck’s impact on the football program. Fleck, who defines culture as “connecting people,” is meticulous with his approach to culture and the verbiage he uses to discuss it. His expectations about the language of Gopher football are so defined that it requires players to memorize definitions of over 200 culture-related terms. These unique and colorful football sayings are plastered on signs throughout the Gopher football facilities and on promotional materials. Fleck’s foundational, program-defining mantra, Row the Boat, is synonymous with the football program, perhaps more so than even Goldy Gopher.

Go Gophers!!

Great write up. I look for our best season since our last national championship despite our schedule. We are out of rebuilding this problem and in with becoming a helmet school. Go Gophers!

The Gophers program is on a good solid foundation. It started with Jerry Kill laying the initial bricks. PJ Fleck came in and built the house.

The Gophers need to beat Iowa. They need to watch out for Illinois. Bret Bielema is an excellent coach, and the Gophers don't want to be on the negative ledger against the Illini. Finally, we need to beat Wisconsin more often.

I will be a pretty happy fan if we take care of our closest rivals.

The Gophers program is on a good solid foundation. It started with Jerry Kill laying the initial bricks. PJ Fleck came in and built the house.

The Gophers need to beat Iowa. They need to watch out for Illinois. Bret Bielema is an excellent coach, and the Gophers don't want to be on the negative ledger against the Illini. Finally, we need to beat Wisconsin more often.

I want to win at least one of the OSU and Michigan games and swept the rest. It is possible. I believe we are now at PSU status. Quite a feat. Roll on!

I want to win at least one of the OSU and Michigan games and swept the rest. It is possible. I believe we are now at PSU status. Quite a feat. Roll on!
Football or Basketball team have a better record this year?

That bastard Bielema is a Gopher Killer. I can just see Fleck getting over the hump by beating Iowa only to continue to degrade his 0-2 Bielema record.

He is going to be a thorn in the Gophers' and the Badgers' behinds!
1689984694947.png

Attachments

• 1689984487745.png
    1689984487745.png
    4.3 KB · Views: 2

Top Bottom