Our OC sucks

Kirk not doing well at Penn State. Don't know how he is doing today though.
- As I thought, they ended up winning their last three games vs Rutgers, Michigan, and Michigan State.
- They beat Indiana. Had the game won. Freak situation.
- Played Ohio State as tough as Indiana played them (one of two teams this season to do so).
- caught Maryland after their offensive outburst against us in Week 2, their hair was on fire, bad timing
- caught Nebraska at the worst time too, their pinnacle
- Iowa is just a better team, is what it is

Assuming Minn-Wisc and Purdon't-IU next week, and having already played Iowa and Nebraska, and NW in the champ game, I assume they'll get Illinois at home. Should end the season on a four game winning streak. Bowl game probably not at 4-5, but you never know, depending on how many bowls there are.

I just looked at Pat Friermuth’s stats for the year: 23 catches for 310 yards and 1 TD through 8 games. Last year he was at 43/507/7. So he’s getting fewer targets than last year with Ciarocca, but still significantly more than our TEs got under Kirk.
Just FYI, they announced that his season ended a month ago due to injury. The stats you cite for him are through the four games that he played.

Honestly, I like the wrinkles Sanford is trying to introduce. The 2RB sets, wheel routes for the backs, TE routes, etc. The scheming for some games has been less than ideal. Iowa game, no idea why we kept calling long-developing routes instead of the intermediate game.

Im excited to see what things looks like with an actual off-season that allows for player development and true scheme installation.

I’m still waiting to see if SomeDay is going to return to this thread. Not as a gotcha moment, I’m just generally interested at what point in the game yesterday could someone have been so dismayed by our offensive play calling.

Question - is it on the OC, the QB or the HC for the way the team uses the play clock. constantly running the play clock down to :01 or :00 - calling time outs when they run out of time to run a play - or looking disjointed when they rush the count to beat the snap.

And how many times do the backs need to step away from the line and look at the bench? What are they looking at?

Drives me freakin' nuts.
This is offensive football methodology.

It's how the offense gets its rhythm. 90% of the time, there is no signal from the bench to change the play. It's to maintain rhythm and ball control.

I guess most fans don't understand offensive football and rhythm. This is how Minnesota (and dozens of other NCAA teams) run their plays. They are worse when they go hurry-up.

So the 3-4 times the clock running down too close for some fan's comfort should mandate a complete change to the offensive methodology?

Gee whiz--no other team in football gets into these same binds each week. Only happened to Russell Wilson--Russell Wilson, the apparent west-coast GOAT--SIX times on the last two Sundays. 3 TO, one delay of game, and two INT.

This is a non-issue.

I honestly love the way the Gophers run the offense -- to include bleeding the clock on every play. It's like what Kill tried to do, but PJ is better at it.

This is offensive football methodology.

It's how the offense gets its rhythm. 90% of the time, there is no signal from the bench to change the play. It's to maintain rhythm and ball control.

I guess most fans don't understand offensive football and rhythm. This is how Minnesota (and dozens of other NCAA teams) run their plays. They are worse when they go hurry-up.

So the 3-4 times the clock running down too close for some fan's comfort should mandate a complete change to the offensive methodology?

Gee whiz--no other team in football gets into these same binds each week. Only happened to Russell Wilson--Russell Wilson, the apparent west-coast GOAT--SIX times on the last two Sundays. 3 TO, one delay of game, and two INT.

This is a non-issue.
TO piggy back on this, during the Nebraska game every time we looked at the sideline offensively, Nebraska's defense looked at their sideline in a similar fashion.

Which now has me wondering, could a trick play be formed around this? QB looks to the sideline, WRs loosen up as if they're waiting for the sideline, direct snap to an RB? It'd probably be pretty tough to pull off.

TO piggy back on this, during the Nebraska game every time we looked at the sideline offensively, Nebraska's defense looked at their sideline in a similar fashion.

Which now has me wondering, could a trick play be formed around this? QB looks to the sideline, WRs loosen up as if they're waiting for the sideline, direct snap to an RB? It'd probably be pretty tough to pull off.
Certainly. And I’m sure there is a % of the time the team looks to the sideline and the call they get is a dummy call

Honestly, I like the wrinkles Sanford is trying to introduce. The 2RB sets, wheel routes for the backs, TE routes, etc. The scheming for some games has been less than ideal. Iowa game, no idea why we kept calling long-developing routes instead of the intermediate game.

Im excited to see what things looks like with an actual off-season that allows for player development and true scheme installation.
Bolded: how do you know that those wrinkles aren't from Matt Simon??

I just looked at Pat Friermuth’s stats for the year: 23 catches for 310 yards and 1 TD through 8 games. Last year he was at 43/507/7. So he’s getting fewer targets than last year with Ciarocca, but still significantly more than our TEs got under Kirk.

Friermuth only played in 4 games this season. He was actually almost twice as productive this season under Kirk than he was last year. Our view of him is somewhat jaded because he had a big game against us following a big game against Michigan State. Last season, he had 7 games with fewer than 40 yards receiving and 6 games with 3 receptions or fewer.

2020 Big 10 Per Game
5.75 Rec - 77.5 yards - .25TD

2019 Big 10 Per Game
3,4 Rec - 36.4 yards - .44TD

Friermuth only played in 4 games this season. He was actually almost twice as productive this season under Kirk than he was last year. Our view of him is somewhat jaded because he had a big game against us following a big game against Michigan State. Last season, he had 7 games with fewer than 40 yards receiving and 6 games with 3 receptions or fewer.

2020 Big 10 Per Game
5.75 Rec - 77.5 yards - .25TD

2019 Big 10 Per Game
3,4 Rec - 36.4 yards - .44TD
As I’m sure you know, last year they also had KJ Hamler, drafted 2nd round.

Looks quickly at stats from 9 B1G games last year and 6 this year.

PPG: (2019) 33 and (2020) 29
Rush 193ypg and 200 ypg
Pass 257ypg and 202 ypg
total 450 ypg and 400 ypg

3rd down 49.5% and 49.3%
4th down 61.5% and 50%

Red zone TD's 69% and 73%

I really don't see a change needed after 1 year especially during COVID. This team lost a NFL WR (Johnson) 2 starting OL (Faalele and Dunlap) and an NFL RB (Smith). Also the defense was not help early in the season.

Line-ups were different every week and the offense still found a way to produce.

Yes there is room for improvement and they will need a great off-season with tOSU coming to town for the first game in 2021.

Rush 193ypg and 200 ypg
Pass 257ypg and 202 ypg

3rd down 49.5% and 49.3%
4th down 61.5% and 50%

I really don't see a change needed after 1 year especially during COVID. This team lost a NFL WR (Johnson) 2 starting OL (Faalele and Dunlap) and an NFL RB (Smith). Also the defense was not help early in the season.

Line-ups were different every week and the offense still found a way to produce.

Yes there is room for improvement and they will need a great off-season with tOSU coming to town for the first game in 2021.
...and the all-important TE stats.

2019 10 catches for 88 and 2 TDs. (13 games)
2020 6 catches for 62 and 2 TDs. (6 games)

Our quarterback got honorable mention all big ten. I agree he regressed from last year but they had significantly fewer practices to become acquainted and work with the new coordinator. The offense will be up and running full speed after a full spring routine. Book it.

I honestly love the way the Gophers run the offense -- to include bleeding the clock on every play. It's like what Kill tried to do, but PJ is better at it.
I agree and am with you to a point. I don't like seeing the Gophers go from draining the clock constantly to then try and hurry up and look really bad doing it. It happens now and then.

I agree and am with you to a point. I don't like seeing the Gophers go from draining the clock constantly to then try and hurry up and look really bad doing it. It happens now and then.
Yeah, tough to come from behind that way, especially when you're loosey goosey with timeouts. But having a legit deep threat certainly helps off set that.

Our quarterback got honorable mention all big ten. I agree he regressed from last year but they had significantly fewer practices to become acquainted and work with the new coordinator. The offense will be up and running full speed after a full spring routine. Book it.
Especially with the OL likely getting back at least one all-conference player, if not 2. They're going to be ridiculous next year. If Mo returns and the team is competing for the conference he'll legit be in the Heisman race. It'll go to a QB as always, but he'll break some rushing records.

Especially with the OL likely getting back at least one all-conference player, if not 2. They're going to be ridiculous next year. If Mo returns and the team is competing for the conference he'll legit be in the Heisman race. It'll go to a QB as always, but he'll break some rushing records.
I agree. I think our offense will be much better next year.
I have not liked our OC much prior to the Nebraska game.
But, I thought he was pretty good on the Nebraska game.
The fourth quarters have been all on PJ imo He is the one bleeding the clock with runs then and on each down of the play clock throughout the entire game.
The fourth quarter mixed in some passes vs Nebraska.

Well, you can blame the OC if you want but I look at it differently.

We were supposed to have the top 6 linemen returning to start the season. We did not. We were down Big Dan and Dunlap, so the unit that has to work together as a team the most had to reshuffle and integrate new players. We had no non-conference to adjust. They did ok, but not as well as we thought they would have done if they came back in tact. Six games in, they look like a force again.

Is that the OC?

Secondly, our defense was a freaking train wreck to start the season. We couldn't stop anyone. The offense still put up points! If we had a mediocre defense against Michigan and Maryland, we would only have 1 loss. It took time for the defense to come together as a unit. I'm pretty sure we would beat both those teams today.

COVID. We played several games without key players on special teams. That makes life hard on everyone.

Don't blame the OC. The stats show the Gophers are pretty decent at scoring. And Mo is a freaking beast!

Yeah overall, Morgan's year has not been good. Hopefully he bounces back.

Rush 193ypg and 200 ypg
Pass 257ypg and 202 ypg

3rd down 49.5% and 49.3%
4th down 61.5% and 50%

Thanks Matt Simon!!

Still no word if Schlueter and Olson are going to return? Assuming Faalele will come back for 21 and be fully healthy. Don't know when Dunlap will be 100% healthy.

We have options at Tackle, with Andries capable of playing there (but I think he's better for guard) and the young pup Ersery getting his first taste.

So that said, if Schlueter moves on in life, I won't be the most disappointed. But would really love to get Olson back as a covid super-senior, if he doesn't have NFL prospects. He can play every interior position, including center if JMS goes down.

Yeah overall, Morgan's year has not been good. Hopefully he bounces back.

It seems like I've seen a lot more drops this year (I can't back that up with stats) and younger receivers that don't get as much separation. Some of Morgan's success last year and struggles this year are probably in the receiving corps. OL has been ragged at times too...they started slowly last year as well.

It seems like I've seen a lot more drops this year (I can't back that up with stats) and younger receivers that don't get as much separation. Some of Morgan's success last year and struggles this year are probably in the receiving corps. OL has been ragged at times too...they started slowly last year as well.
Even Bateman had some drops. And of course he was trying to force the ball to Bateman all year.

We're better off without him, now, sadly.

Some of it is skewed because he doesn't have 30 TD's we have 20 rushing TD's this year. His stats are down and that was bound to happen. Last year was a year for the ages. They are attempting shorter passes are aren't stretching the field as well.

I agree that there have been more significant drops. I would say over the last two years that drops have been bigger than Morgan not being good. Iowa game last year had a couple big drops as well.

They are attempting shorter passes are aren't stretching the field as well.

Thanks Sanford. :cautious:

That's some of it, mixed with some pretty poor choices for passes. Made some awesome throws and some very bad ones. 5 TDs and 4 INTs in six games. He's such a gamer it's hard to be too critical, though.

Philosophy on protection is also a key component to Morgan's success last year.

KC often would protect him with 7 blockers, giving him time to wait and then make very accurate throws.

Sanford prefers a more wide-open scheme, often with only the OL protecting and sometimes the RB too. That leaves more vulnerable to blitzes. Have to wonder if opposing DC's last year were less likely to blitz because we so often had extra blockers?

Top Bottom