Oturu last night

I am done with Demir. He is crafty in the paint at times but his outside shot is putrid (zero for his last 16), he can't defend, can't jump and doesn't handle the ball securely. More Ihnen please. I'd rather see Omersa out there than Demir.

As a team we should now go all out on building the team for next season. Demir should get 10 minutes per game to rest Omersa and Innen (sp?).

As a team we should now go all out on building the team for next season. Demir should get 10 minutes per game to rest Omersa and Innen (sp?).

While our chances took a serious hit, we should absolutely still be trying to make the tournament.

While our chances took a serious hit, we should absolutely still be trying to make the tournament.
with the wall that Demir has hit im not sure that playing Ihnen and Omersa more is really gonna hurt our chances on trying to make the tourney

with the wall that Demir has hit im not sure that playing Ihnen and Omersa more is really gonna hurt our chances on trying to make the tourney

That's fair, I'm more responding to his comment that we should "go all out on building the team for next season" because that implies we should give up. I'm not onboard with giving up on the tournament yet. I also think Demir still offers more than Omersa.

I Thought Pitino brought in a Big Frosh from Texas that was too good to red shirt this season

I am done with Demir. He is crafty in the paint at times but his outside shot is putrid (zero for his last 16), he can't defend, can't jump and doesn't handle the ball securely. More Ihnen please. I'd rather see Omersa out there than Demir.
Excuse me!! This is Oturu’s derogatory thread. Let’s not muddy it up with disparagement of others. :mad:

He also hasn't been put into a position to succeed. He's been bad, but it's tough to expect people to succeed when they are being utilized incorrectly.
What? Demir was having a really good stretch last month, doesn't really seem like much has changed except his level of play.

That's fair, I'm more responding to his comment that we should "go all out on building the team for next season" because that implies we should give up. I'm not onboard with giving up on the tournament yet. I also think Demir still offers more than Omersa.

I actually agree with this. You can hide Demir's warts. If he would have spent his minutes guarding Bunk, Thompson or Davis, his inability to defend wouldn't have been so obvious. I know Thompson had a good game yesterday.

The truth is, they are both limited but they are limited in different ways. A good coach would move those pieces around in a way to maximize their ability and minimize their inabilities.

Putting Demir on Garza and Jackson-Davis was guaranteeing he would have a horrible game.

What? Demir was having a really good stretch last month, doesn't really seem like much has changed except his level of play.

In the last three games, Pitino has put him on Lamar Stephens, Luka Garza and Jackson-Davis without help for long stretches. He had absolutely no chance of being successful in those instances.

Early in the season, it happened a bit, but I also think scouting has caught up to Pitino. Other teams are noticing "hey, they'll really leave this guy alone on a premier player" and they are beating that matchup like a drum. In a way we did not see at the beginning of the season.

In the last three games, Pitino has put him on Lamar Stephens, Luka Garza and Jackson-Davis without help for long stretches. He had absolutely no chance of being successful in those instances.

Early in the season, it happened a bit, but I also think scouting has caught up to Pitino. Other teams are noticing "hey, they'll really leave this guy alone on a premier player" and they are beating that matchup like a drum. In a way we did not see at the beginning of the season.
I guess I thought your original comment was related to his offensive struggles of late, yeah it's tough for him to defend any forward in the big 10 let alone the other teams top scorer

Oturu was sick before the Iowa game. It's possible he's still recovering from that.

I think Oturu and Carr are simply worn out. Playing 35+ minutes every game because there is no depth will do that.

I actually agree with this. You can hide Demir's warts. If he would have spent his minutes guarding Bunk, Thompson or Davis, his inability to defend wouldn't have been so obvious. I know Thompson had a good game yesterday.

The truth is, they are both limited but they are limited in different ways. A good coach would move those pieces around in a way to maximize their ability and minimize their inabilities.

Putting Demir on Garza and Jackson-Davis was guaranteeing he would have a horrible game.
Yeah but if Oturu gets in early foul trouble guarding those guys- we are toast. That's the problem.

That's why Omersa and Ihnen are both better options. Ihnen is surprisingly disruptive in there with those long arms and ability to get in the air. He has learned over the course of the year to get in a defensive stance- and get wide and has really improved a ton. He's not strong enough yet, but that kid is going to be tough when he gets confidence and strength to go to the hole off the drive.

Demir's outside shooting is causing teams to lay off of him and shade towards Oturu or Carr and that is a killer. I don't think you can hide him on either end.

I think Oturu and Carr are simply worn out. Playing 35+ minutes every game because there is no depth will do that.

Agree with this. Also, at what point does a young man get frustrated with the lack of support, specifically outside shooting?? If I am drawing up a game plan, it's make the gophers beat you from outside. Doesn't help that he doesn't get the calls that a Garza or even Jackson-Davis got last night. Seemed to me that every bit of contact was called for Jackson-Davis but Oturu doesn't get those same calls....but I am admittedly biased.

Think Bardo said it on the broadcast...the body language in the second half was awful. Particularly for a team playing for their tournament life. I never had the feeling they were going to get over the hump in the second half.

Yeah but if Oturu gets in early foul trouble guarding those guys- we are toast. That's the problem.

That's why Omersa and Ihnen are both better options. Ihnen is surprisingly disruptive in there with those long arms and ability to get in the air. He has learned over the course of the year to get in a defensive stance- and get wide and has really improved a ton. He's not strong enough yet, but that kid is going to be tough when he gets confidence and strength to go to the hole off the drive.

Demir's outside shooting is causing teams to lay off of him and shade towards Oturu or Carr and that is a killer. I don't think you can hide him on either end.

Yeah, you'll get no argument from me that Ihnen should be getting all of Demir's minutes. I am completely comfortable with a rotation of Omersa/Demir as the third big depending upon match ups too. Heck, if Demir refuses to shoot/can't hit a shot, I'd put Hurt in there with Demir.

I just don't think you can take a guy struggling (Demir) and ask him to guard people that he physically cannot defend, one-on-one, and then expect that whooping to not impact his entire game.

As to your point on Oturu, it's absolutely valid. That's why those minutes should have gone ti Ihnen, or Demir with lots of help.

Top Bottom