Our WRs are not good

GopherWeatherGuy

Reaction score
The biggest issue with our offense is the WRs. When they play competent defenses they can’t get open. I’m tired of hearing how talented Dylan Wright is, he’s not a good WR. Mike Brown Stephens has been horrific the last two games. Daniel Jackson has looked the most competent, but he’s stilll average at best. None of these guys are capable of getting separation against good DBs. Until this changes, it doesn’t matter who the OC is or who the QB is. We are seeing the same thing we saw last season.

How do the Gophers go from two first team all big ten receivers to 4 yards total?

The biggest issue with our offense is the WRs. When they play competent defenses they can’t get open. I’m tired of hearing how talented Dylan Wright is, he’s not a good WR. Mike Brown Stephens has been horrific the last two games. Daniel Jackson has looked the most competent, but he’s stilll average at best. None of these guys are capable of getting separation against good DBs. Until this changes, it doesn’t matter who the OC is or who the QB is. We are seeing the same thing we saw last season.
The whole team is not good

We'd like to know if the Gophers' recruiting ceiling can be higher. It was always tough to recruit to Minnesota. PJ Fleck brought it up to respectability. It is not at the level to bring championships. Mike Sanford, Jr.'s hiring was a disaster.

The last two classes graduated several key players. Many of them end up in the NFL. The lost opportunity under Sanford is showing up now.

It is puzzling...the same two guys who developed...what? Two 1st round picks and a 2nd-3rd?
And now they don't seem to have a guy who can get open consistently or catch the dang ball?

Plus, it seems we focus on recruiting a ton of wide receiver prospects? Head scratcher...not sure what the answer is.

Logic says it should be a strength year in and year out...something fans can count on. How did we get to this point? If we aren't good at this...that's kind of alarming. Creates a lot questions...

The guys being thrown the ball aren’t open. But when the QB makes one read you’re relying on 1 guy being open on a particular play. If he were to look elsewhere maybe someone else is open.

On any given play the best receivers aren’t open. But one of the other WRs might be. Morgan lucked out with Bateman and TJ because they were able to get open at a really high rate. So he only needed to look at them.

The guys being thrown the ball aren’t open. But when the QB makes one read you’re relying on 1 guy being open on a particular play. If he were to look elsewhere maybe someone else is open.

On any given play the best receivers aren’t open. But one of the other WRs might be. Morgan lucked out with Bateman and TJ because they were able to get open at a really high rate. So he only needed to look at them.
And they almost always won the 50/50 balls when Morgan made questionable throws.

Well that’s part of the other problem. Morgan hasn’t had time to look past his 1st or 2nd option with the o line play the last two games.

If he has time he won’t look elsewhere. His pocket presence is lacking. And he can’t make up for it with his feet. The OL has struggled.

That's not true. He was constantly hitting his 3rd and 4th option in the Michigan St game. He's done it in plenty of other games where he has been good too.

If he has time he won’t look elsewhere. His pocket presence is lacking. And he can’t make up for it with his feet. The OL has struggled.
I think the much more mobile Athan is next man up so we will see if that changes things as you say. I think it will to a degree.

Yep. Our vanilla offense has been masking our receivers shortcomings for the last couple of years.

Wright will not be on the team next year. He will transfer. The coaches are done with him.

He is a me first ego guy that just wants balls thrown his way. He will be a star at some FCS school.

Watch him. He quits on routes. He can't get seperation. He goes 1/2 speed half the game.

First, the WRs who do get a shot need to catch the ball.

Second, it seems like the deflections this year...whether those when Tanner's throwing or from bumbled catches...end up as wounded ducks for the opposing team's taking. Probably an illusion but seems like more opportunities for disaster that really needs to stop.

Wright will not be on the team next year. He will transfer. The coaches are done with him.

He is a me first ego guy that just wants balls thrown his way. He will be a star at some FCS school.

Watch him. He quits on routes. He can't get seperation. He goes 1/2 speed half the game.
If this is true his position coach should be all over this. If he won't change he should be replaced. Who would replace him? Well, that might be a problem. But there should be someone on the team who will not quit on routes and go full speed all game. That first INT where our receiver failed to go after the ball in the air was an embarrassment for both the player and position coach. When the ball is in the air, Go Get It!

If this is true his position coach should be all over this. If he won't change he should be replaced. Who would replace him? Well, that might be a problem. But there should be someone on the team who will not quit on routes and go full speed all game. That first INT where our receiver failed to go after the ball in the air was an embarrassment for both the player and position coach. When the ball is in the air, Go Get It!

Watch the last interception of the game yesterday. He quit on it and it got intercepted. Then one of our assistant coaches lays into him as it happened on the sidelines. He pushes him away and keeps walking.

He is a guy that God gave talent to but he is too stubborn and uncoachable to use it correctly.

So far, he is probably the most disappointing WR prospect since legendary Gopher commit Hayo Carpenter.

Watch the last interception of the game yesterday. He quit on it and it got intercepted. Then one of our assistant coaches lays into him as it happened on the sidelines. He pushes him away and keeps walking.

He is a guy that God gave talent to but he is too stubborn and uncoachable to use it correctly.
Well, that's a problem.

That's not true. He was constantly hitting his 3rd and 4th option in the Michigan St game. He's done it in plenty of other games where he has been good too.
So games he’s good he can look at more options and every other game he can’t. That’s a problem.

I think the much more mobile Athan is next man up so we will see if that changes things as you say. I think it will to a degree.
No doubt. Not saying Athan is the second coming but his legs can extend a play or beat a defense if he gets going. Morgan’s legs do not do that.

Why didn’t Potts touch the field yesterday?
Probably had something to do with Mo having a great game. I assume Williams is better in pass protection than Potts so when Mo did go out it was Williams in the backfield on those plays.

Top Bottom