P.J. Fleck ‘committed’ to Gophers, sees outside interest as a ‘compliment’

BleedGopher

Reaction score
per Greder:

"I’m committed to the University of Minnesota; I think that is the easiest way to (explain) it,” Fleck said on a video conference call from Dinkytown. “We love it here. Simple as that. I think my agent (Bryan Harlan) spoke for the party of us. We love coaching here. We love being here.”

Go Gophers!!

One way or another we want coaches here ... who other people want too.

I try to limit my exposure to this kinda news as I'm a worrier, but there's no getting around that if the team is successful, that comes with this kind of news.

The phone rings, you answer it, plain and simple. I've never had any issue with that, from any coach. Like it's been said, better to have someone that's in demand than someone nobody is trying to recruit.

Blind allegiance to one school/franchise would mostly be stupid and irresponsible (most cases, not all). If someone is willing to overpay dramatically and it's for a great opportunity, of course you at least entertain the idea. Coaches move, it's a fact of life.

I've never been very worried about Fleck leaving; the list of schools that are considerably better options, and that would take Fleck and all of his schtick, is very likely a very very small list. My biggest hope is that he can somewhat consistently maintain some modicum of continuity on the staff.

The phone rings, you answer it, plain and simple. I've never had any issue with that, from any coach. Like it's been said, better to have someone that's in demand than someone nobody is trying to recruit.

Blind allegiance to one school/franchise would mostly be stupid and irresponsible (most cases, not all). If someone is willing to overpay dramatically and it's for a great opportunity, of course you at least entertain the idea. Coaches move, it's a fact of life.

I've never been very worried about Fleck leaving; the list of schools that are considerably better options, and that would take Fleck and all of his schtick, is very likely a very very small list. My biggest hope is that he can somewhat consistently maintain some modicum of continuity on the staff.

Absolutely spot on. The bolded part is so true; but I suppose the same logic that applies to a head coach is also valid for assistants: if the program is successful, the assistants will be in demand as well.

A side note: It's interesting that Kirk Ciarocca only lasted one season at Penn State; maybe that indicates the Gopher's offensive system is more a product of Fleck's thinking than it is of any assistant.

Good read. Won't put the panic crew at ease everytime Fleck's name gets mentioned, but at some point hopefully people can take him at his word and understand that he just might actually like it here and want to be here for a long time.

As long as the University stays committed to him and treats him fairly from a salary and resource standpoint, I don't see him having any real desire to jump ship for something else.

I've said before and will say it again:

- It's possible PJ loves coaching here, but could be enticed by money, brand name, etc. from a new school.
- It's possible PJ has bigger plans but never gets a bigger offer.
- It's possible PJ once saw this as a stepping stone job but changes his mind and decides he wants to stay here.

Nobody knows what is on his mind, and what the future holds, so we may as well just enjoy the ride, whether it lasts 2 more years or 20 more years.

He put to bed all conspiracy theories here.

A thought came to mind that he and his coaching staff may get pay raises every time he is mention as a possible candidate elsewhere. Eventually, Gopher Athletics will have to sign him to a long term sweetheart contract.

Let's enjoy this ride.

- It's possible PJ loves coaching here, but could be enticed by money, brand name, etc. from a new school.
- It's possible PJ once saw this as a stepping stone job but changes his mind and decides he wants to stay here.

Nobody knows what is on his mind, and what the future holds, so we may as well just enjoy the ride, whether it lasts 2 more years or 20 more years.

You forgot one choice

-It's possible PJ loves coaching here and wants follow in the footsteps of guys like Barry Alvarez, Hayden Fry, Pat Fitzgerald, Kirk Ferentz and really put down roots at a place long term.

He talks about being like those coaches, but many of our fans just can't believe him because...Lou Holtz.....35 years ago.

My gut still says PJ retires here, maybe goes the Barry Alvarez route and becomes AD after he's done coaching. Given how young PJ is, that's going to be a long career, and I think it will bring MN to new heights in the modern era.

You forgot one choice

-It's possible PJ loves coaching here and wants follow in the footsteps of guys like Barry Alvarez, Hayden Fry, Pat Fitzgerald, Kirk Ferentz and really put down roots at a place long term.

He talks about being like those coaches, but many of our fans just can't believe him because...Lou Holtz.....35 years ago.
Yes, very good point. The idea that everyone sees this as a stepping stone job just because Lou did is laughable.

Yes, very good point. The idea that everyone sees this as a stepping stone job just because Lou did is laughable.

I honestly think we are going to see a shift in the coaching landscape. They money is getting so good, that more and more coaches will be less likely to chase the "Helmet School" jobs with the insane expectations that come along with them.

Just my prediction at least. And don't get me wrong, there will always be coaches willing to take the leap, I just think we will see more coaches deciding that having success at what many view as second tier power 5 jobs might be good enough because those jobs come with added security that you don't find at the top spots.

I honestly think we are going to see a shift in the coaching landscape. They money is getting so good, that more and more coaches will be less likely to chase the "Helmet School" jobs with the insane expectations that come along with them.

Just my prediction at least. And don't get me wrong, there will always be coaches willing to take the leap, I just think we will see more coaches deciding that having success at what many view as second tier power 5 jobs might be good enough because those jobs come with added security that you don't find at the top spots.
I agree about the pressure and unrealistic expectations at the helmet schools, but I still think it's hard for any P5 coach to turn down doubling or tripling their salary.
To support your point though, people do need to realize that Fleck is being paid at a top 25 level. His salary is good and it would take a pretty penny and program to get him.

He put to bed all conspiracy theories here.

A thought came to mind that he and his coaching staff may get pay raises every time he is mention as a possible candidate elsewhere. Eventually, Gopher Athletics will have to sign him to a long term sweetheart contract.

Let's enjoy this ride.

I agree about the pressure and unrealistic expectations at the helmet schools, but I still think it's hard for any P5 coach to turn down doubling or tripling their salary.
To support your point though, people do need to realize that Fleck is being paid at a top 25 level. His salary is good and it would take a pretty penny and program to get him.

For a sitting power 5 coach right now there are only a couple schools that can even offer the potential to double your salary. There are schools that can pay more but the gap gets smaller all the time.

There will always be coaches that chase the $$ and the spotlight but I won't be surprised one bit to see more and more decide that maybe they have a great thing going where they are at and they don't need to risk it all.

I haven't been too concerned about another P5 school poaching Fleck for quite some time now. I'm a bit worried about an NFL team though.

per Greder:

"I’m committed to the University of Minnesota; I think that is the easiest way to (explain) it,” Fleck said on a video conference call from Dinkytown. “We love it here. Simple as that. I think my agent (Bryan Harlan) spoke for the party of us. We love coaching here. We love being here.”

Go Gophers!!
Kiss of death.

/S

At least he is not Carpet Bagger Lou Holtz.
He got a Presidential Medal of Freedom.
What a f@$%&#! joke! We might as well award Putin or Kim Jung Oon one.

Last edited:

Absolutely spot on. The bolded part is so true; but I suppose the same logic that applies to a head coach is also valid for assistants: if the program is successful, the assistants will be in demand as well.

A side note: It's interesting that Kirk Ciarocca only lasted one season at Penn State; maybe that indicates the Gopher's offensive system is more a product of Fleck's thinking than it is of any assistant.
Or Penn States previous OC was better. Or Franklin found someone better.

Well said.

People talk about USC as a spot. I thought I'd take a look. Helton was 5-1 this year pulled in the #8 class in the country. He's got at least 3 more years on his contract and a at least a $15-$20 buyout. He's already been to the Rose Bowl. He may have weathered the storm.

Top Bottom