P.J. Fleck ‘committed’ to Gophers, sees outside interest as a ‘compliment’

I think PJ is good at answering the "are you leaving" question without making false promises either way. He did that in the WMU article posted. He does a good job of saying "I love my current job" while not promising that he's not leaving, which is fair for him to do IMO.

Heather rules the roost. PJ won't leave until she says okay. I've posted this before and someone doubted me, understand the power of putang. Money comes after that.

Heather rules the roost. PJ won't leave until she says okay. I've posted this before and someone doubted me, understand the power of putang. Money comes after that.
First you get the khakis, then you get the job, then you get the ladies.

As best I know Mase and Katherine still live here.

Pretty good sign.

The biggest cheerleader is Heather Fleck. We cannot forget who the real boss is.
I also think that the longer they stay here and the more their kids grow up and make long-term friendships, the harder it'll be for them to move.

You should always answer the phone. No harm in doing so. Foolish not to. PJ likely doesn’t end his career here so brace for that

You should always answer the phone. No harm in doing so. Foolish not to. PJ likely doesn’t end his career here so brace for that
Depends on the ceiling here. If PJ is competing for the Big Ten West every year, manages to win a Big Ten Title every once and awhile and competes for a national championship in those years, I don't see why he would move as I expect the Athletic Department would give him anything he wanted. If the ceiling is lower than that, then yeah, I could see him leaving.

The biggest cheerleader is Heather Fleck. We cannot forget who the real boss is.

If there is one thing we should know by now about Heather is that she's not going to agree to relocate to a city or state that isn't a first rate place to live and raise their children. Tennessee was never going to be that place.

Last edited:

If there is one thing we should know by now about Heather is that she's not going to agree to relocate to q city or state that isn't a first rate place to raise their children. Tennessee was never going to be that place.

Haha, how dumb. Tenn. bad as it's a Red State, eh?

If there is one thing we should know by now about Heather is that she's not going to agree to relocate to a city or state that isn't a first rate place to live and raise their children. Tennessee was never going to be that place.

Heather will go wherever her lottery ticket wants to go. It isn’t like she has a career here to consider.. when PJ met her she was working at a car lot I believe. PJ’s kids also spend the overwhelming majority of their time with their mother in St. Louis.

Their kids don’t live with them.

Depends on the ceiling here. If PJ is competing for the Big Ten West every year, manages to win a Big Ten Title every once and awhile and competes for a national championship in those years, I don't see why he would move as I expect the Athletic Department would give him anything he wanted. If the ceiling is lower than that, then yeah, I could see him leaving.

Odds are really good he leaves or gets fired

People talk about USC as a spot. I thought I'd take a look. Helton was 5-1 this year pulled in the #8 class in the country. He's got at least 3 more years on his contract and a at least a $15-$20 buyout. He's already been to the Rose Bowl. He may have weathered the storm.
USC administration is not a fan of sports. Helton is safe but he is not a good coach.

Hope he stays long enough to win something, then he will have done the job.

I don't think you can just assume that coaching salaries are going to continue to go up at the same rate.

Covid has been a real kick in the teeth for big-time college FB programs. a year with no fans in the stands means Millions of $ in losses. Plus, no guarantee that we will be back anywhere close to full attendance in 2021.

And you can't necessarily count on TV money continuing to go up either, with more cord-cutting and people going to streaming services.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the economy of big-time college sports over the next 5 to 10 years.

I don't think you can just assume that coaching salaries are going to continue to go up at the same rate.

Covid has been a real kick in the teeth for big-time college FB programs. a year with no fans in the stands means Millions of $ in losses. Plus, no guarantee that we will be back anywhere close to full attendance in 2021.

And you can't necessarily count on TV money continuing to go up either, with more cord-cutting and people going to streaming services.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the economy of big-time college sports over the next 5 to 10 years.

Agree, although I don't think Covid will have a massive long term affect on programs as long as we get back to the point in 2021 where fans are allowed back into the stadiums.

I do however think there has to be a point where the top end salaries stop climbing at the insane levels that they have been. Head coaches pushing 10 million with multi-million dollar coordinators just isn't realistic for most programs. And even the helmet schools are likely to hit a point soon where they say enough is enough in terms of what they are paying coaches.

Found a story from 2010 about head coaches salaries. At the time Saban was leading the way with a base salary of a little over 5 mil with some extra compensation that pushed his total package close to 6 million. Fleck's current 4.6 million would have made him the 3rd highest paid coach in 2010 as opposed to #24 in 2020.

Essentially it looks like Head Coach salaries in college football have increased by about 4 million across the board in just 10 years. There is no way that is sustainable.

As for assistants. That data is tougher to find but I know for a fact that back in the earlier part of the 2000's, the coordinators were making low 6 figures and the position coaches rarely cracked 100K. Now I would bet you would be hard pressed to find any power 5 assistant making less then 100K and there are multiple coordinators making multi-million dollar salaries.

You know, I've gone on and on about how it doesn't make sense to me that PJ would go to the NFL. Bad match, he's more a salesman, etc. etc.

But then I watched the Hard Knocks from this season (HBO Max was really late in getting on Roku). And, well, I'm pretty convinced that Sean McVay is Fleck's twin brother but with keeping his hair (well, for now).

If PJ can do that .... he would easily be as successful as a head coach in the NFL. (He just can't bring all of his plastering slogans everyone on everything and putting his personal brand on the uniforms and such ... but he could probably live with that)

You know, I've gone on and on about how it doesn't make sense to me that PJ would go to the NFL. Bad match, he's more a salesman, etc. etc.

But then I watched the Hard Knocks from this season (HBO Max was really late in getting on Roku). And, well, I'm pretty convinced that Sean McVay is Fleck's twin brother but with keeping his hair (well, for now).

If PJ can do that .... he would easily be as successful as a head coach in the NFL. (He just can't bring all of his plastering slogans everyone on everything and putting his personal brand on the uniforms and such ... but he could probably live with that)

I was saying most coaches don’t spend 30+ years at one school. It happens. But its very rare. Odds are he is fired or moves on at some point before retiring.

I was saying most coaches don’t spend 30+ years at one school. It happens. But its very rare. Odds are he is fired or moves on at some point before retiring.
That's fine. I'm just adding on that I've done a 180 on this, and I would not be surprised if the thing that he leaves for is the NFL, as opposed to another more elite college program.

If he wants to stay in college for the rest of his career, then I do think there's a chance he stays at Minnesota for the long term. We will see

That's fine. I'm just adding on that I've done a 180 on this, and I would not be surprised if the thing that he leaves for is the NFL, as opposed to another more elite college program.

If he wants to stay in college for the rest of his career, then I do think there's a chance he stays at Minnesota for the long term. We will see

I think it is kind of pointless to project out for any coach more than a couple of years. With Fleck there are some that believe he is out the door the first time something new or shiny comes along. I have been of the mind and still am that he sticks it out here for quite a while. How long that ends up being is impossible to say but I don't see him looking to leave anytime in the next 5 years or so, unless some opportunity that was just too perfect to turn down came along.

Top Bottom