Other B1G Non-conference Games 2023-24

Illinois lost to Arkansas 59-60. Michigan lost to Florida 65-82. Nebraska lost to Kansas 52-69.
Purdue, Penn State, and Maryland all won big today.

Illinois lost to Arkansas 59-60. Michigan lost to Florida 65-82. Nebraska lost to Kansas 52-69.
Purdue, Penn State, and Maryland all won big today.
At least compared to last season, a poor non-conference season for the BIG as a whole. Illinois, Michigan, Purdue and Nebraska, all supposed middle teams or perhaps better, put up especially disappointing non-con records. Illinois has played 4 non-con teams with a pulse, and lost all 4. Michigan went 0-2 against Power 6 teams (and lost to a solid-not-great Toledo team). Nebraska went 1-3 against top 100 non-con teams. Purdue went 1-4 against Power 6 teams, and was drubbed by UCLA and Notre Dame.

As a whole, the BIG went 2-19 (Iowa went 2-1) against non-con teams ranked in this week's AP poll (IU and OSU beat a then ranked Tennessee team playing without Rickea Jackson). Last season, the BIG was 18-20 in non-conference Quad 1 games (this excludes post-season). This year, if I have my numbers straight from WarrenNolan.com, the BIG is 6-24 (Iowa is 3-1) in non-con Quad 1 games. Thus, it is not surprising that the BIG has fallen to 5th in the NET conference ratings. Could hurt some BIG bubble teams come March, and could hurt the seeding of top BIG teams if they stumble in conference.

Last edited:

At least compared to last season, a poor non-conference season for the BIG as a whole. Illinois, Michigan, Purdue and Nebraska, all supposed middle teams or perhaps better, put up especially disappointing non-con records. Illinois has played 4 non-con teams with a pulse, and lost all 4. Michigan went 0-2 against Power 6 teams (and lost to a solid-not-great Toledo team). Nebraska went 1-3 against top 100 non-con teams. Purdue went 1-4 against Power 6 teams, and was drubbed by UCLA and Notre Dame.

As a whole, the BIG went 2-19 (Iowa went 2-1) against non-con teams ranked in this week's AP poll (IU and OSU beat a then ranked Tennessee team playing without Rickea Jackson). Last season, the BIG was 18-20 in non-conference Quad 1 games (this excludes post-season). This year, if I have my numbers straight from WarrenNolan.com, the BIG is 6-24 (Iowa is 3-1) in non-con Quad 1 games. Thus, it is not surprising that the BIG has fallen to 5th in the NET conference ratings. Could hurt some BIG bubble teams come March, and could hurt the seeding of top BIG teams if they stumble in conference.
Maryland has been especially surprising to me. Tough schedule, but they've lost games I'd have expected them to win in other years.

Not quite the non conference season from the Big Ten we are used to seeing the past couple of seasons. Could hurt the number of teams from the conference going to the NCAA, although not all that impressed with the SEC after their top teams either. More parity and I think we’re seeing the 5th and 6th years players transitioning out of eligibility after the COVID years. It does appear the Gophers are trending in the right direction tho.

BLOOMINGTON — Indiana women’s basketball finished its nonconference slate with a victory, taking down Bowling Green, 84-35, on Friday night.

The Hoosiers are now 10-1 heading into a nine-day break. They will resume Big Ten play with Illinois on Dec. 31.

Here are three observations from the game:

Sara Scalia steps up

Senior guard Sara Scalia has cemented her role in the Hoosiers’ starting lineup as the 3-point shooting phenom...

Top Bottom