Overheard at Notre Dame

AF_Howie_2180

Reaction score
I spent this past weekend back in the better halfs part of the country and while there took in the Notre Dame v Louisville game. While a great atmospher and experience in one of the great College FB cities I made a couple of observations.....#1 The Gophers Success is being noted by fans in South Bend. Several times when the MN/NEB score was shown comments were heard that, "Minnesota is no joke" "Look at that, Minnesota won another one" "Minnesota is really building something special this year".....#2 From talking with those around us, many long time fans in the area we were seated wish that ND was a member of the B10. They feel it would be a better fit and would have preseved the Michigan/ND game.

Yea, the ND/ACC partnership seems like a weird fit to me.

Have a hard time believing their fan base is really fired up about match-ups with Wake, UNC, Louisville etc.

Have a hard time believing their fan base is really fired up about match-ups with Wake, UNC, Louisville etc.

Especially since ND is more of a FB school and the ACC is more of a basketball conference (pretty good at FB, too).

Especially since ND is more of a FB school and the ACC is more of a basketball conference (pretty good at FB, too).
The Big Ten is more of a basketball conference lately. Can't blame Notre Dame for wanting to stick with their NBC contract. They obviously are scheduling a good enough teams to give themselves some losses.

My personal opinion: ND administration & faculty want in on the Big Ten badly, but they're flat out scared of the alumni.

Kick Rutgers out and let Notre Dame in!

Goldy: "Uhh, Scarlet Knight, can you step into the mascot lounge? We have some news we need to share with you."

Scarlet Knight: "Sure guys, what's this about? Hey, why is everyone here?"

Goldy: "Uhh, Scarlet Knight, can you step into the mascot lounge? We have some news we need to share with you."

Scarlet Knight: "Sure guys, what's this about? Hey, why is everyone here?"

Hey Scarlet Knight...
e598f076eeebcbef9109758e23a6064053df405db2cc7438f191b0a20dbbb80b.jpg

Has anyone posted that Jerry Kill may get an offer from Notre Dame? FIRST!

Too bad the money and politics could not have been worked out years ago. The Gophers have never beaten Notre Dame. During Bierman's National Championship years, they didn't play each other. Our best showing was a 7-7 tie when Bronko Nagurski was a sophomore! Since we now hear a lot of "The Gophers beat _______________ for the first time since ____________________", it would be something to fill in the blanks with the Irish!

I don't follow the bowl game tie-ins that closely. Is there any possibility of the Gophers playing ND in a bowl game?

I don't follow the bowl game tie-ins that closely. Is there any possibility of the Gophers playing ND in a bowl game?

I think our only chances would be Pinstripe or Quick Lane (apart from selection committee bowls) - those are the only bowls where the B1G and ACC face off.

I we were to bring ND in for the East, just bring Iowa State in for the West. That would be the simplest thing.....

Would rather kick out Maryland and Rutgers and just add Notre Dame. 2 for the price of 1 sounds good to me.

Conference Championship games are going to figure heavily into who get into the playoff. At that point, Notre Dame will realize they need to join a conference. And they will become a full member of ... the ACC.

Notre Dame and the ACC need each other badly.

We added Nebraska because of their fabled football program, and what else?:banghead:

Too bad the money and politics could not have been worked out years ago. The Gophers have never beaten Notre Dame. During Bierman's National Championship years, they didn't play each other. Our best showing was a 7-7 tie when Bronko Nagurski was a sophomore! Since we now hear a lot of "The Gophers beat _______________ for the first time since ____________________", it would be something to fill in the blanks with the Irish!

For the record, ND and Gophers last faced off in 1937 and 1938. We lost both times 7-6 and 19-0. Yes these were not our national championship years but these were some prime Bierman years. We won the Big Ten in both 1937 and 1938. The ND loss in '37 may have prevented a 4th consecutive national title. As it was we finished fifth in the country that year.

Interesting note: Way back in the 30's, Notre Dame wanted to join the Western Conference (Now the Big Ten), but Fielding Yost (Michigan's AD) wouldn't allow it.

If the Big Ten could get Notre Dame to join they would find a one more school and go to 16. They would probably snag whoever they wanted from the ACC and call it a day.

I we were to bring ND in for the East, just bring Iowa State in for the West. That would be the simplest thing.....

Perfect. Missouri would work in the west instead of ISU too.

People are saying throw out Rutgers and/or Maryland, I'm assuming there is some sarcasm to these posts. Did those schools get a commitment on how long they are guaranteed to be in the Big 10?

Top Bottom