Other B1G Non-conference Games 2023-24

Thanksgiving game action. #19 Tennessee faces Big Ten #21 Indiana. Former Gophers Jasmine Powell and Sara Scalia face each other.

View attachment 28436

Powell missed her last game due to injury.

Senior point guard Jasmine Powell, who wore a brace on her right hand, and sophomore guard Avery Strickland were not dressed to play...

Powell has played significant minutes to start the season and has been Tennessee's best on-ball defender. Powell is averaging 10.3 points, three rebounds and 2.3 assists this season. Strickland has played limited minutes off the bench.

On Monday, Indiana's senior guard Sara Scalia won Big Ten Player of the Week honors.

Scalia, in her second season at Indiana after transferring from Minnesota, averaged 23 points, five rebounds and four assists in Indiana's wins over Murray State and Lipscomb. Across the two games, the Stillwater, Minnesota native had an assist-to-turnover ratio of plus-eight. Scalia shot 50% from the field and 54% from 3-point range.

In the first game of the week against Murray State, Scalia scored 22 points, grabbed four rebounds and dished out three assists. In the Indiana's second contest of the week against Lipscomb, Scalia put up 24 points while going 5-7 from distance.

This is the second Big Ten Player of the Week award Scalia has won in her collegiate career. She also won the award during her junior season at Minnesota.
Powell has 12 points playing today and Scalia with 10 points. IU up 18 points with 3 minutes left.

Indiana's Mackenzie Holmes surpasses 2,000 with 20 against Princeton.

1700938425885.png

Sara Scalia scored 28 points with five 3-pointers too.

Including the last two seasons, Princeton has played in the NCAA Tournament 10 of the last 13 years.

Mackenzie Holmes:

“I think we knew we were capable. None of us were happy leaving Stanford... We knew we would be so much better, because we’re a really hard-working group with a great coaching staff behind us.”

Holmes scored 17 against her #19 Tennessee opponents, a bounce back after loss to Stanford.

Last edited:

Ohio State looking fairly dominant against Tennessee. Thought the 4th foul on McMahon was ticky tack.

Plitzuweit's former team, West Virginia, is now 8-0 after defeating #25 Penn State 7-2 in Morgantown 83-65.

Plitzuweit's former team, West Virginia, is now 8-0 after defeating #25 Penn State 7-2 in Morgantown 83-65.

Whew! That's a relief! Penn State is a prime adversary to surpass this season, both vying to make the NCAA Tournament team that only has so many spots.

ESPN:
Rising Lions - Penn State earned its first ranking since 2014, coming into the poll at No. 25. The Nittany Lions are 7-1, with the lone loss a one-point defeat to USC over Thanksgiving weekend. It's the first time the team has won seven of its first eight games since the 2003-04 season.

Penn State entered the Top 25 this week too at 25! Or I mean they did, I mean they were.

When Gophers play Penn State, they really need to take them down.

Nebraska is emerging as a contender with streakiness.

12-2-23: "The Huskers fought back from a 15-point deficit to beat Georgia Tech 80-72. The win is the first in program history over the Yellow Jackets as NU lost the previous matchups in 1992 and 2011. A back-and-forth first quarter saw Nebraska take a 16-12 lead into the break. But then the shooting went ice cold."

Later, Nebraska had a 40-15 run against GT, including a 12-0 run, to come from behind and win 80-72. Gophers need to not be GT Part II.

11-30-23: "The name of the game for the Huskers Wednesday night was defense. Nebraska women’s basketball played with contagious energy and discipline on their defensive end from bell to bell, propelling them to a double-digit victory over the Florida Atlantic University Owls.

It was a rough first quarter offensively for the Big Red, going 7-23 from the field and 1-7 from three. But where they lacked offensively, they made up for on the other end."

CNN Caitlin Clark had a game-high 35 points on her way to an unprecedented achievement as her Iowa Hawkeyes took down their in-state rivals, the Iowa State Cyclones, 67-58 on Wednesday.
The reigning consensus national player of the year registered her 3,000th career point on the night, making her the 15th player in NCAA Division I women’s basketball history to accomplish the feat.

Clark’s scoring outburst also meant that she entered uncharted territory. She is the only player in Division I men’s or women’s basketball history with 3,000+ points, 750+ rebounds and 750+ assists.

1702131422622.png

Michigan State showing some full-court press, in what looks like it'll be a failed attempt to catch up to Nebraska, ahead by 15 with 4 minutes to go.

Michigan State showing some full-court press, in what looks like it'll be a failed attempt to catch up to Nebraska, ahead by 15 with 4 minutes to go.
NB wins but MSU made it close. Rutgers up
10-9 against IN after the 1st. Scalia expanding her 3 range a la Clark but she missed , lol.

Oops, sorry. Just realized this shouldn't be in the non-con thread.

#12 Ohio State is favored by 1.5 points over #2 UCLA

1702759868667.png

Lauren Betts and Cotie McMahon
1702759766292.png

Well, that is a barometer of where we stand development-wise. That is if we employ the transitive property.

OSU was up with 5 min left in the 2nd Qtr then let things slip a little. They are lucky that UCLA was been ice cold from three at 0 - 10 or it probably wouldn't be close.

1702945385626.png

Ohio State field goal percentage 34.2 so far to 47.4 for UCLA.

Ohio State pulled within 6 at the end.

Both Southern Cal teams this season beat a good Ohio State team, the best in the Big Ten not counting Caitlin Clark.

UCLA and USC go to the top of the Big Ten next year.

I wonder what the buzz will be like there.

Ohio State pulled within 6 at the end.

Both Southern Cal teams this season beat a good Ohio State team, the best in the Big Ten not counting Caitlin Clark.

UCLA and USC go to the top of the Big Ten next year.

I wonder what the buzz will be like there.
I take it you don't think Minnesota will be good enough to vie for a championship. When those west coast schools come to the B1G it won't be any cake walk for them. Can't wait to see them travel all over the countryside. It'll be a totally different deal for them.

I take it you don't think Minnesota will be good enough to vie for a championship. When those west coast schools come to the B1G it won't be any cake walk for them. Can't wait to see them travel all over the countryside. It'll be a totally different deal for them.

Yea, you're right about your point, it won't be a cakewalk. I know what you mean. I wonder if Clark will be back for another year at Iowa?

My intuition tells me some people have made an extra push to make the Southern Cal teams good because that media market is huge and all the extra exposure it could bring via celebrities, the Industry. It's good for TV ratings and the sport overall to have success there, some surely would conclude.

At first, and then back down! LOL

For Minnesota, I would be thrilled if they get to dance, the Tournament. That's a big deal being on the bracket. I don't know much beyond that.

Yea, you're right about your point, it won't be a cakewalk. I know what you mean. I wonder if Clark will be back for another year at Iowa?

My intuition tells me some people have made an extra push to make the Southern Cal teams good because that media market is huge and all the extra exposure it could bring via celebrities, the Industry. It's good for TV ratings and the sport overall to have success there, some surely would conclude.

At first, and then back down! LOL

For Minnesota, I would be thrilled if they get to dance, the Tournament. That's a big deal being on the bracket. I don't know much beyond that.
Clark is a hard one to determine. I myself don't think she'll be back. I wish she would though.
The industry can push all they want to but it's up to the players and coaches to get them there. The B1G teams will push back hard. If the officiating gets out of control well we all know how that works. The NIL might help keep it all in check.
Minny has all the tools to be very good. I can see them getting into the dance this year. Where they'll really shine is next year. Having a full year under a new coaching staff and style of play is huge. Nobody is going to want to play them.

Clark is a hard one to determine. I myself don't think she'll be back. I wish she would though.
The industry can push all they want to but it's up to the players and coaches to get them there. The B1G teams will push back hard. If the officiating gets out of control well we all know how that works. The NIL might help keep it all in check.
Minny has all the tools to be very good. I can see them getting into the dance this year. Where they'll really shine is next year. Having a full year under a new coaching staff and style of play is huge. Nobody is going to want to play them.

And it's a great year to be an Iowa fan. Like super amazing. Look at your peer group.

1703032912316.png

Well, lots of basketball yet ahead in Big Ten play.

I wonder how Minnesota matches up with Iowa.

And it's a great year to be an Iowa fan. Like super amazing. Look at your peer group.

View attachment 29070

Well, lots of basketball yet ahead in Big Ten play.

I wonder how Minnesota matches up with Iowa.
I'm glad the first meeting is in Carver. Gophers almost always plays a really good game against the Hawks. I'm nervous about this game. Hawks have a slim advantage from 3 and the Hawks have a better team average shooting free throws. With that said it's going to be entertaining for sure. Hawks have the most to lose and the Gophers will be scrapping like crazy to beat the no.4 team in the nation. Hawks need to keep my favorite Gopher ( Heyer ) from scoring and rebounding. I think that's a key for a Hawkeye win.

Top Bottom